Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Is chinese atv's really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?

Given all the publicity about Chinese QC, I'd be very wary about getting on one. Think about that when you're halfway up a steep hill - what if the wheel falls off?

You get what you pay for. Five years ago, I shelled out good money for an Arctic Cat 500i to use on my rough, craggy, rocky farm. Five years later, it's still going strong - only problem was a fouled spark plug, and this thing crawls over anything.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

I have an 88 Honda Fourtrax 4X4, and my cousin has a 2006 eagle. On his first ride the front shockmounts, and rearend broke off, and all the exhaust bolts vibrated out, the brakes quit working. He wasn't even riding hard because he had his daughter with him. I ran the hell out of my honda, and i did mess up the front end, but it had been making a cracking noise for a long time.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
rzr
Trailblazer

im with you guys these chinese ting are built a cheap and easy as possible if t hey last a week in the woods they will be lucky I SAY BUY 2 AND THROW THEM BOTH AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

The Chinese quads DO have their uses... If you have a 6-8 year old, and you're not sure if he wants to ride or not (maybe dance ballet), then pick up a cheap Chinese ATV to find out. If he's always whining about the ATV not running, go out and find a used TRX 90 for him.
If he doesn't seem to care that he can't use his quad, sell it and use the cash for a dance lesson, tights and them slippers.

We bought an HER CHEE/ADLEY 90 (exact same as the older BRP 90 2-strokes under the plastic, only about 1/3 the price) and it has served well with proper maintenance. The kid loves it, but his next one will be Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

also remember that you will probably never be faster then any of the top 4 brands and not have a chance when racing on a track

Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Of course, we all want to race.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Got to say that being old enough to remember the dirt bike days when there were no other manufacturers besides the big 4 (and a few minor Europeans), I consider Polaris, A-Cat, and CanAm to be newcomer wanabee "off brands" as well! Why are these companies stuck on producing overly heavy belt drive utilities????</end quote></div>

doesnt the rincon weigh 600lbs?, imagine adding a second cylinder to that engine, i bet it would be much heavier than a 639lb 2006outlander 800

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

don't do it ,Chinese =junk

Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Woody1

also remember that you will probably never be faster then any of the top 4 brands and not have a chance when racing on a track</end quote></div>
You better clarify that a little better
I got two 50cc machines sitting in my garage
an XTREME and a Suzuki stock to stock the Chinese one will blow the doors off the Suzuki.
Yes the Xtreme has its problems the front suspession stinks and the lack of front brakes.
The Suzuki cost little over $1000 more and have spent over $200 on it JUST to make it go the places the cheap Chinese bike will go.

Spent more time working on the Suzuki than the Xtreme had it over a year had the Suzuki just over a month

Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

i mean on a track with jumps and everything

Quick Reply: Is chinese atv's really that bad?