Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Is chinese atv's really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is chinese atv's really that bad?"></title><script src=

I bought 2 VBIKE V4S atvs about two years ago. These things are great. I outrun Honda 300s with it all day. No not on a track just flat out. Not everybody is interested in clearing doubles and triples at the local track. I haven't had any problems with them at all. Winter or summer they start right up and go. Before anybody starts I also have a KTM dirt bike and a Yamaha raptor 660 and no I'm not saying that they are in the same league. But they are reliable and fun to ride. No you can't go out to anybody that sets up a dealership to sell china atvs without checking them out and doing some homework. There are knuckleheads in every business that are out just to get your money. Then there are people that are reputable. I have had three china dirt bikes and five china atvs and they all have been worth the money. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Wow! 2 years, and you're still speaking well of the Vbikes, CTIMGO?!

Now THAT is encouraging!

Seems to me that the mechanics on these Vbikes are pretty solid- I don't think I've seen one complaint about a bad engine or tranny. electrical? Well, I suppose ya takes your chances with just about anything these days...

I guess the one area of hesitation I still have is the frame and suspension. But if yours are still going good after 2 years...that says something....

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well as far as the frame and suspension go I can't complain. I weight 310 and am 6'2". Althought it isn't as comfortable as the 660 raptor it isn't that bad. I have done wheelies and jumped small hills without any problems so far. I have also jumped across downed trees when trail riding. I don't think I would try to clear any doubles or triples but small jumps don't bother me. My son loves his. The only thing that you need to be very watchful of is shipping damage. You can look at my pictures and see where the shipping company crashed into one of mine and did some minor damage. I got money from the shipping company to fix and Tim had the parts to me within 3 days.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let me correct the time that I have had the atvs to 1 year. I was thinking it was two years but the date of the pictures don't agree. Sorry

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Oh...well.... One year...they're hardly broken in yet! [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Aww...well...going by what some people say about these Chinx, you wouldn't think they'd last a week! A year is still encouraging!

I do believe that I am going to order me a Vbike any day now- maybe tomorrow. None of the V's have a recoil starter in addition to the electric, eh? (When ya pay $1200 for a quad, you expect frills!)

I just can't decide between the v4d and the v4sw. 4d's probably more practical for me...but everyone around here has utilities, and I like to be different (plus I'm sick of seeing 'em!)...and the v4sw does have a hitch (I wonder if a rear hitch can be mounted to the V4D?)...and the v4sw does have more ground clearance......

Choices, choices!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

Well...I took the plunge- just ordered a Vbike v4sw.

I'm scared!!

But, I figure...if it turns out to be cheesey, I can probably sell it in the summer and not lose too much. And from what some of you on this have said, I might even end up being pleasantly surprised.

I called Vbike, as I was trying to decide between the v4d and the v4sw, and I spoke to Tim- I kind've get the idea he was telling me what he thought I wanted to hear though- as I asked which had the beefier frame...and he told me both frames were the same; then he later told me that the v4sw had the beefier frame - I think he just wanted to sell me the higher priced one....but I was pretty much leaning toward that one anyway AND especially since he had it in green!!

But, we shall see.....

The only thing I'll be missing on that vs. the v4d is a front rack- Has anyone here outfitted theior v4sw with a front rack?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope you get the same satisfaction that I did with mine. The V4SW wasn't available when I got mine. Its still pretty new I think. There have been a couple people on here that have bought the same one as you. They say that the suspension on the V4SW model is beefier than the V4S. Keep us updated.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CTIMGO

I hope you get the same satisfaction that I did with mine. The V4SW wasn't available when I got mine. Its still pretty new I think. There have been a couple people on here that have bought the same one as you. They say that the suspension on the V4SW model is beefier than the V4S. Keep us updated.</end quote></div>

Thank! You really helped me to make the decision- knowing if it works for someone who's bigger than I, it should be O-K with li'l 6'/210 lb me. (And espesh if the v4sw has a beefier suspension)

Looking at the vbike site today, trying to make a decision, I was even considering the v4s....I think it is their best looking bike!

S'pposed to get it Tuesdy[sic] or so...after I get it assembled, pics and videos will be forthcoming!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Chinese ATV's

With Chinese manufactures I have found that some the stuff is really good but some can be really bad.

All my life I have been into bikes and quads I currently own a WR450, but I also own a chinese quad and I have to say its an amazing machine.

It came with all the main manufacturing parts like renthel chain and sprocket.

So all I can say is research the engines one of the best chinese engines is a Loncin engine. Beware though because there are other chinese makes called lonchin these are actually a copy off a chinese engine by another chinese company.

Check the parts on it like NGK plugs renthal chain etc.

I bought my quad from a company in Sheffield check it out I went for the 250cc one and so far ive had it over a year and it runs perfectly. The web address is www.rebelracingquads.co.uk

Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by reconranger
Got to say that being old enough to remember the dirt bike days when there were no other manufacturers besides the big 4 (and a few minor Europeans), I consider Polaris, A-Cat, and CanAm to be newcomer wanabee "off brands" as well! Why are these companies stuck on producing overly heavy belt drive utilities????

New comers, Polaris made ATV since the early 90s. They all made high powered sleds for 40 years so a ATV is no big leap, a ATV is not a space shuttle where experience is important.