Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beartracker owners please report

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in possibly trading my Blaster in on a new Beartracker and would like some input from some Beartracker owners.How is this machine as a trail quad?All of my riding is technical trail riding and general goofing around.How does a B.T. handle the trails is the suspension up to the task?I encounter alot of off camber hills and turns and was curious as to whether the single a-arm McPherson strut suspension of the B.T. can handle this kind of riding the a-arms look like they are off of a truck.Also I encounter alot of trail obstacles does this machine have enough ***** to pop the front wheels up to wheelie over stuff? Also can you ride a wheelie on this machine?And most important is this quad reliable I've had some problems with the Blaster but they may be of my own doing.Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-07-2001, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

I'm probably not one to comment, as I've never owned or ridden a beartracker, but since no one else has tried to help I will. I believe the beartracker was based on the timberwolf and I have spent some time on it. I was actually a bit disappointed in the timberwolf. It seemed under-suspended for realy aggressive trail riding, and a bit under-powered as well. I'm sure it was a good quad for the money and depending on what kind of riding the purchaser perfered. I'm sure the beartracker won't pull wheelies nearly as easily as your blaster. I would greatly consider a different bike if you're wanting to "move up" from your blaster. It may be more practical for hauling camping equiptment, or some tools and stuff, if this is your fancy. I'm sure it has electric starting, obviously easier than kicking on the blaster, and an automatic clutch making riding more casual, but I'd sacrifice all these goodies if I just want to go out, raise h*ll and get hurt on my bike, which is what I like to do. Check the Yamaha forum if you've not yet. Someone there will help maybe. Best of luck.

Old 01-07-2001, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

It is a decent machine. But I would not buy another one. I would get another Recon first. The Bear has had some problems for us. The plastic on ours is brittle in the cold. The machine is tippy feeling. My son can bottom out the suspension on the bear on some jumps. I can go over the same jumps on the Recon and not bottom out and I weigh 120 lbs more then him. The rear brake assembly is always catching sticks and jamming the brake cables. The gearing on the bear is not very good. 1st is very low and second is really high compared to it. Often to go up snow banks I have to start in second and then quickly downshift into first to keep the tires turning whereas on the Recon 2nd gear will normally take me up and over. Riding wheelies is possible but again due to the strange gearing it is next to impossible to ride one very far. The worst thing about the quad IMHO is the reverse. The design is old and to me dangerous.

Old 01-07-2001, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

thank you for the input.I went riding today on the blaster with a couple of my friends they all had 4wd while I had aheck of a time riding in the 2 inches of snow they all went with no problem so I may start researching a 4wd quad.I'm not real crazy about the extra weight it sure would be nice to go through just about anything.