Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best atv for trail riding 4x4 or 2wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best atv for trail riding 4x4 or 2wheel

Well here in arkansas we usually have some rocky trails, streams and some snow.
I absolutly love my Wolverine, because I can ride it like a sport quad, but still have some utility to it.
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy anything else instead.

The only thing that I see wrong with it is I would like another 50-75cc added to it for a little more power, but I guess I will just make do with the bolt ons that are available for it right now.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya here in arkansas we have little of everything..

Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Whatever way you go I hope you end up with something that you like and will enjoy.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I will always choose a sport for riding ........

But I love sliding around turns, and popping over jumps, and banging gears. I love the snappy power of a sport machine, and the light, quick handling........I even love the supposedly harsher ride of a solid rear axle ........

I don't really like trailblazing, or rock climbing, or mud bogging.... I don't really like going places where you need a winch because you know you are going to get stuck...... I have my 4x4 for work and nothing else for the most part, I rarely if ever take it out for a fun ride.......

It is really all personal preference..... some people try to have the best of both worlds with machines like the Wolverine or Scrambler, some can only choose one or the other.... I think it all comes down to what type of riding you like best .....

When I ride with 4x4 guys, I don't get mad when they churn through the mud and I have to find another way around something. I enjoy the challenge of hitting obstacles in a creative way, rather than just muscling over or through ...... It's all a matter of your point of view....

Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Offroad123
Ok guys another ?? or ya'll..I rode some more sport quads and i get to thinking whats gonna be better to have for trail riding..I really dont see my self jumping anything..and playing in the mud sounds kinda fun..I just need some more help i havent rode many atvs and never owned one so..What dose everyone perfer..??

I guess I am the odd ball here....I started on a '04 Polaris SP 400 and made the move to sport bikes (Warriors and Z400) about a year later and have
never looked back...Here is what I didn't like about the Sportsman....Way too heavy to handle (715lbs, pretty much goes where it wants to,
not where you want it to), too slow(so heavy and unstable wouldn't want to go fast on it anyway), BORING(after about two months)...
Contrary to popular belief, I was actually riding more "scared" in the trails and hills on that beast than I have ever been on any of my
sport bikes..I just felt like I really never was in control of that beast...It doesn't help that it was the ONLY bike I have ever flipped over my
head while riding on hills....This was just my experience and I thought I would share a different point of view with you..Take it for what it's worth and good
luck with whatever you buy...

Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM
DS2
Range Rover

It all depends on your terrain and how you ride. A 4x4 is much more versital, plus the big machines move along well enough. I do ride my sport quad in the wetlands/swamps, and I don't wait for them to dry up. But, before getting the 4x4, I carried a come-along with me to winch myself out of the mudholes. I rarely need the winch if I'm cruising with the 4x4 engaged and I'm still on stock tires. You can add power and handling to a ute, but you can't add 4wd to a sport quad.

With all of that said, I had my 3 wheeler first, my sport quad second and our (wifes') ute third (due to the rain this season). I'm glad I have a 4x4, but wouldn't have purchased it if it weren't for my wife.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am still looking at both..And still havent made my mind up i am gonna go around and just drive a few differnt ones..I dont want to spend awhole lot being my frist bike so maybe if i get something i might be able to sell it and not get hurt to bad by buying something i dont like..

Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

That is the best way to do it.
I enjoy riding as ss97 said a straight rear axle machine, because I like the handleing of it better and I can slide the machine.

I dont know about anyone else but every IRS machine I have ever drove scares the **** out of me because I feel like i am going to tip over(the worst for me is the RINCON.) on a hard turn or steep hill.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

DS2 does your wife ride the Grizz 700 and how does she like it ? Is it too powerful or big for her?
My wife and I are buying our 1st Quads and I'd like to get her the Grizz 700 because it has the fuel inject, power steering, auto trans, and enough power for other riders. We plan to use them for trail riding. KQ450 is the 700 without the power and weights the same. Can-am is too expensive.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Started out on the sport quads and shifting gears all day and it was fun. Now I'm a little older and an automatic 4x4 is the only way to go for me. I ride a Cat and it has great ground clearance and will pull the bumpers off a 72 buick. I also like the ability to throw my gear on the racks and just go for the weekend and camp and ride. If you are not sure I'd say get a 4x4 as sooner or later you are gonna want to get through something deep and sloppy and a decent cc 4x4 will do 60mph which is plenty fast when you are straddling a 650 pound machine. Its all a matter of preference, so good luck on your choice.