Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?

Agreed. And there are no buttons or hidden tricks for reverse on the AC either. Push the lever forward, pull it backward.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

Yeah, my Suzuki's gear selector is straight forward and back with no gates. Plus, a 4x4 system that requires rear wheel slippage to engage the front wheels is NOT "true 4wd". Any of the Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, ACs, or Can-ams that are equipped with 4x4 and a diff-lock are "true 4wd." I left out Honda because I don't think that any of them are available with a diff-lock.</end quote></div>

If the rear wheels can,t slip than why would care is the front wheels engage? Once the rear wheels slip they have to slip together causing both fronts wheels to engage at once (No one wheel drive front end stuff,thats true 4wd to me). I bet the Suzuki has to have a brake held or a button pushed to go into reverse.

I plow snow with a 660 Grizzly and holding the brake to get into reverse is annoying after 15 times believe me.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This Polaris AWD thing has been argued plenty of other times. Its similar to the Visko lock (which i hear they may have improved this year, wonder why) one tire has to lose traction for the other to kick in. IMO, that sucks

Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: v2rider

Agreed. And there are no buttons or hidden tricks for reverse on the AC either. Push the lever forward, pull it backward.</end quote></div>

I did not know that, I thought only Polaris had no safety feature for reverse, we are going to find a Fix for the 660 Grizzly to go into reverse without holding the brake,its that annoying when plowing.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: v2rider

This Polaris AWD thing has been argued plenty of other times. Its similar to the Visko lock (which i hear they may have improved this year, wonder why) one tire has to lose traction for the other to kick in. IMO, that sucks</end quote></div>

Not sure how the Visko Lock works but on the Polaris when the rear wheels spins it,s like a 3rd of a rotation and the fronts engagement is unnoticeable. Like I said if the rear wheels lose no traction than whats the point of having the front wheels engaged?

It just goes into AWD on demand,you do not get that hard to steer feeling like Difflock.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new artic cat 950, grizz 700 eps would be my two choices for something like that, cause you want weight and power with that kind of a grade.
Definetly would want a front and back winch for what your talking about.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Traction and easily shifting would be the most important, because plowing does not require much speed ,a 400 with low range will never run out of power and go like a tank when plowing. AWD or Diff lock can be overlooked If you plan on using chains,I think a 3x4 drive ATV with chains would have more traction than a 4x4 without chains on snow and ice.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

The poo rears are supposed to turn 1/5 rev or 20% more than the front to engage. Seems like holding the diff lock on would be a bit of a annoyance and a bit hard to steer. I like the weight of the poo, the shifting straight fw (Lo), straight back (R) with N in the middle. The kitty used to have the serpantine pattern where you had to go around the indents to shift. Guess if you got used to it works fine. I "think" you also have to go through H to get to low not sure though. The engagement you can not even feel come on. My wife has an outlander and I do not care for the visco-lok at all, have seen 3 tires spinning on ice and the one on solid ground not budge.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The steering while in diff lock on the 660 grizzly is beyond hard its almost impossible thats why it has a 10mph speed limiting senor while in dff lock. The 660's diff lock is seldom needed though when plowing it,s regular 4x4 mode seems to be enough for plowing from what I see.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They are hard to steer in 4x4 diff lock mode, but with AC you dont have to hold anything. You just flip a lever, and its locked in. I think its the BF that you have to hold a lever in

Quick Reply: Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?