Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying the family ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:18 AM
JBW
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying the family ATV's

Looking to get the family out from behind the boob tube. I am new on the site and have read thru lots of posts to get some idea as to what I need to get the wife and kid (12)
They will be doing very light trail riding. I was considering a couple of those off brand chinese ATV's. The price is appealing, but do they hold up? Any brands better than others? The more I save on those, the more I get to spend on mine . Considering a new Rincon 420 or a Grizzly 450

Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you mean Rancher 420, not "Rincon". I have a new 420, and it is an excellent machine....better than I ever hoped for! You will get more for your $$$$ with a Rancher than any other machine out there!

For the wife, a Honda 250EX makes an excellent starter machine! If you need more of a "utility" type ride (big fenders for mud protection and racks), then the Honda Recon is a good choice. (Just for the record the 250EX is based on the Recon, but is a sweet 50 pounds lighter.)

My friends who have bought the "off brand" machines......have mostly lived to regret it! For a 12 year old, I suggest a Honda 90....it's the best kid's machine out there. I you are on a budget, you are better off taking you chances with a used Honda than any of the "off brands".

Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a fully auto matic for the wife makes for a more enjoyableride for her ,and your child also .

Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

He brought up automatics, so I can't help but comment here.........

If you limit yourself to auto's, you are cutting your number of choices way way down, and passing up all the best machines. Do not make the mistake of making that your limiting factor in selecting a machine!

I have taught a huge number of beginners and kids to ride, and you can have a 12 year old shifting reasonably well after just a couple of hours on the quad.....wife SHOULD be even easier........

Old 03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you limit yourself to auto's, you are cutting your number of choices way way down, and passing up all the best machines.

I dont agree with "all the best machines". The best machine ive ridden is an Automatic. Its preference. They are both good machines, just decide if you want to shift or not.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you limit yourself to auto's, you are cutting your number of choices way way down, and passing up all the best machines. Do not make the mistake of making that your limiting factor in selecting a machine!
Uhhh... it,s the other way around ,there are way more Full autos than shift types. Honda is the last hold out and Suzuki is getting out of it now on Utility ATVs.

Get your self a Auto its more enjoyable for average riding. I really like the 400 Suzuki Eiger for a good bang for your buck ATV. My friend bought a new Foreman 500 with the push button shifting(E.S),and when he rides my Auto bike he admits the constant shifting on trail rides does get annoying after awhile.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

If you want a sweet spot between auto clutch and full auto the Honda recon 250 can be had with the "ES" feature. this is a push button shift for your left thumb. I've tried it and it's nice. Don't go with the Chinese garbage; parts, service, resale, it may cost more in the long run. My wife has a Can Am DS 250, it is full auto. She loves it but when my kid is 12 he will have a Honda 250EX. How big is your kid? Some 12 y/o would be bored to death on an 80 or 90cc machine, some ok. The dealers are not suppose to sell you anything bigger than a 90 (BS laws). When I was 12 I had a 250R 2-stroke, which is like a 400-500cc 4-stroke in the power and size dept. My son is 8 and has a 2-stroke DS 50, it has the size and power of an 80 or 90cc 4-stroke. He is just right for a Honda 90, problem is there isn't much between a 90 and 250. Yamaha has the Grizzly 125...might be right up your alley (full auto). If your wife is at all aggessive she may get bored with a 250. My wife is a little timid riding and loves the Can Am. The Can Am was $3100 OTD (out the door) the Honda 250's run around $3800 OTD in my area, Recon 250ES $3400, Grizzly 125 $2900 OTD. Sorry to add to the confusion.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2007, 11:27 PM
JBW
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all for the feedback! I looked at Honda today and pretty convinced for me and the wife. I do want to get her an Automatic. I am leaning toward a Ranger 420 for myself. I am concerned about getting a small Honda 80 or 90 ATV for my tall 12 yr old timid daughter. She may be too big this. The Yamaha 125 may be worth a good look.
It looks like the off brands are out.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

If your daughter is fairly tall, and not too timid I would suggest moving her up from a 125 to something like the 250 or a 300. I started riding at 8 with an 80cc and before I was 12 was on a 250. (I actually still have both of these quads, getting ready to give the 80 to my 3 year old(governed down of course)) If she really enjoys riding the 125 will be too small in a couple of years and you might have to upgrade, so for a few $$$ more you can save the trouble and additional expense of having to buy another machine in a few years.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

As far as the 12 year old daughter goes why not look at a Polaris Phoenix in the Hot Pink color? It's an auto, only 200cc, and they haven't had many problems since the 2005 model year(1st yr. for them). As far as you and your wife go, I couldn't say, but I went big just so we wouldn't be wanting that extra power later, (she loves her Buck 650) nicest thing anyone ever bought her she says, Brian

Quick Reply: Buying the family ATV's