Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New or Used Quad Better Deal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or Used Quad Better Deal???

Im wanting to buy a 03 or 04 Raptor but was wondering if it was better to buy a used quad or a new one. I dont want a piece of crap but i dont have alot of money either so if you could give me your opinion.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

I just bought a quad and decided to go new. Right now they are holding their retail value very well. So it just seemed worth it to spend an extra grand and get a new one. Of course the new one I was interested in had a lot of upgrades from last years model. I don't think Raptors have changed much, so buying used may be better for you. Also, I would only buy used from a reputable dealer or from someone I knew. If it is a private party and you are buying used, verify the VIN (in case it is stolen) and definitely have a mechanic check it out.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Check around the site first on the Raptors. Check in the Yamaha forum. I think the '03+ are cool, but the earlier ones developed some transmission problems. I don't know of any other changes on the Raptor either. If they're aren't any "great" changes to the new ones, I'd save the extra money by buying used to customize it to your likings. I got my Z used, have modded it, with less money into it than new, AND still have 2+ years warranty. Just be weary of the deal/bike like jedimike said. I had title and all with mine, so there were no worries. Check it all over good, and you should be find buying used. However, if you have the money to spend, new is never a bad thing.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Obviosly if money is not an issue, go with the new one. This way you are sure of what you are getting.
It also allows you to have a good relationship with the local shop as well as a good waruntee.
I personaly wouldnt hesitate to go used. If you give the quad a good lookover and know what to look for, purchasing a used quad can be just as good as buying a brand new on, and you save yourself some cash for mods. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

Whats some stuff to look for on a used quad

Old 03-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

jon06,

I just purchased a low mile '04 Grizzly for $1000-2000 less than I see the '05s going for. To me that is a good deal.

As to what I would look for in a used machine. I would say try to look for an all stock machine
(the moded ones are more likely to be ridden hard) with low miles and a reasonable asking price.
Usually you can knock it down a couple more bucks in bargaining. Also find out the reason the
person is selling it and for sure take it for a test ride. If the seller is at all hesitant, just walk
away. I believe they are trying to hide something. Don't take any lame excuses.
Be reasonable and patient and I bet you will be able to find a great deal.

Good luck,
Don