Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need some advice on buying 1st ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on buying 1st ATV

I'd say take everything people say on here with a grain of salt. Go to the dealers...or riding buddies, and take 'em all for a spin. Each one sports slightly different ergonomics, and features. Weigh the fit, and the features to make your choice. But most of all, welcome to the ATV community, lot's of fun to be had.....just wear your noggin' bucket. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: reconranger
The Suzuki Z400 is by far the best all-around machine out there. Skip the 400EX/one dealer idea, and go find a Suzuki dealer and get yourself one! I own both the EX and the Z, so this isn't just some brand loyalty BS!
If you wasn't so biased, you'd admit the Predator is better than either of those.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the update on what I bought:

2005 Troy Lee Edition Predator (got my fiancee the Trailblazer 250). I love this quad, it screams with power but is also very well balanced and controlled. I rode my buddies raptor 660, very fast but felt highly unstable in the front. My preddy owns it all the way around. I like the Honda's but I saved over $1000 buying the Polaris atv's and I am very glad about my decision. My fiancee loves her Trailblazer also, she kicked *** the first time she rode it. All the guys we were with couldn't believe it was a girl riding with us.

WolverineMan and reconranger, I appreciate the comments, but I would NEVER buy a Zook. Zooks are garbage, always have been and always will be. I know more people with Zook atv's and motorcycles and they hate them. Always broke and Zook's warranty sucks too. Sorry to rant here, but my buddy got screwed hard by Suzuki on a warranty issue with his bike (2K4 GSXR-1000). I refuse to ever do business with Suzuki.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Always thought they were yellow for a reason... but some people can't stand green for the same reasons...

Guess that is why I bleed red and blue... (note, my Rubicon is Yellow, but I love it)

Old 03-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnnyz71, Glad to hear you guys are into the sport now. If you want speed, the pred is a great choice, and there are a million Polaris dealers up here, so if one does you wrong, you can always walk. If Polaris would have had the 05 models out a bit sooner I would probably be riding the same quad right now. Actually, wish I would have seen this post earlier, it might have been well worth it for you guys to have made a trip down to Arkport. Kind of a haul from Roch, but they have every make except Kawasaki. Even you can see many of the same models, just in Suzuki colors. They are real good about letting you test ride down there too. Anyways, any chance you want to hook up and ride sometime? Have you guys looked into trailpass at all?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

Congrats on the new purchases. I just bought the TLD Predator last week. It is amazing how much more you get stock on a Polaris compared to other machines. Especially with the TLD. Now I just need to get something for the wife/kid. I'll take a closer look at the Trailblazer today. Was thinking about getting an off-brand machine, but maybe I'll spend a little extra and get something namebrand. Money is getting tight though... new Predator, new trailer, new riding gear, and now I need another quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

...but damn it will be fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

jedimike,

That trailblazer is awesome in my opinion. For the money, nothing can touch it. My fiancee loves the thing plus she was able to keep up pretty well on the trails. I was surprised to say the least. I got her a 2004 leftover Trailblazer for $2900 and that included freight!! I paid $5900 for my preddy (included freight) I thought I got a pretty sweet deal.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:06 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: jedimike
Congrats on the new purchases. I just bought the TLD Predator last week. It is amazing how much more you get stock on a Polaris compared to other machines. Especially with the TLD. Now I just need to get something for the wife/kid. I'll take a closer look at the Trailblazer today. Was thinking about getting an off-brand machine, but maybe I'll spend a little extra and get something namebrand. Money is getting tight though... new Predator, new trailer, new riding gear, and now I need another quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

...but damn it will be fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
As much as I love my no-name mini, I would hesitate to buy a no-name full size machine. The support just isn't there yet. There are a few that raise my interest, like the Adly with a Honda 300ex replica engine, but I'd be a little leary to buy one. Maybe in a few years things will change as dealerships grow.

For the money, the trailblazer would be hard to beat imo. If you are disappointed in the power, there is lots of growing room through bolt ons too.

Good luck!