Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Daddy's girl

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daddy's girl

I just wanted to share with you that my daughter who is twelve now has been riding two up with me for several years and It's way past time to break the strings. She does ride my wifes prairie 300 a lot but when we all ride she is with me. Little does she know but two months ago I bought her a yamaha Raptor. She will get it on Christmas day and I can assure you it has been mighty hard not going ahead and giving it to her. All my friends have been setting her up and she is really on a kick to slap them all in the face about owning a yamaha. They all call her the Yamawhiner. I can't wait for Christmas and I bet daddys girl won't have anything bad to say about yamaha's anymore...

Just thought I would share,
Mud

Old 12-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

That is pretty awesome. Getting your kids to join in on the fun of riding is awesome. Especially at that age. She will be keeping up within a few months and probably outriding you in a year. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daddy's girl

I assume that is a Raptor 80 (not a fuel injected 700!). Is she small, because in general I think of the little Raptor as being for the littler ones, and usually to small for a 12 year old. She might outgrow it before next Christmas!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

have that camera ready christmas day .........

Old 12-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

It is a Raptor 80. All the states around us (and there is talk of it coming soon to SC) have a law called Chandlers law. This means that no one under the age of 16 may ride anything larger that a 90cc bike or atv. A $500.00 fine is imposed to the parents if the children are caught. I do not agree with the law but I don't want the fine so I have to follow suit. We travel a lot out of state to ride.

I already have the video camera on charge and I believe I will post the "surprise picture" on our profile page when she finds it. My wife and I have come up with a rather detailed scavenger hunt where she will find diffrent clues to eventually find the atv. We will be putting nothing for her under the tree before hand and she has already been told we don't have the extra money for anything this year.

I can hardly wait and yes I do believe she has all the potential to be outriding dear old dad very soon off.

Smiles,
Mud

Old 12-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

cant wait to see the pics.

hoyt

Old 12-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

i was hoping it was the 350

Old 12-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

Hey Mad, where in SC are you? Ever ride at Windrock?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

Formandan,
I live in Walhalla SC up near Clemson university. No, I have not been to Windrock yet. My regular riding friends all went last year and I had reservations to go as well but, at the last minute I had to work. We are already planning a trip up there sometime this next summer. I went to Hatfield McCoy last September and met and rode with a group of people that live 20 minutes from Windrock they ride it almost every weekend. I will contact them before my trip up there because they all said they would be my personal guide to all the good places to ride.

Mud

Old 12-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Daddy's girl

Here it used to have a little more sensible breakdown. Up to 12 years old, max. CC was 90, then 12 - 16 was up to 200CC I think (maybe 250) and 16+ could ride whatever.

Then they started having troubles with kids running rampant on adult sized ATV's so the brought in new legislation the same as you now have. Have to be 16+ to ride any ATV over 90cc. And under 12 you're not allowed to operate ANY atv.

Here's the funny part. The reasons why it became a problem in the first place was 1. parents giving free roam to their kids and not keeping check on them while operating the ATV's. 2. No policing of the existing regulations. Now, they've got tighter regulations, and STILL no policing. So what was the point? Just a waste of taxpayers dollars and a negative impact on youth ATV sales. The problem we have is parents giving these atv's blindly (not in all cases I'm sure) to their kids as high priced babysitters.

In any event I'm probably going to be getting a youth ATV for my 5 year old next year (he'll be 6 then) for use out around our cabin. Wide open spaces and very few people to get irritated.

Quick Reply: Daddy's girl