Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

? on belt drive trannies

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? on belt drive trannies

go on you tube inthe atv section and you'll see all sorts of races between them

Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or are you taking MX style racing ,I've seen some local ones race

Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. I've learned more about belt drives in this one thread than my dealer will ever tell me.

Basically you cats have answered all my power questions regarding the "lack of take off" power in the new Grizzly 350 I just picked up. The slow starts are something I am just not accustomed to jumping off a Polaris Sportsman 400 with chain drive.

The infinite power curves with the new Yammy are going to be nice for my son and I think the slow decents it will provide by the belt naturally slowly the bike down on inclines will be a safety feature my son might not enjoy but it might save his **** one day.

Thanks for all of you guys and the knowledge you pass on to us.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'm confused now. Doesn't a 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400 have a belt drive transmission? Also, isn't the 400 from then a 2-stroke engine? You're comparing a 2-stroke 400 to a 4-stroke 350? Both with belt-driven transmissions?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Polaris is a belt transmission...I meant chain drive to axle. My transmission has never slipped on my Sportsman primarily because I don't abuse it. It has never been in water over the tires and I don't sling mud and stuff like that. I think that's why it is holding up so well. It has 1200 plus miles on it.

As far as a side by side dead stand still take off between the 1996 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 auto and the brand new 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Auto direct drive: there is no comparison my friends, NONE the old Sportsman leaves the Grizzly so far behind its not a comparison.

Technology may be getting better.....but some old things will still match up with new things. I'll take a 97 Ford powerstroke over a new 6.0L any old day. That kind of thing.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

mine is belt driven trans with chain final drive. i can pull the front wheels off the ground from a dead stop with it in high range. the only time i use low when riding is to go downhill.mine is old school so i don't have ebs or adc so i use the tranny to slow it. i never use low when hillclimbing. i did it once on a muddy hill and did't make it had to turn it around on the hill NOT FUN.but i did make it in high range. more wheel speed is your friend when hillclimbing.i like the shaft driven better no worrys about the chain coming off or breaking.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>My transmission has never slipped on my Sportsman primarily because I don't abuse it. It has never been in water over the tires and I don't sling mud and stuff like that.</end quote></div>

You should of bought a golf cart.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We have a 97 Sportsman that has 7000 miles and 2000 miles of those was water up to it,s seat. Water can only get in the belt if you go in water deeper than the water proof belt housing's air intakes which are located at gas tank height.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ha! No offence taken. I just believe in taking care of my stuff I guess. I have boats for back water excursions.
In my wilder high school days I raced bored out 350 chevy's and the likes. I totalled three of my cars and out ran highway troopers several times. Fortunately for me I lived to outgrow those careless days....but a golf cart won't do 55 on a dirt road so I opted for an ATV.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: timberjax

As far as a side by side dead stand still take off between the 1996 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 auto and the brand new 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Auto direct drive: there is no comparison my friends, NONE the old Sportsman leaves the Grizzly so far behind its not a comparison. </end quote></div>

I believe you but the 400 in the Sportsman is a 2-stroke engine. 2-stroke engines are inherently faster than 4-stroke engines so I'm not sure it's an apples-to-apples comparison. It's like comparing the towing power of a gas engine to a larger displacement diesel engine. The diesel engine will out tow the gas engine. Well...yeah!!

Either way, I'm happy you like the Sportsman. I used to own a 1996 Polaris Magnum 425. It was a good workhorse for me but it was harder to manage on the trails than my 2005 Yamaha Grizzly.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have 1600 miles on my stock belt, and it still looks new. My ATV has been through Hell and back, and will flip over on top of me from a dead stop if i want it to. Its all preference, and opinion. Neither is superior to the other. I can also climb a hill, wether in 4x4 or not, with ease. I could climb the same hill any other will climb (excluding sand dunes) just as well. That having to stop or slow other down is bull sh*t. That was a fabricated lie to back up your own purchase.

Quick Reply: ? on belt drive trannies