Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Is chinese atv's really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>so when the chines motor breaks repair it with honda parts?</end quote></div>
There is no yes-no answer. Lots of parts are interchangeable and lots that don't. Best thing to do is to determine exactly what type of engine is on your quad and "match" it up with a known Japanese motor. Then you can look for the comparable part and see if it really is a swap. Also, look for some online shops who are specializing in carrying Chinese motor vehicle (scooters, motorcycles, quads, etc) parts. They are probably your best bet, other than the original USA or local distributor/dealer.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I grew up in the the late 50's and early 60's and i reminde him taht whe Japan frist started importing motor bike's in the late fifties the Japanese motor bike's were junk when they first started importing the to the states in the 50's they were the same way the chinese quad's are now and that they're getting better every year</end quote></div>We are of the same vintage. It started with "Made in Hong Kong", then "Made in Japan", then Taiwan, Korea, etc.

Look at each of these countries now. Everyone started in manufacturing, first cheap stuff then good quality, then outgrew manufacturing altogether. Hong Kong is the world's largest trading hub and financial center for Asia. Japan produces only the highest quality goods domestically (i.e. expensive) and also is a top world economy. Taiwan and Korea now produce very good quality products and have strong economies. And there is Singapore and Malaysia who jumped all the low end manufacturing and were jump started with huge foreign capital for hi tech products. Look where nearly all silicon chips and electronic boards and parts come from.
Anyone who doubts China and India (which we don't talk much about) will become among the top 3-5 world class economies is just plain ignorant.

Due their enormous domestic populations, they will develop and sustain products lines covering the full economic spectrum. Over time, their top line goods will be every bit as good what is produced globally.

Look today, I believe China is on the eve of importing autos to North America named the Cherry. When a country can produce an export quality auto, this is an undeniable statement to their ability to deliver a quality and competitive product.

I'm not expedrt in Chinese auto export production but the following video shows crash testing of a China car. This would not be happeining unless Cherry was undergoing some national safety certification processes.

crash test

Interview with Chery USA founder

Sorry long winded, China crap today, yes; ever improving quality products, yes; some day soon world class, yes.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

The truley sad part of this story is
We as Americans in the United States could be making these ATV's with good materials and good quality, but we as a country do very little manufacturing anymore.

That's the problem, we want to damn much pay for our time.

Ex McDonnell Douglas Employee (MDAC)

Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TimberedWolf250

The truley sad part of this story is

We as Americans in the United States could be making these ATV's with good materials and good quality, but we as a country do very little manufacturing anymore.

That's the problem, we want to damn much pay for our time.

Ex McDonnell Douglas Employee (MDAC)</end quote></div>

Excuse me for going further OT but what you say is really a symptom of the overall demise of the great USA. We are losing our position as the number one economy to other developing countries such as China and India and many other Asian countries. Our standard of living is too to support manufacturing jobs any longer. The Chinese may take a dollar a day now but there is wage creep coming as a way to fuel an expanding consumer driven economy. India same thing except they are further along and the middle class is growing at a good clip.

The USA, on the other hand, is losing its great middle class as these jobs go overseas in an ever increasing global economy.

I'm not sure of the actual figures but I have heard numbers like $1000 of the price of each US auto is required to cover funding pensions and benefits while others such as Toyota or Honda, the figure is something like $100.

I will never count the great USA out but it trend is clear that we are being knocked our once top dog status.

You do know there is a simple way to prop up our domestic production and consumption. Just keep killing the dollar, devalue it another 30% and all that Chinese junk and cheap Indian labor will get a whole lot expensive. Keep lowering rates and force all the major foreign central banks and global corporations to really start dumping dollars and we are in for one hell of a ride, dare we say WWIII.

again, sorry for going OT but the USA is getting really hurt and 99% of the public has zero clue what is going on and how much worse it may get.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
legleg339

i have a chinese 110 bought off ebay for about 470 Australian , ive had it for about 8 months now and its had some tough work , i use it for herding our sheep and its held up pretty well its takes a few cracks to the frame but then its carrying more weight than it should lol and been thrown over a few jumps all ive had to do with it was assemble it ( it came crated ) change the oil retune the carby for our local conditions and put a decent ngk sparky in it cos the other one fried the electrical sysytem leaves a bit to be desired but it still gets me around and plenty of fun, i cut the exaust off mine cos the welds on the internal baffles in the muffler came loose and were restricing air flow but it sounds good and goes better now too they are good if you know how to run em right give em a bit of loving and theyll let you chuck em all round the place lol

Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Quote;
Did you know that John Deere is having Tractors made in China Now? New Holland too. Yamaha, Honda,and Polaris are also built in China.

