Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

4 Quads and a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 Quads and a Budget

Riptide-Just wondering specifically where you plan to ride? You mentioned mountains, and I assume you will do lots of low desert riding as well, and maybe some dunes (?).

Anyway, how did you got interested in the huge Polaris? Again, I think you will find all the huge/heavy utilities to be poorly sutied to the desert southwest! If you have decided that you require a ute (need 4wd, high ground clearance, or racks), there are many, many choices out there in smaller lighter (and cheaper!) machines. Keep in mind that the power : weight ratio, can make a huge difference. (You know why that Polaris is 800 cc's? It has to be because it weights 800 pounds!)

My personal riding conditions requires that I have a machine that is on the smaller side, so I picked the Honda Rancher. The Rancher is all new for 07: with EFI (!), water cooled (!), selectable 2wd/4wd, disc brakes, etc., and a price tag a little over $5,000. It is a bit heavy for my taste, but I need another 4X4 so I am going to take a good look at it before I make up my mind. My other option is to sell the Rancher, and just get a Rhino (1 Rhino = two quads!).

Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riptide-Just wondering specifically where you plan to ride? You mentioned mountains, and I assume you will do lots of low desert riding as well, and maybe some dunes (?).
Mostly the quads will be at my cabin in southern Utah - high altitude about 9,000 ft. There won't be too much low desert riding and probably no dunes riding. I expect to do a lot of high altitude trail riding. I've ridden a polaris and a can-am 800. Both had a very comfortable ride but I preferred the Polaris. My research has also indicated that a well-maintained used Polaris will cost less than a comprable Can-am. I'm certainly open to correction if I'm wrong.

My reason for wanting a large quad is because of my size - I'm 6'4, 270 lbs.

I did know that the Polaris was a beast. My understanding is that the engine is more than able to move the frame well enough for the more challenging mountain trails I plan on riding.

My personal riding conditions requires that I have a machine that is on the smaller side, so I picked the Honda Rancher. The Rancher is all new for 07: with EFI (!), water cooled (!), selectable 2wd/4wd, disc brakes, etc., and a price tag a little over $5,000. It is a bit heavy for my taste, but I need another 4X4 so I am going to take a good look at it before I make up my mind. My other option is to sell the Rancher, and just get a Rhino (1 Rhino = two quads!).
I had considered a rhino or a ranger but after driving a friend's ranger the other day I just don't feel as in control when riding one of those - Even with the seatbelt it feels as if I could slide out. Don't get me wrong - that thing could go anywhere with two men my size but I just didn't feel secure in it.

So, with what you now know about my riding uses, what would you reccomend?

By the way, thanks for your time. It is appreciated.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

First, make sure your wife crosses her legs as you are over due my friend.

4 quads on a $12G budget is going to be tough. I am biased. Hondas have always been trouble free for me and these models are near bullet proof. Just try to find stock, unmolested bikes though. Accessories are OK, but no motor mods.

For you: Honda 400EX - expect to pay around 1800-2200 Depending on condition. Relatively unchanged design since inception. Bullett proof. Newest models have reverse option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

For the wife: Honda 250EX - expect to pay around 1500-2000 Depending on condition. Shaft drive for maintenance free operation. Clutchless 5 speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

For the oldest kid (Bear in mind, above 90cc is supposed to be for 12 years and up): Honda 250EX

For the younger 4 kids: Honda 90 - expect to pay around 800-1400 Depending on condition. As far as the 90 being trail worthy: We only take my daughter trail riding (10 years old now) but some states are more strict about the age requirements and may require a training course. I 'm thinking most atv's under 90 cc do not have headlights. The newest models (2006) have electric start. These are arguably the lowest maintenance cost atv's in existence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

From experience, at the age of 4 the child lacks the ability/maturity to go on a trail ride with the family. Im not saying it is too early to ride, but to go on a long ride into the wilderness, no. I started my daughter off at around 5-6 years old and rode with her on her quad with me driving at first from behind her while explaining what I was looking at and how to control the ATV. Then, eventually I would just sit behind her and let her run the controls and only take over if she misjudged a turn too close...which is a big problem in a public parking lot.

One thing to consider when you have fleet of atv's is maintenance. Keeping up on the maintenance can seem like more of a job than the fun you have riding them. Try to minimize the complexity of the maintenance. If you have 2 or 3 of the same models, it is just easier to remeber what needs done.

Good luck and happy trail riding

Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

DW406,

Thanks for your advice and your research!! Very helpful. I've been of the opinion that I'd need a larger quad but if I understand you correctly, that's not necessarily the case. Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes a difference if you will be mostly riding in the mountains, so you are probably stuck with a utility. (For me, I have to have a set of sport quads for the desert, and another set of utilities for the mountains.) My kids 250EX's, however are excellent in the nasty technical stuff, so don't pass this one up as a possibility for the older kids.

Also, do you plan to leave the quads in Utah for the winter? Might not be a bad idea to trailer them down to Vegas, so you have something to ride. And, it's not good to leave them to rot in the cold, anyway.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Riptide
Thanks Foreman,

I mispoke on the watercooled Hondas. I meant to say that only the newer ones have fuel injection. Is that right?

I've heard a lot of people say the Hondas are geared too high - that they don't have a very good low range. Is this accurate? Thanks.
I have not had any problem with 1st gear on my Rincon. It is plenty strong. As for the other Hondas, they have great low gear.
I pulled my dad out of the mud with my 450 Foreman. He was in his Dodge 3500 Ram.......................pulling a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel! Is that low enough for ya!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

sport quads are the way to go man, you might as well be cruzin a dunebuggy around if you get a ute. their so big and bulky its rediculous. sport quads have plenty of power, i been riding 16 years (im 19 now) and i have a '05 400ex and ridin it sometimes scares me on the trails. all my friends have utes and we ride trails, and we can be going along in my first gear their second or third and i lay into it and they say all they see and hear is wop! and a dust trail and im nowhere to be seen. their just incredibly fun to ride. and plus a 400ex is good all around. low maintainance, good power, reliability, and a "good" ride quality i mean its not the best but its good. so my suggestion for you is a 400ex, and for the "ol' lady" (what we call the wife or girl friend in georgia) is a 250 ex or a 300ex, and for the kids i say somethin like 250ex or trx 90's.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: ForemanDan
Originally posted by: Riptide
Thanks Foreman,

I mispoke on the watercooled Hondas. I meant to say that only the newer ones have fuel injection. Is that right?

I've heard a lot of people say the Hondas are geared too high - that they don't have a very good low range. Is this accurate? Thanks.
I have not had any problem with 1st gear on my Rincon. It is plenty strong. As for the other Hondas, they have great low gear.
I pulled my dad out of the mud with my 450 Foreman. He was in his Dodge 3500 Ram.......................pulling a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel! Is that low enough for ya!
Uh, yeah. That should be plenty of lowness!! Wow!