Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Is chinese atv's really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

HP and Dell sell more PCs than anyone on the planet because of support, not because they make the best equipment for the money....</end quote></div>

Agreed about the service for the Chinese quads.

But, HP and support are an oxymoron. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

HP and Dell sell more PCs than anyone on the planet because of support, not because they make the best equipment for the money....</end quote></div>

Agreed about the service for the Chinese quads.

But, HP and support are an oxymoron. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Well that is probably true.... but at least they provide the illusion of support ....lol

Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Well, I haven't bought a Chinese quad yet. But I have got an HP.

At least I would be better at fixing the quad without any manufacturer support.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I wrote in the "Kids Quads and other ATVs "topic I have personally put together plenty of those chinese quads for my buddy who was in that business for a couple of years till he got sick of fixing, repairing etc. s#@t that wasn't his fault or problem in the first place. They are all built like crap trust me. You might get the odd one that runs perfect, has all it's right parts and will last you forever, but thats a long shot. I had a pocket bike for about a year myself and always needed care and adjusting of the carb, bolts and other components. Sure the bike was fun as hell but only when it actually was running good. 80% of them are lemons.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

It seems to me that it doesn't make much difference whether it's a Chinese ATV or whether it's a HONDA. The difference is really in the dealer that sold it to you. If he is a reputable dealer, he'll stand by his machines and get it fixed for you and get the parts in a timely matter. If you bought it in a box and had to put it together yourself, then you have no warranty. Most Chinese machines are made at a few different factories in China and under different brand names at the request of the importer, such as Jetmoto. The same machines are sold in Canada, but under a different name. Jetmoto doesn't have dealers in Canada, so if you buy from them, you can't expect to get service.
The best advice is to look up the brand name on the web and find out which factory made it, and what others they make. If the dealer that sold it to you can guantee service and parts, then save your money, and buy Chinese. You can buy a new one every 3 or 4 years and still only cost the same as one of the major name brands, and your machine is a lot newer.
Good luck with your purchase

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

A REAL machine will last at least 3 or 4 times longer than a Chinese one. There are plenty of Hondas, Zuks, Yamahas, and Kawis around that are more than twenty years old in great shape. There's no way that a Chinese machine will last 20 years. And a dealer being able to get parts and do service on a machine doesn't justify having it in the shop once a month spending $500.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Terry_Lynn

It seems to me that it doesn't make much difference whether it's a Chinese ATV or whether it's a HONDA. The difference is really in the dealer that sold it to you. If he is a reputable dealer, he'll stand by his machines and get it fixed for you and get the parts in a timely matter. If you bought it in a box and had to put it together yourself, then you have no warranty. Most Chinese machines are made at a few different factories in China and under different brand names at the request of the importer, such as Jetmoto. The same machines are sold in Canada, but under a different name. Jetmoto doesn't have dealers in Canada, so if you buy from them, you can't expect to get service.

The best advice is to look up the brand name on the web and find out which factory made it, and what others they make. If the dealer that sold it to you can guantee service and parts, then save your money, and buy Chinese. You can buy a new one every 3 or 4 years and still only cost the same as one of the major name brands, and your machine is a lot newer.

Good luck with your purchase</end quote></div>

Im guessing this is a DEALER.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry mywifesquad if you thought I was a dealer .. you guessed wrong. Definitely not a dealer. I just have been reading these posts trying to get some info and everytime someone asks 'the guys that know it all' for some advise, they get recommended to buy the big name brands. I think it really depends on what the person is using it for. If it's a first quad, why not go with cheap.

I've spent weeks researching all these brands reading these posts, checking out websites, talking to shops and listening to friends. I'm just trying to find an ATV that is not going to cost me a fortune, but at the same time isn't 10 years old already and runs good. I've got some basic mechanical knowledge, but none with bikes, or quads. I'm not into racing, or crazy trails. I just want to be able to go out in the snow in the winter, or dirt trails in the summer and have some fun. I still don't know which way to go, but the Chinese quad's price is very appealing.

I figure it's like buying a vacuum cleaner .. and don't laugh at my comparison. Why buy an Electrolux or Filter queen for $3,000 when you can buy a Kenmore for $400.00. Yeah .. it won't last as long, but I can buy a new vacuum every 3 or 4 years and still have a new machine and in 20 years, I still only spent half the money. I won't be vacuuming my floors 20 years from now and saying how great it is just because it's an Electrolux - It will still be 20 years old and will show it.

Same goes with the cheap brands of quads. I'll have a newer model every few years.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Dang, I complained about spending 50 bucks on our vacuum. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Terry_Lynn

Sorry mywifesquad if you thought I was a dealer .. you guessed wrong. Definitely not a dealer. I just have been reading these posts trying to get some info and everytime someone asks 'the guys that know it all' for some advise, they get recommended to buy the big name brands. I think it really depends on what the person is using it for. If it's a first quad, why not go with cheap.

I've spent weeks researching all these brands reading these posts, checking out websites, talking to shops and listening to friends. I'm just trying to find an ATV that is not going to cost me a fortune, but at the same time isn't 10 years old already and runs good. I've got some basic mechanical knowledge, but none with bikes, or quads. I'm not into racing, or crazy trails. I just want to be able to go out in the snow in the winter, or dirt trails in the summer and have some fun. I still don't know which way to go, but the Chinese quad's price is very appealing.

I figure it's like buying a vacuum cleaner .. and don't laugh at my comparison. Why buy an Electrolux or Filter queen for $3,000 when you can buy a Kenmore for $400.00. Yeah .. it won't last as long, but I can buy a new vacuum every 3 or 4 years and still have a new machine and in 20 years, I still only spent half the money. I won't be vacuuming my floors 20 years from now and saying how great it is just because it's an Electrolux - It will still be 20 years old and will show it.

Same goes with the cheap brands of quads. I'll have a newer model every few years.</end quote></div>

Sorry for the mistake. And please dont take this the wrong way...Its just that most people who post about Chinese quads being like Hondas, are either very inexperienced with off road machines....or are a dealer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I guessed wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I do like the vacuum cleaner comparison...

Gotta wonder if vacuum users at the beginner level are easier on their machines than a expert level vacuum user. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is chinese atv's really that bad?