Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Advice on first time quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 04:17 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Default Advice on first time quad

Welcome to the forums EasyDoesIt.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Try to get out to a few dealers or with friends and ride as many quads as you can get your hands on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007 | 05:16 AM
Range Rover

You asked, and it looks like you got some pretty good responses. First of all you live in So. Cal, which means you have some of the best sand in the country (Glamis, Dumont..both different). The greatest thing about today and tommorows quad market is the variety. For me the mistake I made (being over 40) is I went conservative. Have family and all that but wanted to enjoy the experience my friends were having (ATV's). So I bought a 04 KFX700 and Suz LT80 for the kids. Now I've never riden any shifter in my life (other than a car). But to my surprise it came very naturally to me (riding my friends bikes). The 400's will definately get the job done; for a while. (If you had to pick one take the Suz). I assure you after a couple trips you will be dying for more power, now what ? It's one of those pay me now or later situations (if your competetive you'll want more power trust me). Let me try and cut it short, if shifting clutching, etc is not your thing or truly believe it never will be, than get a KFX700 (but be prepared to spend 3-4 K , so it can compete against the 450 modified sport quads). Our just get the damn 450 and learn with caution.. Now when your ready; just step it up and add mods as needed !!

04KFX700/ now 796cc w/11:5-1 compression; Crower cams, port&polish,Dalton Clutch, 44mm Empi (Weber)duel down draft carb, HMF Duel, Works G-Pro front shocks, etc..etc..

(2) Suz 250's both alba pipes (they suck, both broke after less than 20 hours) +3 front and +5 back (spacers, good for the wife and kids)

05 APEX 100MX PRO, this little two stroke rocks. Nothing more to say about this little bike.......But even I love it.

Old 01-14-2007 | 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Well, I've never rode, looked into, or ever ridden with, a Raptor 700. But I used to own a Honda 400 ex. They're great bikes, that was my first quad, I'd recommend it as a starter bike. It isn't the fastest bike on the market, obviously, but it is a great bike. We had it for about 2 and 1/2 years, and all we ever replaced was the rear tires when they needed replaced. Other than that, it didn't need anything. If you take care of it, perform the regular maintenance, and check the oil and simple things like that, you won't have a problem with that. Thats definitely a good choice, But like I said I have no experience with the 700 Raptor.

As far as clutches go, you will be fine. Just practice a little bit with it, and you'll get the hang of it in no time. It's easier than it looks. However, when you do learn, remember when you are trying to start moving, it's better to stall and have to try again than to give it TOO MUCH gas and flip it backwards or fall off. With a 400 ex you shouldn't have that problem, unless you give it WAY too much gas, as, like I said, it isn't the fastest machine you can buy. But you will be fine as long as you don't do anything stupid.

I'll gladly answer any questions about the 400 ex if you want. I'm always on here, lol.

Good luck with your choice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]