Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to ATVs, Need Utility (and help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ATVs, Need Utility (and help)

I'm new here and have no experience with ATVs. I'd like a machine to use around the yard. I'd like to use it for plowing and yard maintenance. The more versatile it is, the better. I'll need 4x4 because of the snow. I have no need for speed. From what I've read, it seems a utility atv is best. Can someone give me the basic specs of what I should be looking for? Specific brands and models would be good too. I would prefer to buy used to save money. The biggest thing I need it for is to move snow.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 2wd will move plenty of snow, but 4x definately makes it an easier job. When looking, I would steer clear of any atv with a cvt style tranny that lacks low range. Low range will help extend belt life on a cvt tranny used for plowing. Personally, I think If you find something with a geared tranny like a Suzuki Eiger or Vinson, or a Honda Foreman , you can't go wrong. The bigger quads have more weight to them, which will help when plowing that heavy wet snow. With proper tires and possibly chains, the smaller engines can still push plenty though. Arctic Cat and Polaris make some great work style utilties also. Polaris tends to be a loove it or hate it relationship. If you live anywhere that gets a decent amount of snow though, it is probable you have a Polaris or AC dealer close by though.Basically, you should be looking for a 4x4 with at least 350cc engine and a tranny that has low range.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree, also i would point out with the AC, you will get the best ground clearance, and a differential locker for really going through some deep snow! Also, the Grizzly is a nice machine, i know a few people who use the grizzly just for snow plowing, and like it

Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

Well, it depends on what options you want and how much you want to spend. Do you want things like IRS and a locking differential? Almost any ATV over 400cc's will get the job done, though bigger ones more easily than others. What you get has a lot to do with how much money you can spend. Tell us that and we shall help more.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

polaris 800 efi`s are nice if you got the dough, a used grizzly would be cool too.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help. What is a cvt?

I looked at a Yamaha Bear Bear today. It was a 2001 with 89 hours. Asking $3,600 with stock equipment or $4,500 with the wheels and tires that were on it.

This may be out of my price range. I know it's not nearly as good a time, but a snow blower is a lot less. These ATVs are expensive! May be the wrong machine for the job.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

3600 seems high for an 01 Big bear IMO...but your really not going to find a high enough displacement used ATV under $3000 IMO for what your needing it for. How much snow do you need to move? B/c a snow blower is only good to a certain point, In my case I can't use a snow blower I get 2 foot drifts on my driveway in the winter.

A 400cc machine is the bare minium in my opinion for my kind of snow plowing, it over works the little motor b/c on my 400 Sportsman I had to give it full throttle quite often in order to keep the pile of snow moving I was getting traction as well....a sportsman 500 would be perfect for snow plowing though, b/c my 400 was almost enough but not quite.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CVT stands for constant variable transmission. It is what snowmobiles have used forever, and now there are even a few cars with them. Basically you have a belt and pulley system that delivers a full range of ratios. Using the quad for heavy work or slow riding can burn up the belt prematurely. The nice thing about them is you select forward, reverse, or low range and just go, no shifting. They are the dominant offering in the ute market now, and are very capable of moving snow, I just think a geared tranny is more durable for heavy work. Are you in Canada by any chance? That guy is smoking something illegal if he thinks he can get $3600 for a used Big Bear in US dollars. And an extra $900.00 for used wheels and tires? Keep looking. What is your budget anyway?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

The big bear has super low gearing and should do well in plowing...but you don't want to pay to much cash....like stated earlier

Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: utilitymachine
Thanks for your help. What is a cvt?

I looked at a Yamaha Bear Bear today. It was a 2001 with 89 hours. Asking $3,600 with stock equipment or $4,500 with the wheels and tires that were on it.

This may be out of my price range. I know it's not nearly as good a time, but a snow blower is a lot less. These ATVs are expensive! May be the wrong machine for the job.
900 for wheels and tires is insanely high. most dont even cost that much new, with shipping.

Quick Reply: New to ATVs, Need Utility (and help)