Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

? on belt drive trannies

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on belt drive trannies

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>My buddies who have belt drives are in and out of low range a hundred times a day! </end quote></div>

It would have to be a crazy hill to need low range. I use low for 10 miles an hour of less. You can go up steep hills in high as long as your going faster, or slow but all 4 wheels are throwing rooster tails.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

My cousin has a 500 Scrambler with "no low range at all" and it will get to the top of any hill thats do able by and other ATV around here. He will not crawl up a steep hill like I can with low range,he just hangs on for dear life and does air at the top. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>However, since I don't, give me the automatic any day. Riding all day in the forested mountains offers continually varying terrain - terrain best suited for a CVT automatic.</end quote></div>

I think the manufacturers agree because there are only 5 Utility ATVs still being made made that are still 5 speeds and none are there big bore models.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CVT is more forgivable in big bore

Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deanz400

CVT is more forgivable in big bore</end quote></div>

What do you mean by forgivable? Even when the Utility ATV is the in the same engine size class the 5 speeds are far from the top of its class. The 400 Big Bear can not to stay close to a 400 Grizzly and a 500 Foreman is one of the most underpowered Utilities in the 500cc class.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

A Honda anything is the most underpowered utility in its class. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

forgivable would mean ,that with abig bore ,a CVT there can be a little bit of slippage ,with a manual your tranny has to be heavier to absorb the power transfer other wise you'd have breakage

Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

A Honda anything is the most underpowered utility in its class. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

While I'll agree that Honda quads do not come off the showroom floor sporting the most potent powerplants, I will defend them to the degree that they are one of the most stable, better handling sport utes out there. The ride is acceptably comfortable as well. I bought a honda rubicon for my girlfriend to ride due to its incredible stability on off-cambers. No need for her to be riding around on something with monster ground clearance with more power than she (or anyone for that matter) really needs on tight, technical trails. Since she is fairly new to riding ATVs off-road. This quad is perfect for her and I'd highly recommend one for anybody who is new to technical trail riding. They're fun to ride even for the experienced rider as well.

The 4-wheel engine braking on the rubicon is also unmatched. The thing pretty much pilots itself down steep hills. All the rider has to do is keep the quad pointed in the right direction. Again, great convenience feature for a broad range of riding abilities.

It's plenty powerful enough, however, to keep up with the pace at which we normally ride. When we ride in the mountains, we may need to ride on public roads when exiting from one set of trails to get to another set of trails. This is the only time we need to ride at 50 + mph (which the Rubicon does admirably).

Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Even Honda does not have many 5 speed Utilities anylonger there top of the line 680 Rincon and Rubicon use a different system.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

yea isn't that set up like a cars tranny

Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

has anyone ever raced a cvt vs a manual tranny

Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

i've raced a 350 big bear full time 4x4 beat him about 3 bike lenghts and a 230 ttr dirt bike he beat me about 4 bike lenghts in about a 200 ft drag on gravel road

Quick Reply: ? on belt drive trannies