Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying first atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying first atv

hello, my father is buying me my first atv. he has only three restrictions on me.

1.has to be able to plow snow

2.has to be atleast 400cc (but i have to be able to handle it)

3.has to be under $6.2k

i am 14yrs old and i am 5'7" and weigh 125lbs.

i was thinking along the lines of a honda rancher 400. I want it to be automatic or electric shift.

i have a friend who has a rincon 650 and a 300ex. i want to be able to keep up with his rincon. i will mostly ride up at the dunes or in yards. i might do a little trail riding but not much. i want something that wont get stuck in the mud and can go through water.

Thank You

Old 06-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default buying first atv

well almost nobody knows anything about them yet but i elect you to be the first person to try out the new wolverine 450 auto 4x4

but like i said. they just came out so nobody on here that i know of has had one to give us feedback on it. but it sounds like it would do what you want

Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying first atv

You have kind of a hard bill to fill, because you need some power for plowing yet you are a skinny kid. But, you will no doubt bulk up as you get older, so that is a consideration as well. You need some low end power, but no utility is a "dune" machine, so your plowing requirements are limiting your "fun factor" for recreational riding.

I really like the Rancher package! It's a machine that is big enough to do the job, but yet it's not the heavy hulking beast that most utilities are either. I am however no fan at all of automatics, and if you search the Honda forum you will find more than a few posts from folks that are having electronic problems with the Rancher 400AT transmission controls! The AT also has a reputation for poor low end power.

What about a Rancher 350ES? It does have low end grunt for plowing, but no way is it going to keep up with the Rincon or 300EX out on the trail.

Beware of the new Wolverine. I don't see that it is anything but a utility with the racks removed, and even so it's way to heavy for any kind of sport riding. We are however still waiting for the first rider reviews, so nobody knows about it for sure.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default buying first atv

Take a good hard look at the Suzuki Vinson or Eiger. Both are top in their class and cost less than most. Before buying just take a quick test drive and you'll see what I mean.

Honda's are nice but are under powered IMO.