Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Is chinese atv's really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?

yeah so do I that little Suzuki would have never had made it to the top of a ramp.
I have never ran, or know of anyone who has ran one of the bigger chinese quads,so I couldn't tell you on them but you really can't knock all the smaller ones

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

If you do buy one make sure you tighten all nuts and bolts before riding and inspect all electrical connections. If you do this first you will save alot of aggrevation later.

I have bought two off brands in the past, one I am suprised it is still going, son has beaten it to death and rode it everyday for first two years and I have done nothing but oil changes and replaced rear tires. This was a 110 model which was designed after old honda motor.

Number two is a whole different story, christmas day wheel fell off, intake manifold cracked and ignition switch crapped out. I guess the quality person was on vacation when they made this one.

I am sure that there are equal amounts of good verse bad for these. I chose to buy cheap to make sure my kids were going to be into it. Now that they have been riding for 4 years I would never buy one again.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

When you buy something like the "Chinese" ATV's, your usually buying a sub-par quality machine. If you think of it like, "O, well I'm saving money on a name brand ATV". Well your probably not.

Your really just buying a money pit. Some are good, some are lemons. Getting parts it's sometimes terribly hard as well.

I know people who buy these Chinese ones, thinking they're getting an awesome deal. Soon they realize they could've bought a name brand and never had to do all the maintenance they're doing on the Chinese ones.

I've always bought name brands, and never had a single problem with them. One of my buddies has a larger utility off-brand quad, and a lot of times he can't even go riding with us.

Just my experience atleast.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Honeyduck96

The Chinese quads DO have their uses... If you have a 6-8 year old, and you're not sure if he wants to ride or not (maybe dance ballet), then pick up a cheap Chinese ATV to find out. If he's always whining about the ATV not running, go out and find a used TRX 90 for him.</end quote></div>

That <u>is</u> a good idea though ....

Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

i wouldnt buy one. there is a reason they are so cheap. i just bought my son a semi beat up 02 trx 90 for 1000 when i could have bought a china for 500. why? because it is superior in every detail. i will always be able to get parts for it. it will run forever and i know for a fact i can pass it down to my younger 3 yo son when he gets bigger and have few if any problems with it. it doesnt have reverse or electric start but it is worth dealing with.
my wife wants one too. i plan on buying her a 250 recon. a bullet proof bike built here and even though she may not ride it too much it will always be ready to go no matter where we decide to ride. those china bikes are made with inferior materials. including metals, bearings and seals. shotty machine work and poor craftsmanship.
by buying that crap all you do is encourage them to make more. not to mention helping to modernize to chinese army and make that country more of a global industrial power all by just trying to be cheap. go get a honda or whatever. at least most of them are made here.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

I couldn't agree more with Travis. Everything that comes from China is garbage. Haven't you heard about all the children's toys covered in lead paint? The problem is that there are little to no quality-control practices in China, and the bottom line is that they don't care if you or one of your kids is riding one of their machines and the wheel falls off and you hit a tree. You're talking about a country in which they murder their infant daughters because they are not considered economically viable. It is sad, but very true that more and more of what is offered to us in the U.S. if just junk from that ****-hole country. If we refuse to buy from them until they up the standards of their production, it will force them to do so, and we can buy quality products and they can grow and prosper. However, they will most likely just find alternative markets for their crap (i.e. S. America/E. Europe). But, we really need to start buying American, and by this I mean products built in America (keep in mind that Toyota is the most American-built vehicle that you can buy. So don't just look at the company's name.) It really is sad when you go to buy an American flag and the tag on it reads: "Made In China".

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

I have waited months upon months for backordered chinese parts. Don't get one unless you want to wait forever, a kid nagging you endlessly stinks while it's out of order! Transmission i waited 4 months for, control arms with ball joints a few months, i'm in my 3rd month and still waiting for an axle, (yes the axle broke) and it is not run hard. Drives me Crazy......

Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really shocked that this debate still rages on, but I guess people can't pass up what they perceive as a good deal.

Chinese ATVs are toys, simple as that ...... for a little kid, the smaller ones are a viable option to calculate true interest. My neighbor bought some no name 50cc thing for his kid last summer to see if he really would ride and take care of the machine. After he realized the kid really loved it he went out and bought him a little Raptor and all is well....

