Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which big bore utility?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which big bore utility?

carburetors are time tested, what improvements does EFI bring? Are there any drawbacks? Have thy been around (on quads ) long enough to be deemed reliable? Thanks for all the good advice. >>>>>>>>>

EFI has been in use for decades not necessarily on quads but BRP has used it on sleds and watercraft with little to no problems. The advantages are no jetting required if upgrading your exhaust and you won't have any fuel mixture problems at different elevations, no choke, should fire up immediately even in cold weather.

BRP is releasing the Outlander 650 in about a month, something to ponder on. The only advantage the KQ has over the Outlander is a differential lock(although I wouldn't necessarily call it an advantage since the Outy has Visco-loc which is better for all around uses IMO).

The Brute Force is FAST but lacks in handling and suspension badly.

The Sportsman is big and fat, IMO probably not great for your type of riding.

As far as "rumors" regarding the Outlander.......Mine has been rolled twice and has never even needed to be in the shop, no frame problems at all. They have upgraded the front suspension.

For the money the KQ is hard to beat, you get a lot for considerably less then Honda, Polaris or BRP......It does have some handling issues when cornering at higher speeds, slight tendency to want to roll but once you get used to it probably no problem.

You might also want to consider the Honda Rincon, they are blowing out the 05's CHEAP. The 06 has been increased to a 675 as well as EFI. Probably one of the most comfortable and plush quads next to the Polaris to ride......Automatic with a 3 speed electric shift option, they look really nice and should be very low maintenance. Downside is no low gear and engine braking isn't great....All depends on the type of riding you do.

Personally I'd lean toward the BRP, Honda or KQ if comfort/suspension are important.

IF power and speed are all that matters, go with the Brute family.

IF mud/work is your main thing, look at the Polaris.

If you want it ALL go with the Outlander 800. IF my local dealer would take my DS and Outlander 330 on trade straight up I'd get one.

Old 03-14-2006 | 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you want power, speed, mud, work, suspension, and speed rack accessories get a Cat!!

Old 03-14-2006 | 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I like the EFI I have had no problems with my King also carbs dont like to run work right when the motor gets hot ,like when you ride tight steep trails. And the EFI gets better milage under hard ridding You will find that the King is the most stable ute on the market I think even better than the honda

Old 03-14-2006 | 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to through out the idea of a Kawi Brute 650 Solid axle (old Prairie 650/ new plastic and name). The Bf650 SRA is one of the best values on the market with a list price of a 500cc machine with most all the power and frills of the big bores at a list price of $ 6,599.00 and most sell for about 5600-5900.00 very fun to ride and the sound and feal of a big twin motor, there is nothing like it for the money.

Another quad that should be really good for what you want to do is the Outlander 650 or 800, its hard to beat an outlander IMO.

Old 03-15-2006 | 10:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

So would it be unanimous that most of you all recommend the KQ over the Grizzly?

Old 03-15-2006 | 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

So would it be unanimous that most of you all recommend the KQ over the Grizzly? >>>>>>>>

They are coming out with a new model very soon, probably a 700 EFI. Yamaha has really been squeezed in this category, everyone has upgraded now they must be working on something.

Old 03-16-2006 | 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raidermike67
So would it be unanimous that most of you all recommend the KQ over the Grizzly? >>>>>>>>

They are coming out with a new model very soon, probably a 700 EFI. Yamaha has really been squeezed in this category, everyone has upgraded now they must be working on something.
I agree, if you can't wait the KQ would be my pic over the Grizz.