Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Getting Bord

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Bord

If i were you i would get the 300ex because it is a great wheelie quad and it also has reverse.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Getting Bord

I WOULD LOOK FOR A 250X,300EX, OR A 400EX.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Getting Bord

So we have narrowed it down to a used Banshee, 300ex, or 200x...Ive heard stuff about the 350x 3 wheeler and heard it is a very dangerous bike. Yes I have experience on 3 wheelers but that bike might not have the stabilty for the trails I ride. Another question I have is if I buy an older model banshee am I gonna have problems with engine life and running problems? Last question is will the 200x keep up with my buddies 94 trx 300?
A 350x would not be any more dangerous than a 200x other than the fact that it has more power. You just have to be careful while getting used to it.

The Banshee:
Two strokes are easy to rebuild. The main thing I would watch out for on an older banshee would be any tranny problems. Things get a bit more complicated if you have to split the cases. If it shifts through the gears fine and the kickstart works fine, you are probably ok.

The 200x:
A 200x will whip a fourtrax 300. The 200x is not far behind a 300ex and with minor mods it will whip the ex too.

Reverse:

Yes you will probably miss reverse but if you've never had it before it won't matter much. The 200x and banshee are pretty easy to turn around.

Of these three bikes the 300ex is the best all around.

The banshee is the rocket ship that will put a grin on your face every time you wind it out.

The 200x is a neat rig that can still compete with and whip many utility bikes and small sport bikes.

Prices:

banshee 1700 and up

300ex 1500 and up

200x 500 to 1000

Old 02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Range Rover
Default Getting Bord

Sounds like youd love a 300ex. I can ***** mine in 1st through 3rd. Its not the fastest top end but i can rip through the woods. You can get a 300ex in decient shape for about 1700.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Getting Bord

Every time I read a thread like this one I cringe. It isn't because I am older, or wiser etc... it comes from experience, learned the hard way... and I have the aches and pains, and walk with a cane to prove it.

Many of us in the over 40 crowd have been where you are right now. We know what it is like to have pure adrenaline and testosterone flowing through our veins.... All I can say is please, for your own safety, and your future health, think about what you are doing.

Now I am not saying that you can't do wheelies, jump tall buildings etc... all I am asking is that you do a few things BEFOR you go out and tempt fate... Things like make sure you have ALL the safety gear available, and wear it religously. If you look at the guys doing all the extreme stuff, underneath the flashy gear, they have more body armor than soldiers in IRAQ. It is there for a reason.

Secondly, take time to scout out the areas where you intend to do your tricks before you get going. Know what is in front of you, and be aware of other riders who might pop out of the woods in front of you at the worst possible time.

Lastly, please do not do your stunts in a manner where they will either influence younger riders into thinking they can do it too, or where the little old widow woman next door is going to be offended by loud noise or getting her petunias torn up. And let's make sure you do not do it on the street under any circumstances. All it does is make us all look like hooligans.. and that is one image we are trying to live down every day.

The bottom line is be responsible. You can get your thrills, still be a rebel and have your fun, and live to tell about it, and still do it responsibly. If your buds act out, correct them.

We need the fresh blood and fresh ideas your generation brings to the table... but we need you to not be the problem either. We have enough to worry about with the environmentalist attacks against our sport.. we don't need to have to fight the battle on two fronts from within the ranks.

Good luck, and have fun... and I hope to see you make it to the sage age....

Dragginbutt