Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

WHAT WOULD YOU BUY IN THIS SITUATION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to consider which quad to buy. I have 3 options with advantages/disadvantages. Please give me an honest answer. They are:
1. USED 2000 Polaris Xpedition 425. $3600
ADVANTAGES:
Cost
Already has a winch
Already scuffed a bit so no tears after the first scratch on a new machine
TRUE 4wd so i've been told
Won't depreciate as much as a new machine will
DISADVANTAGES:
Polaris' questionable reliability
Not sure of the 4wd system
Not the big dog machine
#2 New 2001 Honda Rubicon
ADVANTAGES
Auto Trans good for mudding?
Reliability
Ground clearance
Smooth power delivery
DISADVANTAGES
Not Sporty
Price (I can get one for $6300)
Limited slip not as good as other 2 machines 4WD systems i am told
Extra cost of winch and larger tires for mudding

#3 Bombardier Traxter XT
ADVANTAGES
Good 4WD system
Winch and larger tires alrady installed
Cool Yellow color and styling
Storage box
Not going to see a hundred on the trail every time I go out.
Width may help stability on hills
DISADVANTAGES
Width may hurt in woods
Unproven reliability
Shifter seems clunky and loud
Price ($7600 quoted locally, But I have seen $6900 advertised nationally)
Resale value on 99-00 regular traxters not very high
looks sporty, but does weight of the machine hurt?

I am basically looking to ride woods, some mountain/hills and some mud. I am torn because I used to have a 300ex and it was a good machine, but I do need 4WD and don't want to work on the machine constantly or get stranded. I also don't want to pay out the butt to have a machine sit in the garage 29 days of the month. Please give me honest answers especially if you own/know someone who owns/have ridden these machines

Old 12-14-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

shumdit

You have obvisiouly done your homework. I will not comment on the Traxter as I know nothing about them.

On the 425 Xpedition. This has been a very good machine for Polaris. The only problems that I know of is the stock brakes wear out fast and the lower steering stem bushing gets a lot of play in it pretty fast. A new set of severe duty brakes will run you less than $100 all the way around and the steering problem can be fixed permanently for $35 with an aftermarket bushing. The 425 engine has been around for years and is a great performer. The Polaris 4wheel drive system is great. On my 425 magnum, the 4wd is there when I need it. Most owners of the Expedition really like the shifter system, though I have never rode one, so I have no personal experience. The price you quoted sounded very good. As for not being the biggest dog on the block, You will find that the 425 engine puts out plenty of power for almost all riding situations.

On the Rubicon, I have never rode one, so this is only what I have read. The transmission is supposed to be the best thing out there for an automatic and the 500 engine is supposed to have great power. The only thing I truely don't like on the Rubicon is the price.

If I was you, I would get the Xpedition for almost $3000 less. The Rubicon is a great machine, but $3,000 will buy a lot of accessories. Just my opinion. Ride both and decide for yourself.

Old 12-14-2000, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

if it was me....................rubicon

Old 12-14-2000, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I split the difernce and just purchased a Honda 450es. My dad on the other hand purchased a traxter last year. As far as hill climbing and off camber bolth of these machines seem to do about the same. But I saved about $800 over the traxter. There are now 2 guys driving rubicons out on our hunting lease (which has hills like heart attack and butt clincher, very properly named hills) they report no problems with hill climbing or stability. Me not a big polaris fan after ridding and looking at them. Friends that I have that have the polaris have never had problems with them they just stick to the regular mantinance program. Lastly the first machine I bought was used I never had any problems but for the money I should applied the money on a new one and financed the differnce.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

Go with the Xpedition, you can't beat the price and with everything I have read they are a good, dependable quad. Also, search the net for all the articles on the different quads, then you can get a feel for all of the qualities of every one of them.

2000 400ex
2001 300ex (buying it Saturday)

Old 12-16-2000, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a great price on the Expedition,and your getting a REAL 4x4 system!
Bill

Old 12-16-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

You do know that the Rubicons claimed 10" of ground clearance is a bunch of advertising B.S. It really has only 8" from under the diff. skid plate.

Old 12-16-2000, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Sence I got a Honda Rubicon I would haft to say the RUBICON. It's an awsume atv, it gets you where you want to go where others wouldn't dare with a stock atv and I think it's the most sporty utility ATV out there today. Honda really did good on this one.

Old 12-18-2000, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

If money is no object then go with the Rubicon. The Rubicon is better than the Xpedition by far.

If you are leaning toward a used Polaris check it throughly. Pay a mechanic to look at it. Often when something is to good to be true (such as the price of the Polaris) there is a reason!

Old 12-19-2000, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

lovinhonda,
Try riding a Grizzly sometime, and then a Rubicon. Then tell me which one is the "sportier" of the two.

Rick

Quick Reply: WHAT WOULD YOU BUY IN THIS SITUATION?