I'm sure their QC and specs are up to North American standards.
We have a few Chinese toys that range from junk to good quality.
When it comes to something I want to depend on I would spend the money on a used brand name.
My XT550 is 25 years old and I would go anywhere on it,I can't say
the same for my wife's chinese dirtbike.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Got to say that being old enough to remember the day when there were no other manufacturers besides the big 4 (and a few minor Europeans), I consider Polaris, A-Cat, and CanAm to be newcomer wanabee "off brands"! Why are these companies stick on producing overly heavy belt drive utilities????</end quote></div>

Honda is the last hold out for not using belts on there Utilities and you never hear of a Honda Utility at the top of its class in any comparison.

Honda last

Honda last agian

Not sure what you mean about heavy? A belt drive 700 Grizzly weights the same a 500 Rubicon. Weight on a utility? the more the better just add more HP I say.

As for the Topic ,I would buy a second hand name brand before a new Chinese ATV.

Can Am, Polaris and Arctic Cat Have been making high powered sleds for decades so building a low powered ATV is no big stretch for them in the least.</end quote></div>

The last paragraph of that article sums up how I feel... "Yep, we saved the best for last. Polaris knows what 4x4 ATVers like and its Sportsman 500 delivers. The Sportsman is excellent for sport riding, rock crawling and working. It has large racks, the best suspension action, the most storage room and it's the fastest. Moreover, it's just plain fun." It's the world's best selling model for a reason. There weren't any Chinese quads in the competition because they just can't compete.

I'm not a brand-*****, but I've had good luck with Polaris and would choose one over Yamaha because my friend has way more problems with his Yammys than I've had with my Polaris quads. I don't care if it's 50cc or 500cc, my choices would be something like this:

1. Polaris.
2. Arctic Cat.
3. Can-Am.
4. Yamaha.
5. All the other Japanese quads.
6. Anything from Europe.
7. A Chinese Piece Of $%^& if there are no other quads on Earth to choose from.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biggkidd

Hi All,

I'm sure I will take a beating for this post I am sure but its my take on the subject. I have a lot of Chinese products and so do you, you just may not know it. Heck even my new Motorola cell phone was made in China. I lost my other on this past weekend riding the ATV.

I will start with the facts. Yes the Chinese machines are cheaper and do require some work. Yes you can get bad apples in any cart. Did you know that John Deere is having Tractors made in China Now? New Holland too. Yamaha, Honda,and Polaris are also built in China. I am not saying all of them are But that some of them or the parts for them are. If you are reading this you have a powerful search machine at your fingertips check it out.

Now I spent the last 6 months looking at used ATVs and for under $2500. They were all junk. I looked at Polaris and Kawasaki and Honda for the most part. Most everthing I saw needed major TLC and $500. worth of parts or more. Now I am not out to race or fly through the trailes I just want to get around my property (36 ac in Lunenburg VA). 4X4 would have been nice but I decided that a new 250 2wd would do what I need.

We don't have much money I have MS and my wife is disabled I do enjoy working on things though not nessarily repairs but mods.

In Dec 2006 I got a 110 RedCat for my 6 year old daughter and its been great we all ride it. The only problem I have had with it is the carb got trash in it. Simple fix pull it off cleaned it and back together in 30 min good as new. This machine is great in the woods. Its an auto, which makes it easy to ride. And it has enough power for me 200 lbs. No its not a speed demon but it is fun and will fit any where. IT JUST SIPS ON GAS. Now I will admit we don't ride it hard but it has been flipped a few times, and nothing has broke YET! It has around 50 hrs on it and I realise thats not much. But it has always started and ridden. We have never jumped it or abused it.

So with this in mind I just bought a 2008 HiBird 250 STW. We took it and Kyrstin's 110 out to our land last weekend and had a blast. The manual 4 speed is not as nice as her auto 3 speed but ok. The gearing stinks for what I want, which is hill climbing and poking through the woods (slow). So I am looking for a differnt Rear sprocket for it and If I can't find the right one I will find one close and make it work. Its not as large as a Polaris 300 Sportsman thank god or I would never go half the places I went last weekend. I did have to adjust the clutch when we got home and I know thats on account of the gearing and the places I went. If I had open trails it would be fine the way it is. Reverse is real high speed. So far after less than 10 hours I am vary happy with this machine. One thing inparticular that I don't like is no chain tensioner. So I made one for it. I know its not even broken in yet but I believe it is going to work out great for me. Maybe not for everyone though.

I am pretty handy with a wrench or welder. Parts are hard to find if needed so I buy what I can make work and addapt it to fit. Just like my China tractor, although parts are easier to get for that than my dads Kubota.

I hope this helps those who are looking in to a ATV. If you are short on money but strong on DIY projects then go for it if not buy a Name Brand just remember you are going to pay for it. Either in sweat or $$$.

I don't like the fact that we (my family) can't afford to buy the high end products or "AMERICAN". But whats still made here = nothing unless you do it your self.

