Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying a Chinese Atv Cuz I have no choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Chinese Atv Cuz I have no choice

I know what you are going to say, I have read all the "dirt" on chinese atv's.
But my parents have purchased a Cabin near the Hope Slide in British Columbia, and we need 3 atv's for some light terrain travel to and from the lake and their cabin. Nothing crazy just buzzing back and forth.

No winch needed.
No jumps.
No hauling anything heavy.

So I am asking you people to put all that you know about atv's aside in terms of how much better you Know your hondas, kawasakis, polaris, suzuki, yamahas are compared to a "chinese junkers". And just give me your opinion on whether these atv's will do the job for me. Because simply put, I cannot afford to spend more than a thousand bucks each (3 grand total) for 3 atv's, and there is nothing used from the brand names that is under that price. So its basically a yes or no question, since I have no alternative.

This particular model I have chewed the salesman down to $900 including helmet.
http://www.zstar.com/list_product.asp?ArticleID=113

Thanks so much guys.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Like anything else, there are some good ones and bad ones. There are some good ATV's coming out of China. A lot of parts on major brands are made in China. I heard a while back that Yamaha is no longer having any of the engines built in Japan but are instead being built in a Yamaha factory located in China. It all has to do more with the technology and factory spec's than the labor force. Labor is cheap by comparison in China.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have 2 hondas and 4 china quads.the china quads i would defintly stick with autos there mauals are junk they bend shift forks very easily and first gear has broke twice.is there a reason you have chose that particular brand?ive had one of those and it was one thing after another going wrong.i currently have 4 hi-bird 150 autos from

http://www.motorx1.web.cedant....ributes=Yes&Quantity=1

i beat theese things bad since i bought some hondas n theey have yet to break or anything climb hills pretty good for a 150 taken them thru rivers never really jumped them im not really into that but have had one fall 40 ft down a hill lol it made it out all right but the plastics didnt.there might be better places to buy this brand i just suggested them due to the fact they have parts and great customer service when i was going thru my manual tranny nightmare they were very helpfull and fast

Old 06-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for that last link although I am in vancouver, bc and your link is for an american company.

Does anyone know of a place other than the link I provided that has chinese or other brands for the $1000 range (110cc-150cc)

Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here............allwheels.ca...........Caper.......

Old 06-11-2007, 12:08 AM

Check out the 150cc much better tires(then the one in your link)Auto with reverse and kick start back-up,Two bulb headlight,fully adjustable coil over shocks,With adjustable rear coil over mono shock..........I am getting one on Sat 16, June.........I will keep you posted if you want!!!!!............I got it for $1500.00 Can all in!!!include tax......Come in red,blue or black.........Caper...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: buckaroo50

Like anything else, there are some good ones and bad ones. There are some good ATV's coming out of China. A lot of parts on major brands are made in China. I heard a while back that Yamaha is no longer having any of the engines built in Japan but are instead being built in a Yamaha factory located in China. It all has to do more with the technology and factory spec's than the labor force. Labor is cheap by comparison in China.</end quote></div>

Actually Chinese quads are made of poor material and couple that with the cheap labor.....Yamaha would never use sub par material you will find in these quads.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

Check out the 150cc much better tires(then the one in your link)Auto with reverse and kick start back-up,Two bulb headlight,fully adjustable coil over shocks,With adjustable rear coil over mono shock..........I am getting one on Sat 16, June.........I will keep you posted if you want!!!!!............I got it for $1500.00 Can all in!!!include tax......Come in red,blue or black.........Caper...</end quote></div>

Thanks for your help. Not being a mechanically inclined person it is hard for me to purchase over the net not seeing the vehichle. Also I weight 230 lbs I need to know if these things can take the weight and little things like my knees being close to the handlebars etc. Does anyone know of a place in the vancouver area? Your link is for the island I believe.

Also, I see their sale price for the model u speak of is $1699 plus tax. Did you get them to move all the way down to $1500 including tax on a sale price??

Thanks. And by the way, keep me posted, I want to know of your first ride out on your new toy after the 16th.

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Whatever you end up getting, drain and replace all fluids, re-tighten all nuts, bolts and screws, and check all electrical connections before you go anywhere on it.
Keep a good tool set up at the cabin too!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM

It's for my daughter.........But I will steal a ride.........You also said that three would be bought!!...Correct?.............Then you may get a even better deal!!!!!!!!!How far are you from the Island?.........It may be worth a drive for you too see them!!!....Take someone with you that can check the quad all over in the showroom that at least drives one and knows what to look for!!.......This way they can point out the good and bad points of the quad and compare models with price.........Ex the 110 cc has alot smaller chain then the 150cc I seen and the 150cc also has a chain tensioner that most don't.....little stuff like that not every person can see!!.....I keep you posted ...On June 17 I will post a new link with info on the quad!!!!....Caper.........

Quick Reply: Buying a Chinese Atv Cuz I have no choice