Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

opinions on what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on what to buy

I was considering a raptor 660 but now might be thinkging 4x4. I am looking to spend around 3,000. I have the opp to buy a 2001 and or a 2001 honda rancherfor 3,000. was wondering if i should go this route or is it to much for the machine? Also how was would you say it is and how well will it perform next to a grizzly 660. I know it is in a little different class but was just wondering if i am going to be wanting something like the grizzly 660 or will the honda racher be just fine. let me know and what are some of my other options.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We love our Ranchers. They aren't powerhouses, but the Rancher is the big enough to do the job, but not a huge, hulking, heavy beast either.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher is a good machine.....BUT........if you are considering a Raptor, I'd think you wanted something that is fast and fun. You may get bored with the Rancher. It depends on what you want . Some people think the Grizzly is too big and heavy. If you consider that the Grizzly is only ( maybe ) 75 lbs heavier than the Rancher, it doesn't seem that big.

I can tell you one thing, the steering effort on the Grizzly is alot lighter than on a Rancher. This also takes away from that " too big feel " . The Grizz also offers a more comfortable ride. That's something to consider if you're older or want a smoother ride. The Grizz is also faster if you like speed. The Grizz is an auto if you are lazy and like to cruise along and not shift.

I've spent seat time on a relative's Ranchers. It is reliable, stable and great in the mud. But it isn't even close when it comes to comfort, power or speed. I wonder why the relatives that own the Ranchers like riding my Grizz? My wife even likes driving the Grizz and she has a Recon. If it were that big and hard to handle, I wouldn't have such a hard time getting my Grizzly back when we switch quads out on the trail.

If you can get a good deal on a used one or save more money, get the Grizzly.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

how fast would you say a ranchers? also if you do the warn 424 kit will that give you speed gain and more of the 2 whel drive feel? last what can you do to the rancher for more power and speed?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I had a Wolverine with the 424. It sure does make a quad feel more sporty. You can do donuts and power slides and stuff like that.

With the 424 in 2WD, your quad will accelerate faster. It will have a quicker feel. The top speed will stay the same but you will get there sooner.

I think the Rancher will do about 50mph. I don't know for sure.

The Rancher is a good quad. Its not made for speed. Its great for trail riding, working, and playing in the mud. You will enjoy it.