Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help finding the perfect ATV for me, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding the perfect ATV for me, please help

well, here let me try rewrite my riding style:

I ride out in the woods around (4x4 can come in handy, but the only problem i've had with my 2wd atv is it can't mud bog) where there are rocks sticks mud holes etc. I also enjoy getting air, going off jumps, i am not going off too big jumps yet, on my 80cc (my only atv) I just made a jump maybe about 2ft tall, i get some air not much, but im learning, if i can i would like to learn how to go off bigger jumps and such, i also enjoy doing a little mud bogging. So basically i am kind of a hybrid rider or whatever. I like to go out in the woods where there are some trails and not some or whatever, go off jumps, do a little mud boggin, and i also kind of like the racing style such, (sorry if my noobish language may bother some of you guys). I also like sport quads because i like there possibilities, going off jumps doing tricks, racing, driving fast, doing wheelies, endos etc. Thats why I am interested in sport/utility vehicles, If i had the money i would probably buy a utility quad and a sport quad but i can't i don't have that kind of money yet and im still just a teenager.

Outlaw:
So, i like the outlaw because of its clearance, its shocks, the fact that its good riding my kind of style in the woods (except for maybe mud boggin now and then) and i like how its fast and shaped like a sport quad, and can do that, also has reverse. The only things i am a little dissapointed about the outlaw is that it does not have a button or something that it can switch from 2wd to 4wd, and from what i've heard the 06 one couldn't slide, instead it flipped, and im a little hesitant because i have to shift with a clutch and i am only used to a automatic clutch shift atv's.

wolverine:
i like the wolverine because it has reverse, has a button that can switch from 2wd to 4wd. I also like it because it would be good for mud boggin and driving around in the woods. But i am hesitant with it because of its weight (500 pounds) and its size, it may not be too good with the sport quad abilities, and im not sure with it being automatic, i know its easy to drive but what about those times when you need it to stay in a lower gear and be able to rev it as much without having it automatically shift.

Sum:
I like them both, i like the outlaw but it has some utility disabilities, i like the wolverine but it has some sport disabilities. If there was one, i would like an ATV like the outlaw but is semi-automatic, has a button or something to switch from 2wd to 4wd and if it does, it to not flip and instead slide. But i can't switch the outlaw around like that, so i have to settle with what the world has to offer now, which is why i need your help. I am looking for an atv that is like what i just said with the modified outlaw, i needs to have reverse and should be around 350-525. now please help me and thank you for your time!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just described a Suzuki Vinson 500. This is a very sport like quad that has great power, handles well (power slides) and will handle jumps. It comes in automatic and 5 speed. It has the selectable 4 wheeldrive and has an aggressive look. But it is a heavy machine. All utilities are. But this is one that doesn't feel like it when you ride it. You owe it to yourself to at least go look at it.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Range Rover

How old are you BigFoot?

The quad you are describing is a Scrambler 500 it is fast and has selectable 4wd.

Tom

Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello I am pretty sure im getting a raptor 700. but im nervous if im going to get thrown off it ... or if its way to powerful that ill like get hurt or die! I am 13 years old... 6'1 and weigh 185 pounds. someone please respond.. tx. So should i get it?

Old 12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

any amount of power in any vehicle can be safely handled. the trick is to take things really slow, learn your machine & terrain, and make baby steps up to more tricky manuvers, never try something all out unless you have a lot of time on your particular vehicle and feel comfortable doing so. I'm use to riding an old honda 4trax 300 and can ride that thing up gravel piles and jumps off ditches at 40 mph, but I'm about to buy a new quad and now I will start the whole process over again taking small slow steps.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: sherwin
Hello I am pretty sure im getting a raptor 700. but im nervous if im going to get thrown off it ... or if its way to powerful that ill like get hurt or die! I am 13 years old... 6'1 and weigh 185 pounds. someone please respond.. tx. So should i get it?

That's too much bike for you.

Tom

Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Trailblazer

is it just me or should the guy who said hes buying a raptor 700R should have posted his question in his own thread that he started?? thats how it goes in other forums. anyways, continue. THANK YOU!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BigFootWitness
is it just me or should the guy who said hes buying a raptor 700R should have posted his question in his own thread that he started?? thats how it goes in other forums. anyways, continue. THANK YOU!!!

I hope your joking

Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

I have riden the Outlaw 500. It is fast, so the 525 will be scary fast. If you have no experience on a motorcycle or a quad with a 1 down, 4 up manual transmission, you will definately have some learning to do. I liked the Outlaw for what it is, a sport quad. It is made for speed, not slow technical trails and rocks. 1st gear is not low enough to easily creep around on. It does have IRS which is good for trail riding b/c it is a softer, smoother ride. IRS is bad for sliding since it just wants to grab and go, that's why they roll. The Outlaw does have a higher ground clearance which helps on trails and in the mud. It does ok in the mud and would probably do better than what you currently have b/c of the higher ground clearance. If you do hit some mud with it, you will get it on you. That's just my .02. I have never riden a Wolverine, so I can't say anything about that.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

im hearing people say it doesn't slide. Is that the 06 one. What about the 07. What do you guys mean by slide. When i see videos of it being using i see people taking turns and doing donuts and such and not flipping. here:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...ghPerformance/

look at all the sliding its doing, it ain't even lifting. Im confused, can someone explain. Sorry for my "noobishness"
lol.
thank you!

also, can i put this winch on the 07 polaris outlaw 525:

http://www.warn.com/atv/winches/1.5s.shtml

or whats a good winch for when i get stuck in the mud or whatever for the outlaw 525?? thank you!!!!

Quick Reply: Need help finding the perfect ATV for me, please help