Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

which big bore atv to buy ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which big bore atv to buy ???

i just bought an outy 800, a little on the high side 8550 otd, but you get what you pay for

and they give a 5 yr warranty...thats priceless

anything you choose will be awesome, but i suggest you ride them or atleast sit on them

we are all built different and so are the bb utes

Old 12-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: chirochris
i just bought an outy 800, a little on the high side 8550 otd, but you get what you pay for

and they give a 5 yr warranty...thats priceless

anything you choose will be awesome, but i suggest you ride them or atleast sit on them

we are all built different and so are the bb utes
$8,550 OTD sounds like a really good price to me. I was quoted over $10K I when I looked at one about three months ago out here. That was for the XT model though, but that is still very expensive.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Power never equalls reliablity! so if you want reliable go with a 500. I have yet to see what a big bore can do that a 500cc cant do besides do it faster! If thats important great! i dont blame you because I love it too but if you want reliablity go with a 500cc class Utility. My personal favorite is the ArciticCat 500 manual. its absolutely bullet proof and has tons of power, independet suspesion, 6.5 gallon gas tank, bigger racks, the most ground clearance, and differnetial lock, high and low, with a tow hitch and goes through anything. The suzuki 500 vinson is real nice trail quad also thats a little more trail freindly. The 500's are also considerably less expensive. jmo

Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

that was on a standard in new york with 8.75 tax...i felt good about it..

i am not a fan of smaller utes, i feel like they are lacking in things...this is just my opinion..

i dont hunt or anything so winch and racks were not a big event...i ride mostly poker runs and long rides with groups of peolpe

Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

If you're now considering the 500cc class, don't count out the sportsman 500ho. The Polaris 500 and down still run the tried and true absolutely bulletproof FUJI Heavy Industries engines. They are unstoppable! In the midsize shootouts, the 500ho has came out on top for a while now. They have been making the sportsman 500 since 1996, so talk about perfection. The Grizz 660 has been around since 2000 or 2001, can't remember at this very moment, the sportsman 500 is my pick for the midsize. Also, polaris has the most tunable clutches of any brand. DON'T confuse the sportsman 500 with their 6, 7, and 800's. These are the ones that have had the mechanical probs. Aside from the sp500ho, I would reccommend te AC 500, then the Honda Rubi 500. If for what ever reason you get the Honda Rubi, spend the extra $ and get the Warn 424 kit. It allows you to go from 2wd to 4wd, and in 2wd the rubi is a completely different machine!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

I really want a big bore, i think i can get a reliable machine in the 650 class. I have a 350 now . It aint worth goin to a 500.from a 350.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

In the 650cc class, I would consider the Artic Cat, Grizz, KingQuad, and Rincon. I like the looks and reliability of the rincon, however without a diff lock it wouldn't work for me. I ride with a guy who has a 04 rincon. Don't be concerned that the rinny doesn't have a low gear unless you plann to really tow alot. His rincon will climb just as well and turn over the big 28's he has on it very easily. Only short coming he has is the 3x4, so unless you're going to do alot of mudding or rock climbing don't even let that bother you. Also, get the 06 with a few more cc's and efi. Honda basically has no reliability issues as they test, test, and re-test before the put out a product. Some say they're behind, well they just like to make sure it's right before ou get it.

Now for the Grizz, great machine, don't care for the way the 4x4 diff lock works, but at least it has one. My only concern with the grizz is I really feel it will be a 700cc efi next year.

King Quad. I like the engine, has basically the same 4x4 and diff lock system as the grizz. I think they have a little too much plastic, for me anyway. I also ride with a guy who has a 05 KQ as well one with a 03 grizz. The KQ does well, just not my pref. The grizz does really well, but again the diff lock on both these machines is not my favorite.

I don't kow alot about the AC 650, but have heard nothing but good about it. AC and Polaris are my favorites simply because they're a USA product and aren't under the 600lbs weight requirement all the imported bikes are. This allows the AC and Pol's to go with a much heavier frame, suspension, guards, axles, tie rods, etc.

If I were in your shows and debating the Rincon and Grizz, I'd go with the 06 Rinny, as it sounds you're not going to be rock crawling or hardcore mudding, as well towing a boat up a hill hince needing the low

Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I definately wont be towing any boats. i will tow a load of mulch and dirt around. i do that with my rancher now.I can get a 05 rincon fir 1200 less than an 06. thats alot of scratch. The grizzlysi right in between that.I wonder if u can get wheelie as good as the grizzly. tahnks for the info and back feed.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

No, the 05 rincon will not wheelie like a Grizz, but at the end of the day of riding you'll feel better than one that rode a Grizz. Don't get me wrong, the grizz is not a terrible ride, the the rincon has about the closest ride and comfort to a Sportsman. Anyone, even Polaris Haters will agree the Sportsman has the most plush and comfortable ride. Well the Rincon is relatively close in comfort. $1200 is alot to scratch up, but if you got it, you want regret it. Go with the 05 and meet up to a 06 on the trail and you're gonna wish you had it!!!! This is only if you got the $$$$ One thing is for sure with either one. Get a winch!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

The 06 mid year Arctic Cat is coming out with the 700 EFI based off the King Quad motor so you can have the best of both worlds.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...howtopic=24778

Either that or I would wait for the grizzly efi model or the new bomb 650 or new honda 650. The 05 grizzly and rincon are outdated and I wouldnt spend that much money on old technology.

Quick Reply: which big bore atv to buy ???