Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which Sport ATV?? Driving me nuts!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Sport ATV?? Driving me nuts!!

Hello all and thanks for such a great and informative forum.

I'm looking for the best 400-450 range sport ATV. I'm an experienced bike rider as I've owned Honda's (CR250, XR200), Harley's and Kawasaki's (KDX220). I'd like an ATV that's good in trails, snow, a little track riding and all around fun! Reverse would be nice as well. I've read about the Z400's, TRX400's, and KFX. If you were choosing from Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki & Yamaha, which would you buy and why? I've never been a big suzuki fan but I'm reading good stuff about them.

Thanks in advance for your kindness in answering this forum post. I'm frustrated as I don't have the ability to test ride these machines. A couple of buddies and I are in the same shoes. We want to get in the sport; however, don't know too many people that have them and you know the dealers won't let you test ride!!! Please help. Thank you.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well the Z and the KFX are the same machine, both made by Suzuki. The descision between those two is really just if you like Orange, Yellow, Green, or White.

You may want to try a dealer that is near a rural area. Dealerships with open space will allow test rides. I thought I wasn't going to be able to find oen but I did. I had to drive about 20 minutes to get there but I ended up buying the same day I took the test ride.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

i love the yfz, no other 400-450 can touch it (before '06)

Old 11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: ajd187
Well the Z and the KFX are the same machine, both made by Suzuki. The descision between those two is really just if you like Orange, Yellow, Green, or White. .
I would recommend one of these (Z400 or KFX400, same EXACT bike). I was never a big fan of Suzuki either, but the Z400 was the best machine I ever owned for all around purposes. I even raced it against 450's. Not to mention they are very reliable. The only reason I even got rid of it was because Im getting more into dirtbikes, which I see is where you came from.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Dino,

I was in the same position as you in Sep. I bought the KFX. I was between the Z/KFX and the Honda TRX400EX. They both look cool. There were a couple things that swayed me onto the Kawasaki.
The Honda seat is a pain to get off and harder to put back on - the rear plastic somes off with the seat.
The Honda sits about 2.5" lower than the KFX, although the specs on the manufacturer web sites list them the same. With me sitting on the KFX, it settles to the same height as the TRX.
I'm 6'3 and felt cramped on the Honda.
The battery on the Honda is exposed to the elements. Look under the left rear fender. There's the battery. The battery on the KFX is under the seat. Also - the most minor of the bunch - the cap on the storage tube is on there very loosely. I can see it coming off easily. That would have to be remedied.

The big difference between the two functionally is the Honda seems to be a better tight woods ride, and better bottom end grunt. One thing I noticed on the KFX is that 1st is very low and 2nd is a little taller, when 2nd would lug a little on trails, and 1st was too short. I put a 13t up front to solve that. Second gear is much more usable on slow trails now.

If you go Z/KFX - it's all about color preference.

Regardless of what you decide on - look for a leftover - you'll get a great price!

Rick

Old 11-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was leaning towards an '06 YZF450, but I think I am going to get the new Raptor 700r, because they are exactly the same price, and the raptor has a much bigger, and fuel-injected engine. (it's about damn time someone did it) I could care less about being able to race it, I just want a quad that will always fire right up with no problems.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the great replies. I've pretty much decided to go for the KFX. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have a harley that's for sale and as soon as it sells, I'm going to the Kawasaki dealer.

I hear the only real difference from the 05 to 06 is shocks? In your opinion, is this enough difference not to find a deal on a 05 model?

Thanks again for the great advice!

Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Dino,

The shocks on the '05 and '06 models are the same. It was an upgrade from '04 to '05.

Rick

Old 11-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

big mistake,if you are looking in the 400-500 range, do yourself a favor and get the yfz

it is the best 450 out there, it is sick....race ready,trail perfect and just a bad *** machine..

you will be on top of all your friends and keeping up with anything insite with a few little mods like a pipe and filter...if i had a choice i would get this exspecially for what you are saying you want to do..

i ride a ds650 so my opinion if not scewed at all, i run with theses thing all the time and they are incredible, eat most bikes , built perfect..

read the reviews..kawi's never do anything

Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

all the 450's dont have reverse so that leaves ALL of them out. So the choices are z\kfx 400\ predator 500\ or raptor 700. dont get the 660 for track riding. I dont think you could go wrong with any of those choices. Just depends on how much power you want. My useless opionion is the predator 500 tld because of the better shocks and rims and tires and axle it comes with..

Quick Reply: Which Sport ATV?? Driving me nuts!!