Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I cannot make up my mind! I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cannot make up my mind! I need advise

Hello Everyone,

I will get to the point: I cannot decide whether to get the BF 650, SP500 EFI HO, or the AC 500. Of all the dealers, the Polaris salesman was the most eager for the sale and was pleasant, never pushy. Moreover, the Polaris dealer let me test drive the unit for as long as I wanted, the others didn't even like me sitting on the seat. Lastly, Polaris had the best financing and rebate offered. The Kawasaki and AC dealer wouldn't budge off of MSRP. In fact, the Kaw dealer wanted to charge above MSRP! The out the door price for the Polaris would be 6400 with the rebate applied.

My problem is this: I have done tons of research on the aforementioned models and I cannot get over the fact that the Polaris models seem to be associated with more reliability issues. Is this a thing of the past with Polaris? The SP 500 has been out for quite awhile now, so I would think they would have it perfected. I liked the clearance and smooth ride of the sp500, but I don't want the thing in the shop all the time.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this from you all.

Thanks folks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default I cannot make up my mind! I need advice

My problem is this: I have done tons of research on the aforementioned models and I cannot get over the fact that the Polaris models seem to be associated with more reliability issues. Is this a thing of the past with Polaris?>>>>>>>>

I think you answered your own question? Maybe this is why Polaris is offering better incentives? Have you looked at the Outlander's? There's a 650 coming out, neither of my Bombardier quads have had reliability issues that weren't rider/owner related (battery,flats, stupidity lol...etc.).

Quality is remembered LONG after price is forgotten.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you are sure to get Polaris bashers and lovers out for this one. The 500 EFI seems to be a great quad though. The Kaw dealer trying to get over MSRP, I would run away laughing from this guy. There has to be a better dealer out there somewhere close to you. The AC is a great choice if you want to do a lot of hunting/fishing, mudding, or work with it. They tend to not be as "sporty" as other manufacturers though. To me, it is a bit like buying a new car. Every maker has warranty repairs, even the % of cars that require warranty service are usually close across the board. It just seems that the people paying 60K+ are always happier with their purchase then those paying25K or less.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Good thoughts here guys, thanks. I think I will forgo the Polaris this time. I will take a look at the Bombardier, but for now the Brute Force looks pretty enticing. The reviews on the BF are that they have excellent engines, but their ride and handling can take some getting used to. The Arctic Cats are appealing due to the great suspensions and the Suzuki engine. My father-in-law swears by AC, but like I said the price on their 500 seems a little high to me.

On that Outlander, Raidermike, has the visco-lok been pretty reliable for you? I think I remember reading something about that system having a couple of issues. Well, I will check these out and give a full report!

Thanks for the help!

Bubba

Old 03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bubba123
Good thoughts here guys, thanks. I think I will forgo the Polaris this time. I will take a look at the Bombardier, but for now the Brute Force looks pretty enticing. The reviews on the BF are that they have excellent engines, but their ride and handling can take some getting used to. The Arctic Cats are appealing due to the great suspensions and the Suzuki engine. My father-in-law swears by AC, but like I said the price on their 500 seems a little high to me.

On that Outlander, Raidermike, has the visco-lok been pretty reliable for you? I think I remember reading something about that system having a couple of issues. Well, I will check these out and give a full report!

Thanks for the help!

Bubba
You wouldnt regret the AC, I know because i paid a whopping 7300 dollars for mine, but now i know what it means to "get what you pay for"!!

Old 03-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

On that Outlander, Raidermike, has the visco-lok been pretty reliable for you? I think I remember reading something about that system having a couple of issues. Well, I will check these out and give a full report>>>>

No problems at all, in fact you don't even really notice you are in 4WD. My G/F normally rides it now as I have the Rincon and DS. It is a very comfortable quad to ride and use, the IRS makes a huge difference IMO. For the kind of riding you described I'd suggest the new Outlander 650 or Rincon 675, EFI, IRS, ease of use, very practicle and comfortable, won't find many complaints about either. They may cost more then the Kawi, but I've learned an expensive lesson or two when it comes to finding the right quad LOL.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris had some relibility issues in the 80's and ealry 90's, with the old 2 strokers, and some issues with their big bore twin liberty engines (600cc-800cc). However, some of polaris's problems have been from design flaws. They do not sit back and wait for the other manufactures to design and perfect something before jumping on board. Polaris was the first quad to have a CVT tranny, then the first to have IRS, and the first to have efi. Being the first to design something means you have to be the one to perfect it. All the other manufacturers play it safe and wait for it to be perfected then use it themselves and boost at how they have no problems. Now, the sportsman 500 has been out since 1996. It uses a the Fuji Heavy Industries engine(38hp) that is absolutely bullet proof! I have a buddy with a 1997 500 with over 15k miles and never been to the shop once, or had any work done. Just gas and go. The sp500 is a tried, true, and perfected machine. I would'nt put it in the same category as it's big brothers twin engines, as far as reliability. The sportsman 500 is polaris's #1 selling quad even today. This is because of the reputation it holds. You will NOT go wrong with the sportsman 500. It is an absolutely GREAT machine, best in the 500cc work/utility class. Not the most sporty, but it is designed for sporty either.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: ppope
You will NOT go wrong with the sportsman 500. It is an absolutely GREAT machine, best in the 500cc work/utility class. Not the most sporty, but it is designed for sporty either.
WIth a larger rack capacity, 2" receiver hitch, more ground clearance, and more suspension travel IMO the 500 AC is the better work/utility ATV.

I used to ride Polaris and had fun on them, but the maintenance was a killer. A TON of greese zerks too, but then again that was almost 10 years ago, maybe the have zero zerks now, and I am sure they are more reliable. I would probably still be on one if AC didn't make ATV's.

Here in St Cloud the AC 500's are going for $4999 for auto 4x4's. You should check out different dealers. Be sure you are able to test drive something before you buy it. Good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Range Rover

I'll agree with ppope. Even though i'm not a Polaris man. I've seen some 500's and 500 HO's take a serious beating. My father in law has a 98 500 and its been sunk in a river several dozen times by his kids. It flew off his trailer once and got stuck headlights down between the truck and trailer (someone pulled out in front of him and he had to lock up the brakes) and the damn thing still runs and drives. The handlebars are bent and one rim. But he still drives it. And for a 500 class machine. They do have a large amount of low end power.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Lowend power is what the sp500ho is known for. That Fuji 499cc engine puts out 38ho in the sportsman, and around 50hp in the outlaw and preds. This is what fuji is known for. They make big #'s out of small engines. Their engines in the subaru cars are also examples. They make over 300hp from a 4 cylinder.
Arctic Cat 500 is a good machine, however, it does not have the lowend grunt the sp500 does, as it is the suzuki vinson engine. Great engine, just not as torquey. Yes it has a 2" reciever, but also less max towing capacity. You shouldn't have any mechanical troubles from either the sportsman or AC, so either will do you fine. If the polaris dealership is easier to work with go with them and don't worry about the reliability of the 500ho, or your frame breaking like an AC, joking kinda!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I cannot make up my mind! I need advice