Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which quad(s) should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which quad(s) should I get?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but everyone's situation is a little bit different so I would like to get some others feedback. I use to have a 400EX, it was piped and jetted and I loved the way it ran through the trails and the way it handled jumps. I sold it because I bought a house and I had a hard time finding someone to ride with me. I'm now in the market to buy two quads one for myself and the other for my wife (my friends will also be riding it on some occasions). From what I've been reading I think the new Polaris Predator TLD would be a good fit for what I'm looking to get out of my atv. I don't have any land to ride on at my house, but my sister live about 15 miles north and she has about 25 acres and my uncles live about 15 miles south and they have a combined of 160 acres (with a 2.5 mile track around some ponds and through the woods). We also travel up to the U.P. and ride at my wife's parents cabin, that's an island that is pretty rocky and riding includes some paved roads and some mud. From what I've been reading, I think the only thing that might concern me is the weight issue, but that's not a determining factor. I like the fact that it's a Polaris (Made in the US or at least advertised to be), it is a bit wider, stronger axle, the tires/wheel combo, reverse is a plus and the styling. When I was at a local dealer I thought as though the thumb throttle was a poor design, made out of plastic unlike my old metal thumb throttle on my 400EX, has anyone had one break yet? None of the tags, nor was I able to find it on Polaris' website, provides what type of warranty comes with it? I've also considered some other quads such as the new 400EX, Z400 and the YFZ 450. I'm looking for some feedback/comments.

My second question is about a quad for my wife, remember my friends will also be riding this on some occasions. I'm thinking about getting a used Raptor for her. But I've heard there were some issues with them in the earlier years, which years should I stay away from? I've also thought about getting a 4X4, but I think it would be a rough ride when we were doing a lot of trail riding, so I decided on a sports quad for her. She had no problem riding my 400EX with all the add-on's. She's 5'7" and 120 lbs, so I believe she has long enough legs and arms to ride the Raptor. I've only rode a Raptor once, but it was only for a few minutes. I basically want a reliable machine for her that would ride nice through the trails and would be able to keep a good pace. She does ride fast, but she doesn't like to race for fun. My friends on the other hand will try to race when they are riding it. I've also considered buying another 400EX, but I would like the reverse for my wife.

Please comment on my findings.

Thanks,

Old 03-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

I think the Predator is a good choice for you. I'm not sure about your wife. She sounds experienced but putting her on a big bore when she is only a buck twenty seems a bit much. If she is that skilled, the extra 40 pounds on the Predator isn't going to make much of a difference. The Z400 would be a better fit, I would think. Not as throaty as Raptor or Predator, but more get up and go than a scramble or other smaller bore 4-stroke. It is still a big bike though... I know my wife, who is 10 pounds heavier but less skilled, is getting a smaller bore 4-stroke.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I'm going to wait until the new Z450 is released and look at that one for myself, and get the wife a used Z400 since people will be dumping them off to buy the new Z450. I might even buy a used Z400 for myself since I've seen a few 2003's for only $3500 with nerf bars.