Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Can anyone give advise in buying lower cc ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise in buying lower cc ATV's

My Wife and I are purchasing 2 utility ATV's has our x-mas gift to each other this year. We have never owned any in the past, and I have been researching several models. We are on a budget, since we are purchasing 2, not sure if we will purchase the 4x4. We do live in Florida and around swampy areas and pleanty of trees, so I might go with a winch instead. . So any factual advise would be greatly appreciated. Selected models: Kawasaki Bayou 250 or 360 - Honda FourTrax Recon - Polaris magnum 330 - Artic cat 250 - Yamaha's Bruin 250 or 350 - or Suzuki's new Ozark 250 4X2. And has any one heard of Wicked Rockets Cougar 250?
I want the best / less maintenance / most reliable for my money.
Thanks to all those educated on these models.
Robert [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can anyone give advise in buying lower cc ATV's

Anyone out there that can help?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if u are riding in swampy places then you really should get atleast 1 4x4 so the one can make it and then pull the 2x4 out or just get both 4x4.... you can get the prairie 360 with 4x4 and the diff lock which makes all the 4 wheels spin...which all the other ones have the limited slip which has the 3 wheels spinning and gives power over to the other wheel....works alright but the diff lock is way better... soo out of those choices i would get the prairie

Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The Honda Recon 250 is 2wd only. It is a superb machine and a real kick to ride!

The Honda Rancher 350 is available in 2wd or 4wd. Word is that the 06 may be selectable 2wd/4wd (something I highly recommend) or you can install a Warn 424 disconnector. This is another great machine!

Both are dead solid reliable. I like machines in this class! The current crop of huge, heavy utes just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:43 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: reconranger
The Honda Recon 250 is 2wd only. It is a superb machine and a real kick to ride!
Superb may be a stretch. Think I'd look for something with hydraulic disk brakes.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your input Thread, I do like the Kaw and when I compare the specs, I like the features of the shaft drives and rear brakes are sealed to reduce maintenance. Even the ground clearance is as much or more than some of the bigger quads. I don't know if I will be able to get the 4x4, although some of the features want me to spend the extra buck. But even the 2x as some extra florida mud features that beat out some of the others. I guess it will come down to the dealers $ offer if anyone has the same features. Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

rcparrow,

I am not just saying this because I have one, but you should really also look into the Yamaha Wolverine 4x4 350. It is a very fun, low maintance, and very dependable.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Reconranger, thanks for your input on the Honda. I looked at the rancher so that I was compareing equal quads (Kaw praire) it does have front and rear sealed brakes, but it doesn't have the ground clearence I really want for mud trails. If I have to stick to a 2x with a winch, then I prefer the clearence. Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have a honda 250ex and its a great machine for the money and really easy to maintain because of the shaft drive, its pretty peppy to, and its really reliable, its a good overall machine.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

MNWolverine01, thanks for your input on the Yamaha. I looked at the Wolverine, but for the cost of that Quad, I lose the clearence the other Quads have unless I do as you, and spend more money to upgrade the tires. I did compare the Bruin 350 though, and if you know anyone or someone out there that can inlighten me on this Quad, I have allways been partial to Yamaha's.

Quick Reply: Can anyone give advise in buying lower cc ATV's