Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Making it street legal

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making it street legal

alright, well, I'm considering buying my buddy's yamaha raptor 660r (2001) ...i'd like to make it street legal, but it's on a salvage title, as the owner before him wrecked it and we rebuilt it...it's in just about perfect condition, he's gonna give it to me for $800 (mostly cuz i helped put in a ton of wrench time n he really just wants someone to go ridin with) anybody know what's necessary as far as makin a quad on a salvage title street legal?

Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's going to be a lot of work. I've done a lot of research for Oklahoma and so far I have been told by the DMV that I have to install all necessary equipment (turn signals, mirrors, DOT tires, etc) and then send all my receipts and a request for title change to the Oklahoma Highway Commission. I haven't done that yet because I already know their answer, it's titled as an "off-road" vehicle and in their book can never be street legal. The problem is the ignorance of the local state lawmakers, they have no clue that quads on the street are just a safe (if not safer) than a sport bike.

Polaris is already testing a prototype street quad called the "Revolver" and they are planning to market it in Europe. I have no idea why they don't just lobby to have the laws changed here in the US, they would make so much profit on something like that.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here in Oregon if it travels w/more than 3 tires on the ground it isn't a motorcycle, so in addition to turn signals, DOT tires, and all that stuff it would also have to have seat belts, windshield wipers, high beam indicator, and a whole bunch of other stuff that would basically make it not doable.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

That sounds about right. I actually found a copy of my state's motor vehicle laws and just like you said if it has more then three wheels on the ground it's in a different class than a motorcycle. I couldn't find anything in there about what sort of equipment was needed for a custom car title or experimental title. but I'm sure it would take more then I'm willing to do.

I think the guy in California who made a three-wheel Raptor had a good concept. He just made a custom single tire rear swing arm and that made it fall under the motorcycle category. I guess someday we'll see quads on the streets when the big companies starty lobbying for the laws to be changed so they can make money selling them in addition to their sport and cruiser motocycle product lines.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen that raptor too. Seems like to me that it would be a single wheel for the back end would be an ok investment. If it were me doing it i would try to keep the shock mounts and everything the same as the regular set up so you can change swing arm out and put off road tires on it. Then you would be able to drive it do the ridding spot then change it back to quad to go riding! Ive seen it on here somewhere i cant remember where.

GOOD LUCK!