Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking to buy a 2 stroke!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy a 2 stroke!!

i was thinking of getting a banshee, 250r or hopefully i can find a good zilla...... i know the 250r will be very reliable for a 2 stroke........ but i wanna hear ur guyz oppinions

oh yea either one i get will be setup for dunes

Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

i would get a zilla, i used to have a 89 model and it was a bad machine.be great for sand dunes.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

yea i was leaning toward the zilla since its fast stock, but its hard to find a zilla around here

Old 09-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Range Rover

the zilla would be the fastest stock but u could find more aftermarket parts for the shee
i would go with the shee

Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

If you're going for a dune machine then go for a Banshee. Banshees are the kings of the dunes.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

how about the suzuki lt250r? is any good? cause i just saw an 86 lt250r for 1800 obo

Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Yea, I just bought my first 2-stroke machine this summer, I LOOKED AT ALL THE 2 STOKES OUT THERE and ended up going with the 250r, now heres what I found:
Suzuki Quadzilla- extremly powerful, fast machines they just fly all the time their good in the dunes or on the track but not that good for trails (too fast) the only problem is it's hard to find a nice one, most of them (all the ones I looked at) were modded out to $hit. The was also something with the older model zilla's, some problem with their heads or something (5 bolt heads) and the newer models have the 6 bolt heads but I'm don't have all the details about that.
Yamaha Banshee- easy to find a nice banshee because they just stopped making them and there's alot of em out there, I looked at these but, wasn't really interested in gettin one due to the fact that everyone I know who has had one has had lots of problems with them in particular they tend to blow their cranks alot, sometimes only one side of the motor will fire and its hard to get the other side going and it has 2 carbs, cylinders, exhausts so when you buy parts for em you need 2 of each. The only thing that they are really good for is the dunes many call them THE KING OF THE DUNES and people doing stunts on the streets like in the movie the quadfather with them you really don't even see many people racing them on tracks and the one I rhode on there trails really sucked (really stiff suspension).
And now for my favorites........
Suzuki Quadracer 250- my dad has a 91 and I will tell you the one we got is one extremly reliable quadracer, this thing has never been rebuilt and it will still start on the like 3rd kick and it runs awsome, great on the trails, in the sand, and it will even hang with 660 Raptors. We've ran it pretty much every summer fall and it still has plenty of pep to it.
Honda TRX250r- Just bought a bone stock 1986 250r this summer I have had it out twice and so far so good, it handles great on the trails for a 2-stroke, starts second kick, it's just a great over all machine so far just like my dads quadracer it'll hang right up there with those newer big bore, 4-stoke sport quads (raptor 660).

As far as that 86 quadracer you found I'd look for a 90-92 model with the power valve engine, although there is many people that own the older models (85-89) and love em so really it depends on what kind of condition it is in. ALSO, I HAPPENED TO NOTICE YOUR FROM CALIFORNIA, YOU PROBABLY KNOW HOW STRICT THEY ARE ON EMISSIONS THERE ESPECIALLY ON ORV'S so no matter what you buy you will probably have problems with getting it stickered due to its emissions all I can say is use a good 2-stroke oil (amsoil?). Anyways I've prolly said too much hope I gave you some usefull info. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

yea its strict here in cali...... a friend of mine has a 409 banshee and another has a 330r they're both quick....... as for the zilla i have only seen 2 both were hella fast....... and i have seen only 1 ltr250 it was pretty quick

i just cant decide!!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

If you see a nice zilla for a fair price (even if it's a couple hundred or few hundred more than you wanna spend) I'd get that zilla, I would have but I just couldn't find a nice one plus I'm more of a trail rider so it wouldn't have worked out good. Anyways I'm more into stock quads too, I like to keep them as close to stock as possible. Just my $0.02

Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

the only zillas i have seen have streetbike engines....... i also heard the 250r handle very good.........is that true?

Quick Reply: looking to buy a 2 stroke!!