Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which of these would you buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of these would you buy

I have never owned an ATV and am looking to purchase my first one. Because I want a dealership that is somewhat close, I have narrowed it down to a Honda Rancher 4x4 ES or manual and a Yamaha Grizzley 450 4x4. I will be using it for trail riding and some mud and for a little farm work. I have seen these prices posted online.

FourTrax® Rancher® 4x4 ES Price $4,983.00
FourTrax® Rancher® 4x4 (manual) Price $4,833.00*
Grizzly 450 Auto. 4x4 Price $5,294.00

Which of these would you buy and why?

Are these prices rock bottom or have any of you negotiated a better out the door price at your dealer?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been able to warm up to belt drive autos, so I have the Rancher. Excellent machine! Great handling, descent suspension, ultra stable SRA ride. Fuel injected and water cooled. Very snappy power! My old Rancher 350 is going on 10 years old, without a single problem. Fair number of posts about problems with the ES system, so it's buyer beware on that one.....

I rode with a Griz 450 the other day. We did a deep snow ride, and even with IRS he didn't make it any further in the deep snow than I did. He did complain that it was underpowered.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

is that the rancher 420 4x4's for that price? if so, go with that. that is the best feature laden, best valued atv on the market right now. think about it: 4x4, efi, watercooled, quality....but dont get the ES. its proven problematic... how hard is it to shift anyway? i certainly understand if you have a viable disability but the ES is just going to **** you off.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes these prices are for the 420 4x4. They are posted dealer links from this board. I guess you get locking diff, Auto and IRS with the Grizzly. Rancher you get Honda reliability, no belts and a cheaper price? Reliabilty is a big thing with me. I woulden't mind a locking diff for those few times I might need it but I am not going to be doing extreme riding. I can't make my mind up between auto, ES and manual. I used to ride street bikes in my younger days and they had a clutch. I guess a manual would be fine. : )

Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

the grizzly hands down. to be straight forward, honda sucks. the grizzly is more advanced than the honda.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

If you gave an explanation as to why "honda sucks" maybe people would actually use your advice. But when you go bash a company or atv and do not give an explanation why i wouldnt take ur advice.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DS650powe

If you gave an explanation as to why "honda sucks" maybe people would actually use your advice. But when you go bash a company or atv and do not give an explanation why i wouldnt take ur advice.</end quote></div>

Agree whole heartedly!! Too many people bashing does not help the individual make a good choice based on good advice![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DS650powe

If you gave an explanation as to why "honda sucks" maybe people would actually use your advice. But when you go bash a company or atv and do not give an explanation why i wouldnt take ur advice.</end quote></div>

Hondas are good atvs but they have rested on that and the other atvs have far passed them! EFI, water cooled, front locker and IRS are features you want. The Honda engines are under powered compared to the other brands etc...

Old 02-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I agree with RickCJ7 as far as resting on their reputation. I had a Kodiak 450 and a Honda Rubicon. The Kodiak, in my opinion, was a much funner and better bike. For the extra $300 you get a locker, IRS and higher ground clearance. If you like to beat them though, remember the IRS has more parts that could go bad.
Hope this helps.
Buck

Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

grizzly 100%