Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 or Grizzly 660 - what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctice Cat 650 or Yamaha 650?

Hello all,

I've been kicking around for a few months. Though I do not normally post I do enjoy reading the posts.

I am looking at a purchasing a new machine in the next month or so and I think I have narrowed it down to what I would consider two of the more reliable, well equipped and feature rich bikes available. But I am still a little torn. Of course they each have their own merits. I have read many positive posts from owners of both, but like anything, many invididuals are biased of their ownership. I have not come across many posts stating many negatives with these machines. These two machines seem to offer the best overall package for my riding style and requirements, though all brands are formidable in their own ways.

My question is, are there any advantages or disadvantages between these two rigs that would tilt the scales in favour of one over the other? I guess the biggest problem I have is the fact that I do not necessarily have access to drive both for seat of the pants comparison purposes. I have ridden recent Honda's and Polarsis in the past but never a newer Yamaha or Arctic Cat.

Couple of my questions are: What machine (aside from just sitting on them) tailor better to a rider of 6'2 and 195lbs? What machine gets the better fuel economy if both were ridden identically (im guessing pretty even)? Which machine offers the easier accessibilty for maintence and repair work? Which machine handles better? Which machine provides the nicest and most comfortable ride/suspension?

And most importantly, why would you choose one over the other.

Plans are mostly for easy-medium riding difficulty, flat to medium terrain, light utility work and snow plowing in the winter. Although I have not been into ATVing for a long time I raced motocross for 10 years so know how to handle a bike and my own abilities.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed, infact greatly appreciated in hopes of hearing from some current owners and perhaps even some that have ridden both and are willing to provide some unbiased critical comments.

Thanks kindly,

Old 11-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 Arctic Cat 650 or Grizzly 660 - what are your thoughts?

Nobody has any opinions or insight they are willing to share??

Old 11-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

For starters, the Grizzly is faster than the AC 650. This is primarily due to the extra weight that the AC totes around. Truthfully, I'm not sure why anybody would buy an AC 650 when they could step up to the AC 700. The AC 700 uses the same fuel injected engine found in the Suzuki King Quad.

Really, the AC and the Grizz are similar in a lot of categories. They both have good ground clearance, although the Cat has more, both ride nice, although the Cat is nicer, and both handle mud well. The Grizzly might have a slight edge in handling and that's not saying much since they both sit high. I have the Grizzly and it is a great hill climber. With the addition of aftermarket rims and tires, it handles much better and is a lot more stable overall. The Grizzly also has one of (if not) THE best and most durable belt-driven automatic transmissions out there.

They're both good machines and you'll be happy with either one. Is there any reason you're not considering the AC 700 or even the new Grizzly 700? Granted, they're a little more costly but may be well worth it.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well truth be told, cost was the biggest factor. And then looking at the specs, the Yamaha 700 is 686 cc. CC for CC compared with the 660 your not gaining a whole lot more for the additional $2000 Canadian it would cost you factoring in taxes in and everything else. The power steering is the only advantage I consider the grizzly 700 to have over the 660 but then I have heard from others its really nothing special and more of a nice feature, like having backup sensors on your truck vs. not. Its useful, but you can easily do with out.

The AC, well it is heavier that is a known but I am not sure how relavent that is in the grand scheme of things considering the engine size. So yeh, price was really the determining factor here. Is the difference between the two engine sizes really a breaking point on these two models?

Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Well when cost is a factor like it is with me I always buy used and have not regretted it yet. For Example my friend bought a new 2003 660 Grizzly for $10,000 Canadian after 15% taxes. Now he wants to sell it because he does not use it much and a baby is on the way. It only has has 800 Kilometers on it (600 miles) and it looks and runs like it always did.

He wants $6500 Canadian for it and because its used you only pay one 7% tax at what ever he writes the bill of sale at[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

I do not know what new 2006 660 grizzly cost out the door in Canada now, but I,m not buying a new one for $3500 more (use that money for Canun Mexico this winter) just so it has 600 miles less on it.

As for Yamaha,s 6 month warranty they are over like a fart in the wind.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually I was planning on just financing one and extending the factory warranty. Then paying it off over the next couple years. Cash is hard to come by per say but for what Im looking for from a feature standpoint only machines in the last couple years can really provide, and for the difference in price for us canadians, i would just assume know exactly what Im getting and have the warranty coverage. I plan on keeping the unit for a few years anyways, so Im okay with that.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jblack
Well truth be told, cost was the biggest factor. And then looking at the specs, the Yamaha 700 is 686 cc. CC for CC compared with the 660 your not gaining a whole lot more for the additional $2000 Canadian it would cost you factoring in taxes in and everything else. The power steering is the only advantage I consider the grizzly 700 to have over the 660 but then I have heard from others its really nothing special and more of a nice feature, like having backup sensors on your truck vs. not. Its useful, but you can easily do with out.

The AC, well it is heavier that is a known but I am not sure how relavent that is in the grand scheme of things considering the engine size. So yeh, price was really the determining factor here. Is the difference between the two engine sizes really a breaking point on these two models?
The difference in CCs is only half the story. The new 686 in the Grizzly is designed much better than the old Grizz. It has a redesigned head, sits lower in the chassis than the old 660 (lower center of gravity), fuel injection of course, forged piston, and roller rockers arms that Yamaha claims reduces friction by 50% compared to the rockers in the 660. You're blinding yourself if you're only concerned about the difference in engine sizes.

The new Grizz also has a totally redesigned suspension and it is way more stable than the old Grizz. The A-arm design is a very good idea. Saying that the only difference between the new grizz and the old grizz is a slightly larger motor and power steering is like saying the only difference between a "chevette" and "corvette" is how they're spelled.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The cats already come with a 3 yr warranty. I like both machines, but being an avid outdoorsman, i like AC. The speedrack is a must if you want to pack 200 pounds of gear on. Everything you ever need just snaps on the speedrack in seconds, and comes off as easy.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies fellas. Much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Here's one more vote for the 660. I did a lot of research before buying and the 660 will do just about everything excellent across the board. The Grizz was the better bang for the buck in this area. Besides the local AC dealer around here is Bass Pro, and I didn't want to buy a ATV from a department store.