Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

good trail riding sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good trail riding sport quad?

i need help. im going to get a sport quad to trail ride with some buddies im bout 5' 11" and 220lbs i was thinking of 400ex or z400 or 660raptor or a 450. what do you guys think.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

i herd the ex was good for nasty trails but slow when really opened up. also people have told me the z was fast but difficault to handel in the trails , and i have herd the raptor was tippy in rough riding and the 450s require alot of clutch work. is that right.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bigal32690
i herd the ex was good for nasty trails but slow when really opened up. also people have told me the z was fast but difficault to handel in the trails , and i have herd the raptor was tippy in rough riding and the 450s require alot of clutch work. is that right.
the Z should not be at all hard to handle in the trails...i'd say go with the Z. they are all great bikes but the 660r's had some tranny issues plus the whole tippy thing, 400ex's are abit slow unless you put alot of work into them, but run real well on slow technical trails....the 450's-no reverse- LTR-too wide .. KFX- too new .. YFZ-seat is like concrete .. 450R would probably be your best bet in the 450 department, either that or wait for the problems to surface on the KFX...that is, if you feel that you NEED the extra power and suspension that the 450's bring to the table.....The Z400 is a very well balanced machine that can do anything..TRails, track, and dunes...of course the 700R is like a bigger version of the Z400...great susp, powerful motor, easy to ride and reverse

IMHO- Z400 or Rappy 700R (if you want a lighter wallet)

Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

yea im thinking of either the z or 450r but the ex would come in handy when i get to the difficult stuf.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, skip the 660. They are narrow and tippy.

I like the EX for really tight semi-technical trails. It has an engine with a torquey low end that will lug down and can be ridden slow in the technical stuff.

The Z's engine likes to rev more than the EX. I pick it for all-around riding, but it is at its best on faster more open trails and more open country.

All the 450's like to rev. These are not engines that like to be lugged down, so if you are on a tight trail, they require a lot of annoying clutch work. I like these for fast wide open country.....

Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: reconranger
First off, skip the 660. They are narrow and tippy.

I like the EX for really tight semi-technical trails. It has an engine with a torquey low end that will lug down and can be ridden slow in the technical stuff.

The Z's engine likes to rev more than the EX. I pick it for all-around riding, but it is at its best on faster more open trails and more open country.

All the 450's like to rev. These are not engines that like to be lugged down, so if you are on a tight trail, they require a lot of annoying clutch work. I like these for fast wide open country.....
As usual reconranger is spot on.........

If you are into exploring, and trail blazing, the z400 might not be the best. But if you are going to be on a lot of faster, open trails or fire roads the z400 cannot be beat for fun factor.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

the z or ex would be great for trail. i would say the z though just my opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvriderhondasuzukiyamaha

the z or ex would be great for trail. i would say the z though just my opinion. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I own a 2005 400ex and it handles awesome in the trails as well as open area.
Has plenty of power when you need it , And is very fast on the throttle.
Will climb big steep hills with ease,Not to mention the easy maintenance required for it.
The steering is great,and turns on a dime.
I was absolutley blown away as to how good this quad operates and handles the rough stuff.
But,That's just my opinion.
Good luck and Safe Motoring.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Outlaw 525. IRS easy riding. Lots of power. GREAT on rocks.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Z400 still yo best bet. i have bin im some TIGHT stuff on them and they do fine... once you learn how to handle it it won't give you trouble..

actuly once you learn how to use the machine perfectly you could even use a 450 in the tight stuff

Quick Reply: good trail riding sport quad?