Larry</end quote></div>

Polaris Industries Inc. is headquartered just outside of Minneapolis in Medina, Minnesota. Polaris engineering, <u>manufacturing</u> and distribution facilities are located in Roseau, Minnesota; Osceola, Wisconsin; Spirit Lake, Iowa; Vermillion, South Dakota. <u>Not China</u>. Maybe something like 1% of the <u>parts</u> are Chinese, 1% Mexican, 3% Japanese, and 95% American, so they aren't 100% American. But that's better than 0% American IMO. Polaris recalled thousands of quads because of defective ECMs that could cause them to burst into flames. All of those defective parts were made in China. The American made parts work great. I'm sure other brands have some parts made in China too, but why would you want to buy anything that's 100% made in China? They use child labor, slaves, and political prisoners in their factories, who breathe poisionous chemicals all day. They force people to work 15 hour days for $1.50, strip search them at random in case they try to steal, charge them for cafeteria meals they never ate. The list goes on and on. Look up China labor practices if you don't believe me. "If you are reading this you have a powerful search machine at your fingertips check it out." Don't you have a problem with supporting a government that does that to it's people?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

I can't speak to the quality of chinese ATV's- I've never ridden one much less owned one. I have my reservations about them- but if you listen to hardcore Harley owners, they think the same things about the quality of japanese bikes.......

Quality issues have been addressed here already. My concern is something else- sustainability of the product.

Owners of the Cannondale ATV may relate. For me, coming from sport street bikes, I saw this with other brands in that market.

My issue is whether the company will last. In ATV's I believe Cannondale is a cautionary tale. The japanese makers all make other things- from cars to supertanker oil ships. The flucuating economy of rec vehicles doesn't really affect Honda or Suzuki.

Can the chinese companies do this? Especially the way china 'owns' companies under communist rule? My main fear with buying a chinese ATV would be whether that brand will even exist in a year or two. Since China is one of the world's worst offenders for human rights- changing politics can also affect it.

For example China all but funded Clinton's campaign in the 90's and so got Most Favored Trade status. But with a harder anti-communist line from the white house, we could see alot of problems from tarriffs and import quotas.

Just not a concern with Japan. I'm not casting stones about people buying from China, despite the alarming work conditions there. That's a personal decision, although many people I know try not to support China based on thier lack of ethics.

For me, it's about whether I can get parts in a year or two. Chinese products don't often have the kind of support structure that the 60 year old japanese companies do. And with politics being what they are- I'm not hanging my hat on anything from China.

Just a different concern than I've seen voiced so far.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?"></title><script src=

no you dont need the bills iv spnt 200 just to gat my gxr prosport to go and it runing now iv got no drive the cian is just spining not good

Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?"></title><script src=

Joining the fray!

O-K, I've been wanting/needing an ATV to get around my 27 acres and round up the cows, check fences, do light work...and of course, to enjoy riding and wasting a lot of time that I'd otherwise have to occupy with w-o-r-k.

I can not afford a new Jap bike- and even if I could, I could not justify such an expense just for using around my small place (and occasionally on my neighbors 120 acres).

I started looking at used name-brand ATVs...but all I've found for under $1500 are 10 year-old heaps that need work (and those name brand parts are EXPENSIVE!).

Case in point: A 98 Kawa Lakota300- lowest I could get the guy down to was $1100. Had missing small plastic parts..front brakes inoperative+caliper sticking...needs starter....tires will need replacement soon...tranny was "iffy"(had to rock it to get it in gear from neutral after shutting down)......

Neighbor bought a 10 year old Polaris, and had to put so much money into it, he could've bought a brand new one- and it's still a POS. -and nickel-and-diming him to death.

Enter the Vbike!!

I'm not one to buy junk- it's usually good quality or nothing- but I've been reading a lot of good things about vbikes on various forums- I'm going to give one of their 250cc's a try (just haven't decided which one yet- but leaning towards the v4d).

From what I've seen, buying an old ATV is asking for trouble. I do not know by first hand experience if these vbikes are good or bad....but from what I've seen, I don't think I could end up any worse off than buying a 10 year-old Jap.

At least it will be new- and from what I've seen on this forum, if I am meticulous about putting it together well, I might have a shot at a fairly reliable bike (I'm middle-aged....not going to be abusing it or riding it hard).

From what I see, the Vbikes seem to be of a simpler design than many of the name-brands. Manual trannys, minimal electronics...easy access to most components, air-cooled.... -which makes me think that a Vbike, even though maybe requiring some extra effort in maintenance, will make up for it by being easier to work on than some of the name-brands....and easier to spot potential problems, clean and maintain than a lot of the older Japs.

Any additional comments from anyone who has had a v4d or a v4sw for any length of time would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge. I don't mind working on things as long as access is not too difficult and am a fairly skilled mechanic (have rebuilt several car engines in the past), and hearing that the quality of MICs has been improving lately, I am feeling more confident about spending $1200 -$1500 for a new Vbike than spending the same on an old and tired Jap.

Whatcha think?

Quick Reply: Is chinese atv's really that bad?