Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help....what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help....what to buy?

Ok so my parents are looking to buy an ATV possibly two. They live in Montana on a huge ranch, kind of like a farm. There is a lot of mud during certain parts of the year and snow during winter, but not too much. For the most part though just fields and more fields. They are looking for something that can get them around their property with no problem and help with every day chores. I have no clue what to get as I have no ATV or quad experience, and neither do they. That is why I have come to these forums [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]. Anyways Ive asked around and a couple of my friends have recommended polaris as a good brand to buy. Do all ATVS/quads come with 4wd or whats the deal with that? I know they need it. ANY HELP appreciated.
They also want to use these ATVs to go on mountain trails to just explore around local areas. Again they arent looking to spend a fortune, so is used the way to go? Or should they just go brand new. I in my own greed want them to get something fast, just to have fun on when I come up here to Montana.

Thanks for all the help

Old 07-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Do all ATVS/quads come with 4wd or whats the deal with that?
No, some/most utility quads come with 4X. All sport quads are 2X.
Again they arent looking to spend a fortune, so is used the way to go?
Not in my opinion. If they are good with mechanical things used is not bad, but your usually buying someone elses problem.
I in my own greed want them to get something fast, just to have fun on when I come up here to Montana.
Fast and cheap don't go hand in hand. If you want fast your going to have to lay down the cash...........if you want cheap your not going to be fast.

One tip: Buy a quad with a dealer around your area. Ex: If yur only dealer around is a Honda, go Honda. If your only dealer is a Polaris.......................

Old 07-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

I think your parents should get a polaris sportsman x2 you can ride 2 people on it and it has a little bed like a truck. and it has EFI

Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Honda Rancher is a good basic 4X4 utility machine.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

any other recommendations

Old 07-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

The suzuki eiger is a good one. It is pretty zippy about 57mph, my dad has mine while I am deployed and he is using it for all sort of chores, everything from moving small trailers to getting feed, he looks for a reason to drive it. They also like to take it to trail rides ( for horses not ATV's) to help out with the chores out there being that they are out there for a week at a time, some of there friends also take one to help. The eiger in 4x4, 400cc range, has a hi/low tranny and come in auto or manual. Just my $.02

Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: DDDonkey
The suzuki eiger is a good one. It is pretty zippy about 57mph, my dad has mine while I am deployed and he is using it for all sort of chores, everything from moving small trailers to getting feed, he looks for a reason to drive it. They also like to take it to trail rides ( for horses not ATV's) to help out with the chores out there being that they are out there for a week at a time, some of there friends also take one to help. The eiger in 4x4, 400cc range, has a hi/low tranny and come in auto or manual. Just my $.02
thanks thats the kind of response i was looking for

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

The yamaha kodiak 450 is a pretty good machine. My brother in law has an 03 and he can do whatever we do go just about wherever we go, its four wheel drive, easy starting, and a good machine for the money. Every body in my family has a big bore (650 and bigger ). my father in law bought an 03 honda rincon 650 and my brother in law bought the kodiak and it was in the winter, we had a ton of snow and the rincon was running around in two wheel drive and the kodiak would not even move in two wheel drive, it had to be in four wheel drive.But to sum it up the kodiak is a little cheaper, it can be used for work pretty good, and it has a decent amount of power.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

How about a side-by-side, like a Kawasaki Mule or Yamaha Rhino?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

If your getting two ATV's I'd say get one 4x4 ute and one sport quad... The cheaper ute's are pretty slow IMO with anything around 400cc but still fun in their own way, like going through the mud is fun on any 4x4 doesn't matter the power. I'd definately recommend a new Eiger 400, the manual is a lot of fun, but the Auto is easyier to operate, they aren't a lot brand new, I say it's better to buy new if you can b/c some people do pretty crazy things with their ATV's, ecspecially if their about to sell it.

For you though I'd recommend a sport quad, a 400cc sportie is entirely different than a ute 400cc speed wise. You can get a used 400ex for like $2500 around here, and it would be plenty of speed for a beginner. I hope this helps.