Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
96U
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer needs advice

Ill give my info first.

Im 6'2", 220 lbs. Im an experienced dirtbike and sport bike rider but Ive ridden VERY FEW ATVs. Mostly little ones. I recently got stationed in Ft Bliss TX and the big local riding area is all sand. I took my XR 600 out and it was pretty difficult. I was the only dirtbike amongst a sea of quads. Im not used to that much sand cuz Im from maryland so Im looking to buy a quad to add to my growing collection of toys.

I was originally debating between a YFZ 450 and TRX 450 because I wanted to make sure I have enough power to make up for my size. I had pretty much decided on the Honda cuz always had honda dirtbikes and theyre rock solid. Then I started lookin at the 400EX cuz the motor is air cooled and based off an XR 400. Im not much of a mechanic, so the mostly maintenance free XR motors have always appealed to me.

I like the 1K less price tag on the 400 too but will it have enough power to haul me around on the dunes without sand tires, and will I get bored quickly.

Also, whats the aftermarket like on the 400/450 hondas

Old 02-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both. I like the R for the open desert because it is geared tall and the engine likes to rev, and the EX for the trail because it has lots of low end grunt and the engine doesn't mind being lugged down. I actually live very near lots of dunes, but only ride them a couple of times a year....they just aren't my cup of tea.

The EX is adequate for the dunes, but 220 pounds is pushing it. It has great handling, but isn't at all a powerhouse. The engine has some hop up potential with just some simple mods.

The R rips, and it handles even better than the EX! You do need to be more diligent with maintenance with the R. The R is the king of desert racing, so that's all I needed to know before getting one!

Take a look at the Suzuki Z400 as well. It is probably the best all around machine out there. Very much like the EX, but with a lot more motor. Lots more hop up potential as well.

You are a bigger guy, so the Raptor 700 might be worth consideration as well. I find it a little tall and the center of gravity a little high for my taste.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want big power and lower maintenance, the 700Raptor is pretty much your only choice, with the DS650 also being a good dune machine. The 450's will require the same maintenance as the 450 dirtbikes. I don't think the maintenance is that bad for recreational users, but it isn't like that big 600 of yours which needs an oil change a few times a year and valves adjusted once in a blue moon.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
96U
Weekend Warrior

I was originally lookin at the 700 for sheer power but then I read about the high center of gravity and that, pluss the extra 1200 dollars kinda turned me off. I can afford one but I just cant bring myself to spend that much of my savings. My wife said I could (god bless her) but I would feel guilty.

Ive only owned one suzuki and two kawasakis and they were crap so thats why I havnt even considered them. Ive never owned a yami but the magz say theyre just as durable as the hondas lately.

What kind of maintenance is required on the 450R. Am I gonna have to rebuild it every year.

Same question on the 700. Oil changes arent what Im talkin about. How often will I need to fix carbs, rebuild motors, transmissions, big stuff like that.

All the suggestions are appreciated

Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 450R absolutely dominates desert endurance races like Baja and Vegas to Reno! We are talking riding 1000 miles non-stop.....no time to stop for maintenance. If you aren't on an R, chances are you won't even finish much less win! What more does anybody need to know?

The R will do best with very frequent oil changes and fairly frequent valve adjustments. My oil change interval is every 5-10 hours (that's roughly one desert cross country day ride for me), and absolutely no more than 50 hours without a valve adjustment.

I have many friends with 200+ hours on theirs R's and nobody has had a major problem of any kind and nobody even close to needing a rebuild.....but we all run high quality synthetic oil (Maxima Extra) and are diligent about maintenance.

The Z400 is a fine machine of high quality, and the engine will ultimately prove to be as reliable as the venerable old 400EX. I just sold my Z, but only because I really didn't need it since I got the R.

You are a bigger guy, but NOT so big that you need the really huge machines like the DS650 or the Kawi 700.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
96U
Weekend Warrior

I just read an older review of the 400 and it was pretty depressing when referring to dunes and hill climbs. Looks like the 450R is pulling back into the lead.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I never rode dunes but i love my yfz it is a monster. And about the 400ex i got an 01 as well with a white bros slip on e series and it pulls all 230 lbs of me no problem. The trx also is a good quad and it is cheaper than the other 450s and honda makes an hrc kit which helps it a lot. I'm not sure it is true but i heard to stay away form the 06 trx's im not sure if it is true tho

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

definitely go with a 450. i dno which ones are the best, but i mostly see hondas out in the dunes. i probably wouldn't over look the yami yfz 450, kawi kfx450, and even the new suzuki r450. i'd probably stick with the 450r and yfz until kawi and suzuki work the bugs out of their new machines

Old 02-25-2007, 03:58 AM
96U
Weekend Warrior

Ok, the time finally came around for me to go and get a quad. I went to the local "we sell every company know to man" dealership and started looking at the 400ex. Well, I left shortly after with a bad taste in my mouth due to the sales people. I was pretty disappointed cuz theyre the only Honda dealer in town and I didnt feel like driving 45 min to the next town. Not today anyway.

Later that evening, my wife and I went out to go the a go cart track to make me feel better and theyre happened to be a Yamaha dealer nearby. We went in just to look and see if maybe they had any used hondas, just in case. Well it just happened that they had a 2005 400EX. I thought it was fate. After talking a little while the sales guy started it up for me and had some trouble keeping it running. I thought this was a little odd and on top of that, it was starting (turning over) kinda slow too.

I was beginning to get disapointed again until I looked down the line and saw a white and red raptor sitting there. I didnt even notice it on the other end sandwiched between a Grizzly and Wolverine. I asked to get a better look at this one too.

It was a 2004 660. It fired right up and didnt look nearly as abused as the 400. I rode both around the parking lot. The 400 was quicker than I expected and it lifted the front tires on me really easy. I was impressed but I was still leary of the problems earlier. I hopped on the 660 and immediately felt better. Looking at all the plastics and paint on the frame, I could tell this wasnt as abused as the 400. The trottle was response was more crisp, yet smooth at the same time. 1st gear was long and I couldnt get it into 3rd in the short parking lot (Got the 400 into 3rd easily). The little bit of gravel that I got to break the rear loose in made me like the raptor even more. The 400 did what I expected in the loose stuff but the Raptor did it more smoothly. It felt like trying to slide on tile floor in your socks VS. sliding down a slip n' slide. Needless to say I got the raptor and I think I got a pretty good deal on it. I cant wait to start sliding around in the sand tomorrow.

Thanx for all your responses even though I didnt get anything I asked about. Go fig.

If your ever in El Paso, TX gimme a call