Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

TAXES

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey if you live close to the state border as i do and you have relitives in the next state. and you don't have to register your quad as i don't. then use an out of state address and save 5% or what ever your state tax is. my dealer had no prob with this.

Old 12-01-2000, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

I did the same thing. I live in NJ and bought my new quad in NY. I saved over $300 in sales tax.

Old 12-01-2000, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Want to flame someone for stating the truth and the facts? An opportunity awaits!

You, and your dealer, if he's knowingly involved in the scheme, are committing the crime of tax evasion.

Holders of resale permits are required by law to collect sales tax on in-state sales. Residents are required by law to pay sales tax on in-state purchases. Can you break the law? Of course you can; after all, Jesse James did, didn't he?

Can you get away with it? Maybe so, then you can boast how clever you are; hoever, remember, for all his crimes, Al Capone was convicted of but one: tax evasion (he died in prison).

I'm turning you both in for the reward (50 % of the recovered taxes)!

Diogenes

Old 12-01-2000, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Oh God, Diopers, you suck!
Hahaha, I hope you crash and burn so I can laugh at you.
Zion

Old 12-01-2000, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

if i remeber right the show i seen on jesse james he lived to be well in his 100s and no one ever caught him. as for the law. well i pay enuff taxes on the money i earn not to mention what i spent . so catch me if you can.

Old 12-02-2000, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Diogenes,
Actually Capone died of syphilis in his Maimi masion, after being released from prison. Alcatraz as a matter of fact.

Rick

PS. I assume your just kidding about the turning in of someone? Everbody hates a snitch!!! The lowest form of life on the planet.

Old 12-02-2000, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

You might get away from paying taxes but where I live the state of Washington they have got the loop holes figured out. Heres an example. We live across the Columbia river from Portland Oregon. If I purchase a quad in Oregon, there is no sales tax, great I save money.

HOWEVER, if I ride on any state or federal land I must have a registration. To get this I have to pay Washington sales tax at the DMV. So they got you, up here anyways. If I rode only on private land then I wouldn not have to register the quad.

Old 12-02-2000, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

boy washington's got you by your xxx but here in indiana and mich all you need is an orv sticker for under 10 buck and your good to go..no registration needed.

Old 12-02-2000, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

snowshark,
I didn't know you guys had to register quads. Do you have to title them also? Oregon did away with that last year. We don't need a title or registration for a quad. You can pay the DMV and get one if you want. But your not required by law to title a quad. We have to buy an ORV permit to ride on state lands, but that is only $10 for a 2 year permit.

Rick

Old 12-03-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

01Griz,

Washington really has got us. We have to renew our ORV stickers every year. It seems there are less & less places to ride but they want more money.

We had some people in Oregon (BLM?) approach our club & ask our club for help & told us they wanted us to build & maintain trails on state land. This is a different approach.

The only problem is its in Astoria & thats 2 hours for us to get there. Let you know when we have more details on that one.

Later