Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

whats the best ATV for a big guy and rocky terrain

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006 | 10:35 PM
|
Range Rover
Default whats the best ATV for a big guy and rocky terrain

i am big 300 lbs. and ride rocky terrain . my Vinson's frame cracked twice,tie rods shot , wheel barrings bad,stearing bushing shot...after 2600 miles.
they tell me that i should be looking for an atv with IRS
i am looking to up grade..
i am a trail rider
what do you recommend?

Old 01-31-2006 | 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Grizzly 660, Outlander 800, Polaris 800/ 700, Honda Rincon 680, there are a lot of good, big , IRS quads out there, find some nearby dealers, jump on one and see how it feels, get the features you want, and a good dealer, and any one of them should be up to the challenge of your type of riding. If you plan on a lot of rock climbing, full skid plates on everything will help with damage control.

Old 01-31-2006 | 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thowoing out all the brand loyalty crud you'll get, you need a North american built big bore. I say this because they are overbuilt by virtue or not having to cut weight. You are doing low speed technical riding and are a ig enough guy like myself to handle the weight the machine brings. If you wanted to wind it out and jump it on occasion, then look asian, but for comfort and durabilty you don't want to go that way.

I'd look at the big Polaris machines (700efi, 800) or the new Bombs which look very nice.

Old 01-31-2006 | 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

i am close to the same weight as you and my 06 arctic cat 400 auto doesnt even know im there it has 12 in ground clearence and 10 in suspension travel which is awesome for rock crawling plus the 4wd and diff lock have proven itself to me i cant get this bike stuck not that im trying but i have put it through alot or crawling and ive only owned it for a month

Old 02-01-2006 | 04:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I just hate these huge, heavy, monster 700+ pound big bore utility quads, but I think that is what you are stuck with.

Old 02-01-2006 | 07:00 PM
Range Rover

....agree with earlier reply, an AC 400 series w/ indie suspension would serve you well at the low end of the price spectrum, my tbx with me and a 325# genwelder isnt even breathing hard[about 525# combined] , you can spend more ,but i doubt the cost increase is worth it.........

Old 02-08-2006 | 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

If IRS is what youre into, go for the Polaris 600 twin, 700 EFI or 800 EFI (Reccomended)
They have the best rear suspension in the industry and class-leading torque and power. It also has one of the best 4 wheel drive systems in the industry.

If not a Polaris, id go for a Bombardier Outlander 800. This is my favourite ATV for 2006. Just go to their website and watch their videos. Believe me, you wont be mad.

My favourite ATV's used to be Polaris' because of their 4 wheel drive capabilities and IRS but Bombardier took this year for me. The Outlander has a Visco-Lok front differential which, when the wheels slip, Full torque is adapted to all wheels for maximum traction.

So for your size and terrain that you drive on, GO for the Outlander 800 H.O EFI.

Old 02-08-2006 | 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would look at arctic cat 500's and up. Perfect for big guys who rock crawl and Bombardeir and Polaris would follow in that order.

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Hoopie
I would look at arctic cat 500's and up. Perfect for big guys who rock crawl and Bombardeir and Polaris would follow in that order.
I forgot to mention about the Arctic Cat line for this year. AC's have had 12"+ of ground clearance for so many years and are great machines for your size. Although, i'd rather go for a Bombardier 800 H.O. EFI since they are everything you need in an ATV.

Just watch the video on the Bombardier-ATV website.

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Outty 800 and its a great machine I also like the 800 polaris its very plush but not as sporty as the Outty 800 And both seem to be built very well I dont know enuff about the Cats to say anything about them except maybe the power wont be like the 800's

Quick Reply: whats the best ATV for a big guy and rocky terrain