Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help me pick. Honda Rancher AT GPScape?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick. Honda Rancher AT GPScape?

I'm looking for my first 4-wheeler to go riding with my buddies on weekends. I don't plan on using it for anything other than trail riding and mudding. I've heard nothing but praise for Honda's reliability so I think I am going with them.

I like the automatic tranny option of the AT vs the 4x4 as well as the optional 2wd that the AT has. Are the trannies geared on the inside or driven by belts or what? Are the manual trannies and the automatic ones the same units just with electronic shifting mechanisms?

How do these bikes hold their resale value in case a year from now I decide I don't get out enough to keep it? I'm a hot rodder at heart and am also wondering what sort of performance parts are available for the utility bikes. Lastly I'm thinking of getting ITP Mudlite for tires. My question is will the 25" tire vs the factory 24" cause the speedometer/odometer to be 4% slow? Will the taller tire suck away power? Should I get the Mudlites, Mudlite ATs, or Mudlite XLs? I'm more concerned over the weight of the tire rather than absolute mud slinging ability.

How much should I expect to pay for a AT GPS? The msrp is $6299. How big of a trailer should I look at? I assume since the wheelbase is 49 inches I need a minimum 5 foot trailer. Should I get a 7 foot long one since the overall length is 80 inches or is it going to be fine as long as the wheels are well onto the unit?

Is the Rubicon worth the extra $1000 for someone who has never had a 4-wheeler before.

Oh, can you ride a small passenger comfortably on the Ranchers?

What sort of 'essential mods' should I look into for whatever I buy?

Old 03-27-2005, 03:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, the Rancher 400AT and the Rubicon, have a transmission that is absolutely unique in the ATV world. It absolutely is not a belt drive, neither is it geared. It is a "hydromechanical" transmission, and I suggest you research it thoroughly before making your purchase. As far as I can judge from the posts here in the forum, the transmission is "mechanically" pretty much bulletproof. There are a fair number of posts about "electronic" problems with the Rubicons, but I think these are mostly "easy fixes", like just resetting the computer. (I say no thanks, personally.) I have not seen any problems with the AT, except that some have needed a replacment ECU, which I think is being done on a manufacturers recall.

If I absolutely had to have an automatic, one of these two bikes would be my only choice. But seeing that my foot works just fine, I would go with a Foreman 500 (time proven geared transmission). You could get a Foreman with ES, if you are foot shifting challenged.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Mid S South,

Try looking at this website. www.atvtv.com They have reviews on the Honda AT and several other ATVs. You might find out some info.

My brother-in law has the Honda Rancher AT. He likes it. I thinks its a pretty good quad, but if I were in your shoes, I'd take a serious look at some of the other quads that are out there. I'd look at the Suzuki Vinson and Eiger or the Yamaha Kodiak 450. I like the fact that the Kodiak has the diff. lock and low range.

I know you like Honda, and they do make a very reliable machine, but the other manufactures are also very reliable these days. It seems that Honda is slow to add features to their machines that the other manufacturers already added to their's ( Differential lock, low range, switchable 2WD- 4WD, etc.) Fortunatly the Rancher AT does have the 2WD-4WD option and low range.

Look around before you buy.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

One more thing! Before I'd pay the extra $$$ for the G-scape on the quad, I'd buy the model with out it. With the money I saved, I'd get a handheld model GPS. That way I could use it hunting, fishing, camping, on vacation, etc.... You'd get more use out of the GPS if it wasn't only with your quad.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Rancher AT. No Gps though. I have a handheld that mounts to the handlebar and I can use it in my truck.

Only compliants. Very cold blooded. Can be fixed but I haven't done it.

Not a real workhorse. The 400cc and air cooled engine likes errands and having fun not any real work. That said its a great machine. I HAVE worked it a little too hard and I can tell it will run forever.

When I bought the machine the Rubicon wasn't offered in 2/4wd or I would have bought it. Still might.