Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying our first ATVs (30yo in SoCal)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 08:36 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Buying our first ATVs (30yo in SoCal)

Alright, we spent this past weekend riding renting ATVs in Pismo. My wife rode a Grizzly and she loved it because it was automatic...just put in 'drive' and go. I rode a 250ex. We found that we got around the dunes just fine. It was scary at times but nonetheless very fun. I think I'd want to come out here a few more times to practice before hitting a place like Glamis.

Anyway, after this weekend's ride I'm definitely going to purchase bikes, trailer, blah, blah, blah this weekend. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a bigger bike like 400ex, Banshee, or Raptor. Although I only did a total of 12 hours of riding, I could see where I'd want more power...graawwwr! LOL

For the wife, well for her I'd like to find a similar bike that will not require shifting. That Grizzly weighed a ton compared to the 250ex. Now, what's the biggest automatic bike on the market?

Does the 400ex, Banshee, and Rapter shift like the 250ex where you push the shifter down to go into neutral and you kick it up to shift gears?

Thanks. I want to have as much knowledge as possible before I buy.

Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2006 | 08:47 PM
Range Rover

if your riding dunes alot the best dune bike is deffinelty the ds 650 from bombardier.

Old 05-31-2006 | 11:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Never trust a guy from Wisconsin, when it comes to dune advice! The DS is huge and heavy, so if you aren't over 6' and over 250 pounds, not a great idea.......

The Banshee, is way outdated. It has a thrilling motor, but the suspension is terrible. You can mod it up and have fun in the dunes, but there are so many new 4-strokes out there that are so much better. Plus, you will run into the RED STICKER issue, with a 2-stroke.

Old 05-31-2006 | 11:38 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: reconranger
Never trust a guy from Wisconsin, when it comes to dune advice! The DS is huge and heavy, so if you aren't over 6' and over 250 pounds, not a great idea.......

The Banshee, is way outdated. It has a thrilling motor, but the suspension is terrible. You can mod it up and have fun in the dunes, but there are so many new 4-strokes out there that are so much better. Plus, you will run into the RED STICKER issue, with a 2-stroke.
Thanks again. So should I stick with the 400ex for myself? What about my wife?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2006 | 06:58 PM
Red Rider

The 400EX is a good starter quad for you, and maybe a 250EX for the wife. Later, you can get something more powerful, and she can take over the 400EX. Then the kids can take over the 250EX, etc..................

If one insists on an automatic, you really limit yourself to machines that aren't really the greatest for So. Calif.

Old 06-01-2006 | 07:06 PM
|
Trailblazer

That's basically what I'm being told by my brother-in-law. You two are very logical and I'm going to take you up on that advice.

Now, can you steer me to a dealership where I can pick up both bikes and a trailer? What should I expect to pay for a new 400ex and a new 250ex. I'll be buying new for these reasons: (1) Piece of mind, (2) free training course, (3) $100 helmet rebate, (4) warranty, and (5) dealer will service it good to win my business.

Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2006 | 07:11 PM
Red Rider

Carson Trailer has solid trailers at a reasonable price. http://www.carsontrailer.com/

I don't know much about dealers down where you are? Out here, I prefer Redlands Honda/Yamaha. Sometimes you can find good deals at Chaparral, if they have a sale going on or something. At least their selection is huge, but sometimes their customer service isn't great.

Old 06-01-2006 | 07:18 PM
|
Trailblazer

Bellflower is right at the 605/91 (near Long Beach).

Many people have recommended Del Amo Motorsports and Berts 'something' Mall in Covina. I don't know how to ask any other way without it sounding forward so here goes....would you mind telling me where you bought your 400ex and z400 and how much you paid?

Old 06-02-2006 | 02:08 AM
Red Rider

I bought all my Honda's from HYR (Honda/Yamaha of Redlands). I bought all my Suzukis from Chaparral.

I probably usually pay something close to MSRP, because I usually get a new quad right after it comes out. At that time demand is greater than supply, so you cn't expect them to cut yo a deal, and you just have to eat it to be the first kid on the block with the new toy.

Old 06-02-2006 | 10:30 AM
Red Rider

I would suggest the Z over the EX, unless you are going to do a lot of trail riding. It handles just as well, but has lots more hop-up potential, when you are ready for more power. If you go with a Z, be sure to get the magnesium cluth and water pump covers replaced with aluminum ones, before you leave the store! There is a corrosion issue with the coolant used.

Quick Reply: Buying our first ATVs (30yo in SoCal)