Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400EX vs. KFX 700

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400EX vs. KFX 700

I don't think the "ruts" I am talking about are the same as what you are thinking of.....

These are on steep climbs, and are caused by the motorcycles all picking the same line up the hills. When it rains, the line washes out and becomes a single deep rut. You get a wheel down in there, and you can be so off camber that you are going to go over on your side (and keep in mind that you are already on a very steep hill to begin with). Best to be on a nice light stable machine with a low center of gravity! If you are on a big, tall, heavy machine (like one of the monster 700+ pound utes!)....you're in for some real exciting times!

I have been searching all over for a set of TracStar's that are 23" front and 22" rear, and haven't found any. Rocky Mountain has me on back order, and says they won't be in until something like July.......

Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: reconranger
I don't think the "ruts" I am talking about are the same as what you are thinking of.....

These are on steep climbs, and are caused by the motorcycles all picking the same line up the hills. When it rains, the line washes out and becomes a single deep rut that can be a couple feet deep. You get a wheel down in there, and you can be so off camber that you are going to go over on your side (and keep in mind that you are already on a very steep hill to begin with). Best to be on a nice light stable machine with a low center of gravity! If you are on a big, tall, heavy machine (like one of the monster 700+ pound utes!)....you're in for some real exciting times!

I have been searching all over for a set of TracStar's that are 23" front and 22" rear, and haven't found any. Rocky Mountain has me on back order, and says they won't be in until something like July.......
Yeah, the ruts we are talking about are different, what I am talking about is on steep hills, but it is where atvs have run in the same track so much, that it has two ruts for the tires to go in, and a big hump in the middle. Sport atvs start them, then the 4X4s come and ride in them and the tire tracks get deeper and deeper and in the middle you will hang your swingarm.

Try this site, I have never ordered tires from them, but a couple of friends have, they are somewhat cheaper than most places, but unless you mount your own, you will have to pay mounting fees. The tires are A+ quality, they guarantee the quality of the tires. They have a huge warehouse in Ohio.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm

Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

The dealer let me take the KFX to my house and ride it around for a little bit, I rode it about 30 minutes. I did like the bike, although this particular one had more hours than I thought and the amount that they said after examining more closely, it also smoked a little, which I really did not like and after it got hot, seemed to have a slight miss to it. I did like the automatic, and the bike seemed pretty agile for a larger machine. Thanks for all the input it has really helped alot and any additional input will be appreciated.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

I have an 06 KFX and it is all the machine you would need.I have a Raptor also if riding double is something you do the Raptor isnt a good machine.My KFX is very good in the trails it has tons of power and you can ride double with no problems maybe even hit a few jumps.LOL The Raptor you have to shift the KFX is in a good power band all the time.Engine braking isnt a problem.The KFX is a perfect machine for what you are looking for and it will still smoke a lot of other machines out there with a few mods like mine has.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I second the rec'm for 23 in front and 22 in rear tires for help with ground clearance. I did this to my 400EX and also installed a good frame skid plate. IMO this made it a better rough trail machine with no negatives other than extra tire weight and some loss of performance. I changed counter shaft sprocket to one tooth less than stock so effective gearing is same as stock but rear tire is definetly heavier. I installed Maxxis razr2 front and Maxxis alltrack rear. Traction and durability are excellent but I wish I would have looked for a lighter rear.