Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?

Hi,

I'm looking for counsel on the best ATV to purchase to plow snow on a steep driveway, i.e. mfg, transmission, shifting to reverse, engine size, EFI, use of chains, type of tire tread, etc? Related questions have to do with the best snow plow, width of plow, mfg, etc? Also would like to use machine to climb hills to look for a moose in the fall. Live in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Thanks,

Zeke

Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Talk to Catterman, hes an Alaskan Moose hunter, he rides Arctic Cat, it can handle about anything you throw at it. Good weight for plowing, diff lock which comes in handy in snow, look at my pics. Im pretty set up. Swamplite tires hook up well in snow, but so do alot of others. Most people choose the 5 ft plows, carbon blade (spendy!)

Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

I am a Kawasaki man, but for that request....I say buy a Polaris. Nothing beats them for plowing and towing

TK

Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whoa, wait a second. He wants something to make out, and back again. Not into the dealership for repair a week later. (jk) Polaris is another good ride, caddilac like feel, comfortable, and heavy like arctic cat.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Never rode an Arctic Cat but, heard a lot of good things about them. I can say that you should narrow it down to a Polaris or Arctic Cat, something with efi, 500cc or above, stock tires will be fine if it's snow, once it turns to ice you may need chains but I'd wait on the tires, you can always change them later. The plow should be no less than 60". Any less than that you be making more passes than needed and you'll have plenty of wheeler to push an even bigger plow but 60" is a good size. If you get more than 2' at a time.........buy a tractor. Hope that helps. That's from my experience anyway. Except the Arctic Cat part of course.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

3 things make the Polaris better for plowing,Its heavier weight even the 500cc is 700lbs,true AWD,and they have the only tranny that can go from forward to reverse without a annoying and time consuming safety procedure being involved.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

The forward/reverse feature of the Polaris is awesome for plowing. No maze to through, buttons to push, levers to pull, just shove it straight forward and pull it straight back. Good point TLC.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How is that different from AC? Forward and reverse. And true AWD isnt always the best, you meant to say "limited slip". AC has "TRUE" 4x4 with the diff locker.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Polaris has no limited slip 4x4(3x4) action,its AWD system has no need for diff lock. When you put a AC in reverse you do not need to hold a brake,be in neutral or push a button or some procedure like that?

Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, my Suzuki's gear selector is straight forward and back with no gates. Plus, a 4x4 system that requires rear wheel slippage to engage the front wheels is NOT "true 4wd". Any of the Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, ACs, or Can-ams that are equipped with 4x4 and a diff-lock are "true 4wd." I left out Honda because I don't think that any of them are available with a diff-lock.

Quick Reply: Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?