Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help deciding on which mid size utility atv

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding on which mid size utility atv

I need some information on the good and the bad on some mid size ATV's. I need a new machine for elk hunting next year in some very remote and isolated mountains in Montana and Idaho which I've hunted for many years. It will be used as transportation from base camp at 8600 hundred feet up to 11000 ft to hunting areas which are a few miles away, on some legal but muddy and some times snowy trails in late Oct and Nov. I am looking at dependability, a comfortable ride, and some thing that will start at sub-zero temperatures. At this time I'm considering the Kawasaki 360, the Suzuki Eiger or 400 King Quad, and maybe the Arctic Cat 400. If should I decide to spend more money and go to a fuel injected engine, would a Yamaha 450 or the Suzuki 450 be a better choice. On my old arctic cat I used Mud bug tires with very good results, is there any better tire at this time for my new atv? I have not kept up with new technology on ATV's and tires the last few years. Keep in mind the winter conditions that the machine will be used in and my needs are for that time of year. Thanks, Bill

Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first thought is that EFI is almost a must for that altitude of riding, all of your first group are not EFI. Also BTW, the Eiger and the 400 King Quad are exactly the same bike - the KQ just has new plastic. There are many aftermarkey tires out there, just look for a semi-agressive tread design to handle the mud and snow. Overall for what you want to do the 400 class machines will be big enough however I think that to get EFI you'll need to get a larger size machine.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Honda Rancher 420. It is fuel injected, and I ride mine mostly between 4,000 and 11,000'...no big deal. Starts just fine at altitude and in the cold. Mine is a year old and absolutely no problems. A real peach!!!

Probably best to avoid the ES shifting option!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

You didn't mention 2 of the best selling atvs out Polaris Sportsman and Can Am Outlander.
Both come in several differant cc and have EFI, the way to go in mnt's and cold weather!
I choose Polaris because of how well built they are!

Never heard of Honda or Kaw snowmobiles!
Ski-Doo (Cam-Am) Polaris and Artic Cat rule in your neck of the woods and there ATV's do also!

I see your familiar with Artic Cat, there new machines are very good! The smaller cc Cats use Suzuki engines and the H series are Hemi Cat built engines.

ITP Mudlites are very good bias mud tire and Big Horn Radials are best for everything else but deep mud!

Find a dealer with all the differant makes so you can compare them sitting side by side. It easy to see which ones are built better!
Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Buy the gear drive, manual shift models
Yamaha Big Bear
Suzuki Eiger, or Vinson, Manual, shift machines
( the Eiger and Vinson come in either auto or manual)
The older Artiric Cats 400 and 500 also come in manual
the automatic cvt belt drive models don't work, the belts slip when they get wet

Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BarrtRice

Buy the gear drive, manual shift models

Yamaha Big Bear

Suzuki Eiger, or Vinson, Manual, shift machines

( the Eiger and Vinson come in either auto or manual)

The older Artiric Cats 400 and 500 also come in manual

the automatic cvt belt drive models don't work, the belts slip when they get wet</end quote></div>

Yeah really take BarrtRice advice, sounds like he knows something! All big atvs are belt drive and they don't work! Wonder why anyone would buy one?HAHA