Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How low will they go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low will they go?

Originally posted by: ATVrider89
Whenever your buying a new atv or anything power sports, they usually get you in the door with a good msrp (eg $3,599) than once your all hyped up and ready to buy they hit you with all those b/s charges (freight,prep,handling,etc...) the same thing got me when I bought my Raptor the MSRP was only 4,999+tax than once they added on all the extra's it was like $5,000.
Thats a huge difference, i would have left instead of paying that extra dollar. (lol)

Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

the msrp on my 650 was 7299 i called the dealership and well i was in there all the time and knew them guys all very good. and well he said 6800 and they threw in a winch for free and hand guards for free. the only thing i had to pay was tax, and i think it took him about an hour to set up my atv. i didn't have to pay freight or non of that crap i supposed cause arctic cat is only about 40 min from me so i got a great deal.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I shopped my local dealer for a AC TBX 2006 with plow and winch package. He quoted me $8971.55 out the door. I waited and went back and asked the same guy what the price was today if I bought it then. He came back after talking to a manager and gave me a $8300 out the door price but that was only good for today as he said.

I talked to others and got quotes from other dealers not close to my state. I found a NEW 05 and bought it for $2800 less than the first quote I got from my local dealer. I guess that would mean it pays to shop and deal?

I have to go and get it and pay someone to drive about 7 hours there and back, but I figured it was worth waiting to save a ton.

Shipper

Old 03-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies - I really appreciate it. We've got 3 local dealerships that we're going to start with next weekend. And, we are going to stick with our $3700 OTD or no deal. Actually, after reading all of your replies, I'd honestly be happy with msrp + tax - just no other setup/freight/whatever they want to call it fees. We'll still try for the $3700 price first though.

We've been planning (and saving so we can pay cash out the door) for this quad for more than a couple months so if we have to spend some time until we find the right deal, that's okay. We normally ride in central Michigan and just love the quality of the trails. It's still chilly there and I'm not even certain if snowmobiles are still dominating the trails this time of year, so we've got time.

I'll be sure to let you all know how the deal works out when I've got the quad in the back of my truck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

I'd stick with the $3,700, inc. S/T. I think that would be fair to both you and the dealer. You are essentially asking for a couple of hundred off MSRP, which I think is very reasonable. Maybe they would do it for MSRP+S/T and they throw in $300 worth of accessorys that you might want anyway, that way they can figure that part at cost?

Old 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

I would go to www.cyclebuy.com and get the price sheets for the models your looking at. They charge you but since I could not find the info free anywhere I bought sheets for the 3 atv's I'm considering. The frieght issue is a total scam on the dealers part. Atv's motorcycles, cars all fall under the same federal law. All dealerships in the lower 48 states pay the same frieght charge. Just like cars all atv's have a holdback payment. This is paid ti the dealer when they sell the atv. Here is the info for a 2006 rancher 4x4 manual shifter.
list price $5099
dealer invoice $4484
assembly cost $20 per honda pricesheet
5% of list price holdback paid to dealer

I'm going to visit my local honda dealers and offer $4729 + tax for the rancher. (4484 + 20) * 1.05 = 4729
I feel 5% profit is plenty since there is also a 5% holdback, so 10% profit in the end

Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you have not bought your recon already, you can do a search on www.atvtraderonline.com. You can input how many miles away from your zip code you want to search. About the cheapest (out the door price) in the US for a 2006 Recon would be about $3,200 to 3,300. You might find another dealer on this site that would be cheaper than the price you decided on.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Id really like to clue you all in to how much work it is to get a 2006 Honda TRX350FE Rancher ready to go home with a customer. I am a Honda Tech and I put them together and prep the unit for sale.

STEP 1. Unload metal crate off semi-truck. (usually with 15 others at the same time) 10 minutes
STEP 2. Uncrate Rancher 25 minutes
STEP 3. Clean off Cosmoline (corrosion protectant used by Honda) 45 minutes
STEP 4. Fill with Fuel 5 minutes
STEP 5. Remove battery from Rancher, Fill with Acid, Charge (must charge full takes 1-3 hrs) 25 minutes
STEP 6. Check all fluids (oils differentals etc.) 15 minutes
STEP 7. Fill Tires with correct Air Pressure 5 minutes
STEP 8. Adjust Brakes 15 minutes
STEP 9. Oil Air Filter and Reinstall 15 minutes
STEP 9. Adjust Idle Speed 5 minutes
STEP 10. Install Battery 5 minutes
STEP 11. Check ALL BOLTS FOR PROPER TORQUE 1 HOUR
STEP 12. Test Ride 10 minutes
STEP 13. Detail Quad Top to Bottom 1 Hour
Now add all that up 10+25+45+5+25+15+5+15+15+5+5+60+10+60=300 mintues or 5 HOURS TOTAL TIME
Now that time is rolled up from 3 times the quad comes to see me from leaving the truck to build to prep to delivery to customer. If you take the local average Honda Shop's service department labor at $70 per hour and multiply it times 5 you get $350..........I think the 400 is pretty high for a Honda but 350-300 is not out of the question.
Also......do you people realize that dealers are in business to make money???? If you were not making you boss any money would you have a JOB??? Probably not. I know MSRP is not what most places sell em for ( they sell them cheaper) but come on people....we have to eat too you know!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

OH yeah that $20 assembly thing from honda on your little sheet is what honda credits the dealer to assemble the quad not how much it costs....do not belive everything you read...lol

Old 03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

dont act like your doing one at a time your doing 5,10 or maybe 15, its not 5 min for gas, or tires, hell i got a hand pump and could do it in 5 min, and the gas takes about a minuite.fluids take about 5 min,and the brakes have adjusters on them.that 10min test ride must be tough for you . my buddies uncle works for a dealership, and i got a 05 2x4 rancher for 3800$ and they delivered it to my house, and i know they didnt lose any money.