Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default basic questions

I am very new to atv never owned or rode one in 15 years. Buying one for my older son. He is about 5'7" weighs about 115. He will be riding in mostly modert terrian for the begining and then hoping to move to trails in the woods. Here are my questions!

What is difference between 2WD and 4WD I know the obvious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] What is preferred.

How much engine do we need 250, 350, or etc?

I know this is a shot in the dark but any suggestions on brands or models?

Would like to keep the price under $4K.

Thanks.

Nothing Yet but maybe one. A reward maybe for the most helpful response.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default basic questions

What will you be using the quad for and does your son have any riding experience? 4x4's are designed to go places that 2x4's generally don't like to be for example mud, water and stump and log ridden areas. 2x4's were designed more for acceleration, handleing, jumping and speed. Don't get me wrong, there are 4x4's on the market that flat out fly and handle pretty well. Will you be using it around the yard for work as well as play? Then a 4x4 is your quad. Or will you be using it strictly for fun on trails, open fields or a track? Then a 2x4 is your answer. I can't speak of the 4x4's as I don't own one but I can give you my opinion on the 2x4's. Remember that alot of people are brand specific in our sport so opinions can sometimes be biased. I myself am not. I bought a Honda TRX250ex 5 months ago and I just picked up my Suzuki LT-Z400 four days ago. You can buy a new 2005 TRX250ex out the door for around $3500. The advantage to this quad is that it has an automatic clutch so you don't need much experience to get on it and learn to change the gears. It is also bulletproof and requires very little maitanence for the mechanically challenged. Suzuki has a similar quad called the Z-250 but it's alittle more money. Top end speed for both is around 50mph, they both handle very well and are both fun to ride. Now for the disadvantage, while the quad would be a great fit for your son now, he will soon want more power and a manual clutch as his experience grows. The next level is the 300 to 350cc quads like the Honda 300ex or Raptor 350. Both of these machines have manual clutches which require you to manually squeeze the clutch before you shift. These machines are more powerfull, have better suspension and accelerate quicker then the 250cc engines. If your son has any experience, this is where you may want to start. You'll have to buy used as the Honda starts around 4500 and I think the Raptor is just over 5000 but I could be wrong. Then you have the 400cc machines which are obviousely bigger and faster. I reccomend going down to a local dealership and sitting on a few of the quads to see what fits you best. Just remember that quads do not hold their value so ask the questions now before you buy it. With that kind of money on the line, it's got to make you happy. Good luck on your search. When you do decide to purchase one, make sure you try and talk the dealer down in price. I was stupid on my first purchase and payed full price but I was able to talk them down 500 bucks on my last purchase. Hope it helps and ride on.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default basic questions

One way to tell what works in your area, is to pay attention to what others are riding (particularly sport vs utility, and 2wd vs 4wd). If possible, ask them what they like and dislike about their machines. What are the conditions like out on the trail? Mud is the one thing that will give you the most problems.

Your $4K price tag, cuts down the choices to a lot of the more basic machines. His light weight also points him toward the medium displacement/medium size machines, although he is tall enough for a full size.

As far as utilities, you won't get a 4wd for $4K unless it is very used. I would suggest something in the 250 class, like the Honda Recon. This is an extremely capable machine for a 2wd, and tons of fun to ride! It has shaft drive which is a plus in the mud and water.

For sport bikes, I would suggest the Honda 250EX. It is a Recon in sport plastic and without the racks, so it is a hefty 50 pounds lighter. It will do anything the Recon will, but better because it is lighter.