Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

which big bore atv to buy ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which big bore atv to buy ???

I'm suprised people are actually recommending the 05 Rincon to you. Your obviously buying a big bore because you want a lot of power and the 05 Rincon is at the bottom of the scale in power compared to the King Quad, Grizzly, BF 650..etc. Test drive the 05 Rincon then test drive the KQ and then you'll know what I mean. I just don't want you to be unhappy with your $7k purchase.The 06 Rincon is going to have it's reliability problems so don't buy it just because you want Honda's reliability.
Earlier in this thread I talked about the King Quad's air filter problem. I've done A LOT of researching on this since it was starting to scare me, and ALL points lead to the air filter either not sealing properly or just a junk air filter altogether, so what I'm saying is don't let the stock junk air filter keep you from buying the best out of all the 650cc-700cc class IMO, you can get an aftermarket foam filter for $20. And your $7800 price quote is $500 over MSRP...try another dealer.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

He defienetly wants the power but less face it, coming from a 350 to a 650 or 700 quad is going to be huge power difference no matter what quad he gets. I would try to sort out what features you want in a quad besides power and then pick from there considering they all have alot of power compared to the 350. I honestly think he will be happy with any of them coming from a rancher.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

I agree. The 05 rincon is6400 out he door. the suzki kq is7800. the honda is a dog. THE kq has too many problems.Bad steering. bending tie rods.blue smoke,junky airfilter. plastic wheel bushings that wear out easy, And all this for1400 extra I think not. I am considering the grizzly.itis tried and true and has fixedall its problems.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Okay whatever suits you. Your $7800 OTD price is the highest I've ever heard a KQ for. The Grizzly is probably your best bet since your dealer is trying to rip you off with that price...but you get what you pay for.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Range Rover

Chaulk up another good Rancher review! Glad to hear it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I would reccomend the Grizzly to you as a big bore.......The new ones got the bugs worked out of them. I'd still hang on to the Rancher though, just in case.......You never know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

yea i think if i dont get my price im goin to keep it. What did u get ur KQ for.i might shop around more for the grizzly or the rincon.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine for $7500 Out the door in early June...but I think I paid quite a bit more than everyone else did I live in an area where prices are high and the KQ was a very hot seller at that time. But I've heard of some of the 05's going for around 6000. I guess it does really depend on where you live though...a person in California is going to pay a lot more than say a person in Kentucky.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 2sly4u
yea i think if i dont get my price im goin to keep it. What did u get ur KQ for.i might shop around more for the grizzly or the rincon.
2sly4u - Where are you located? If you're anywhere close to western Tennessee, go to Abernathy's in Union City. Drive both a new 2006 Grizzly and a new 2006 Rincon. Decide which one you like best, and then buy it at a cost that is way under MSRP and very reasonable. Do a search on Yahoo for "Abernathy's ATV," and you'll get a link to their website. Unfortunately, they will not ship a bike to you though.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I hunt with my quad and here are things that I've found important to me.

1) Stability - often I'm traversing a side hill or going up or down a hill that would never be allowed on a public trail system. Rolling over is not a option. The wheelie prone machines are NOT your best choice for off-trail conditions unless its flatter ground. The King Quad and Grizz would be at the bottom of my list. Off-trail riding as in hunting is different - often your on your own and in extreme terrain - bad ju-ju if you do flip it. Wear a walkie talkie around your nect.

2) Accessories / Rackage - For some reason it takes a pickup load of gear to hunt deer. Tree climbing stands, bow or gun carriers, lanterns or lamps, dry clothing, rain gear etc. For me the Artic Cat MRP rack system is the best choice as I can quickly repurpose and configure the largest amount of ATV accessories that anyone makes. You should see my ice fishing rig! And last week it was my hunting rig - all different components.

3) Power? - Any 500cc machine with low gear range is enough power for any of these quads to go anywhere. The bigger cc machines let you possibly go quicker - but when power is needed quicker usually isn't. If your spinning the tires - you've already got to much power. The auto vs. automatic arguement is simply a exercise in contumacy. Automatics work just fine and relieve the driver of unneccesary tasks.

4) Traction - This weekend I rode with a new AC 650 who could NOT go where I went. And the other hunting party had a AC 500 with the big tractor mud scooping tires - we had to go get chains for that guy. The muddy wet leaves and a light snow all but sent him home.

5) Functionality - I ride the two Rider TRV because its HANDY. If I'm not carrying a pax I have a back-pack strapped to the pax back rest or I take it off and carry another box of stuff in its place. There isn't a hunting trip where I don't end up carrying someone to help me get the buck out of a steep ravine or some other carrying requirement - or I'm helping someone else get back to their stand after tracking for miles.

6) Handling - new item for me this year as I have used my camo Polaris Sportsman for hunting and finally broke down and allowed my self to use the TRV. Handling is everything in the woods. I won't EVER take my Polaris back hunting as the steering and suspension of the Arctic Cat blows the Sportsman away. Its hard to explain this but imagine the difference from having your right arm fully extended and your left arm wrapped around the left brake reservoir - fighting to keep a up hill edge on the hill your traversing vs. riding one handed. THAT makes a difference to me.

I wonder sometimes about some of the posters here - if they have first-hand expereince with these machines and uses - or if they are projecting their theoritical opinions based on what was read in some magazine. No offense intended

Good luck

Old 12-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
I hunt with my quad and here are things that I've found important to me.

1) Stability - often I'm traversing a side hill or going up or down a hill that would never be allowed on a public trail system. Rolling over is not a option. The wheelie prone machines are NOT your best choice for off-trail conditions unless its flatter ground. The King Quad and Grizz would be at the bottom of my list. Off-trail riding as in hunting is different - often your on your own and in extreme terrain - bad ju-ju if you do flip it. Wear a walkie talkie around your nect.
You make a very good point here, and is a reason why I have decided long ago to go with a Honda Foreman 500. I like the Grizz ride, second to none I have rode, but on the side of a hill I would be really scared on the Grizz to be honest.

Quick Reply: which big bore atv to buy ???