What gets me, is that people are willing to spend $2500 on something with no name when the same $2500 will get them a used Honda that will run great for a long long time. People buy used cars all the time, so what is wrong with a used ATV? Not every one for sale has been beaten to death or ridden in races. I paid $1800 for a 2000 Rancher last summer and I would buy it again for the same price right now. Fact is with a few upgrades (new tires etc..) I could probably sell it for $2200 and no one would balk at the price.

What Chinese machine is going to hold any value like that? Of course the answer is NONE .....

Good ATVs are investments, they hold value, they are no different than a car, a boat. I want my car to get me home every day, and I don't want my boat to sink.... in the same sense I want to trust my ATV will not only get me home, but will get he home safe. It is not something I'd want to take a chance on while I'm hammering the rough trails at 30mph.

I read and hear SO MANY people cry about the fact they bought a China made ATV... most of them seem to wish they never did it. Are some happy? Yes of course, not EVERY Chinese ATV is going to be a huge pile of junk. But if even only 50% of them are is that a chance you want to take? And they will eventually break, everything does. And when they do where do you get parts? I read people say "well I'm a mechanic I can fix it or rig it up" but is that really saving money in the long run? If you are a good mechanic and can fix things, would it not make more sense to buy a used Honda or Suzuki and fix that? At least you can find a dealer within 30-40 miles to get parts without having to force something together.

Those Chinese companies are not in the game to make better ATVs. The money people give them does not go back into research on how to make better ATVs. A used Japanese machine is a much better choice than a new Chinese machine.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Got to say that being old enough to remember the dirt bike days when there were no other manufacturers besides the big 4 (and a few minor Europeans), I consider Polaris, A-Cat, and CanAm to be newcomer wanabee "off brands" as well! Why are these companies stuck on producing overly heavy belt drive utilities????</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Funny....I had a 75 CanAM in 76. You might want to rethink that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

I couldn't agree more with Travis. Everything that comes from China is garbage. Haven't you heard about all the children's toys covered in lead paint?</end quote></div>

And I guess you've heard it was an AMERICAN company that said it was their own design flaws that were to blame for most of the recalls.

The old Chinese imports were piles of crap. But, there is no arguing that they are improving the product.

When you buy that Honda Accord, ask them why they don't offer the same warranty as Hyundai or Kia. If it's so good, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Now if the importers of the Chinese quads would start to offer (and stand by) a decent warranty, they could potentially put a big dent in the smaller atv market.

Also, a good bit of problem resolution will lie with where you bought the atv. Too many of these importers will offer a franchise to someone who has no clue how these things even work. They just have a storage facility, a website and a growing bank account.

Whatever you buy, it's up to you to do the research on the brand, and the dealer.

And I don't think it matters whose brand you buy, plan on getting your hands dirty. An atv that has been ignored maintenance wise, will not care who made it.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

I couldn't agree more with Travis. Everything that comes from China is garbage. Haven't you heard about all the children's toys covered in lead paint?</end quote></div>

And I guess you've heard it was an AMERICAN company that said it was their own design flaws that were to blame for most of the recalls.

The old Chinese imports were piles of crap. But, there is no arguing that they are improving the product.

When you buy that Honda Accord, ask them why they don't offer the same warranty as Hyundai or Kia. If it's so good, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Now if the importers of the Chinese quads would start to offer (and stand by) a decent warranty, they could potentially put a big dent in the smaller atv market.

Also, a good bit of problem resolution will lie with where you bought the atv. Too many of these importers will offer a franchise to someone who has no clue how these things even work. They just have a storage facility, a website and a growing bank account.

Whatever you buy, it's up to you to do the research on the brand, and the dealer.

And I don't think it matters whose brand you buy, plan on getting your hands dirty. An atv that has been ignored maintenance wise, will not care who made it.</end quote></div>

Only problem with your argument is that neither the Kia nor the Hyundai vehicles are made in China ....

Hyundai have come a long way with their cars, but they have been making industrial trucks for decades and they know what they are doing....

Kia was started by Nissan and others, they did not just pop up from nothing either....

But you make a perfect argument on why NOT to buy a Chinese made machine, and that is there is simply no place to get them fixed when they break..... no warranty, no dealership to complain to.....nothing but headaches...........

I'm a network engineer and a CCNA ..... no one would buy Cisco equipment if we did not support it...... HP and Dell sell more PCs than anyone on the planet because of support, not because they make the best equipment for the money....

Quick Reply: Is chinese atv's really that bad?