Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'd have to say reverse lights. I'd assume tail lights to be like on a pickup-just the red ones. I do a lot of driving at night up in the mountains, and like you said, it's pretty difficult to see in all the trees. Well, backing up is even worse, so I'm going to try to wire up a set of dual reverse lights on a three way switch. That way, when I put my 'Cat in reverse, the lights will come on. Also, I can trip the switch to turn on whenever I want extra light back there. And, there would be the standard "off" position as well. I've winched out too many full sized rigs now, last time including an old Jeep Willyz, at night with my trusty old two D cell Mag lite. I would much rather prefer a set of dual 55watt halogens back there. Besides, when you are winching out a stuck full sized rig with your atv in the dead black of night, middle of a rain or snow storm, you can never have enough light. Makes things safer as well while operating under those circumstances.

Good luck with your new light setup!

Mike

Old 12-12-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

Heh, well, I don't really take cars off-road and get stuck since I'm only 16 and I only have my permit. Also, I need the lights for riding in the woods. As you have probably already experienced for yourself, driving at night in the woods (trees block moonlight) it is literally pitch-black dark. So, the brighter the trail, the better and safer. Plus, it looks cool as hell to have six headlights on a quad, assuming it can handle the power. =)

Old 12-12-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

Heh, well, I don't really take cars off-road and get stuck since I'm only 16 and I only have my permit. Also, I need the lights for riding in the woods. As you have probably already experienced for yourself, driving at night in the woods (trees block moonlight) it is literally pitch-black dark. So, the brighter the trail, the better and safer. Plus, it looks cool as hell to have six headlights on a quad, assuming it can handle the power. =)

Old 12-12-2000, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Up where I ride in my elk hunting area, there are tons of 4x4 only Jeep trails. Some of them are completely impassible without a winch, yet it always seems that somebody thinks they can get through. Well, I know for a fact, when it says "winch required", you had better listen. Seen too many people try to go through these area's without a winch, and none of them ever make it. Most of the time, it's at night, and like you said, the moonlight don't get through the trees, so it's as black as you could ever imagine.

When I go in and winch out these guys at night, I'd like to have the reverse lights on there to light up the trees I have to tie off to in order to keep me from sliding forward. Flashlights aren't always enough, as I was trying to hook around one tree on a side-hill once at the edge of the road, couldn't see my footing and slipped over the edge. Luckily I got caught in some other branches, and hung up so I didn't fall very far, but with good lights, that wouldn't have happened.

I've got a set of 55w halogen ion lens bulbs up front from Cabela's which work pretty good, but I'd also like to get that Highlifter Daylight kit as well. Can't ever have enough light in the dark of night when there's work to be done!

Take care,

Mike

Old 12-12-2000, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put a set of 55 watt lights on a honda 350 and had to up grade the generator. A trip to a local auto electric shop and few bucks, it was fixed. A buddy of mine put 2 kc daylighters on the handle bars of his Kodiak. He has had no problems or mods needed. You see this guy coming out of the woods from a long way off. He also fabricated the mount out of angle iron. Its not pretty but it works.