Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

rancher, grizzly or sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default rancher, grizzly or sportsman?

Out of those three choices I think I'd have to go with the Rancher 420 with the GPS.

The Grizzly 450 has all the nice features like IRS and a front locker, and a good CVT transmission. But it has a fairly poor engine that is down on power compared to the others, and that vibrates as bad as any ATV on the planet. Yamaha needs to re-think their 421cc engine.

The Sportsman 500 is a good ATV that makes reasonable power and has good IRS suspension. The McPherson struts on the front aren't much to brag about though, and all wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive is a negative for me. The main problem with the Sportsman is its size and weight. It is so heavy that it does not have the mid-size sportier feel of the 400 to 500 class ATVs, but it doesn't have the power of the big bore ATVs either.

The Honda Rancher is light, handles good, has a good little engine. It has reasonable suspension, even without the IRS. No locker is a disadvantage, but most people that buy mid-size ATVs aren't looking for every bell and whistle either.

DV

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

Out of those three choices I think I'd have to go with the Rancher 420 with the GPS.

The Grizzly 450 has all the nice features like IRS and a front locker, and a good CVT transmission. But it has a fairly poor engine that is down on power compared to the others, and that vibrates as bad as any ATV on the planet. Yamaha needs to re-think their 421cc engine.

The Sportsman 500 is a good ATV that makes reasonable power and has good IRS suspension. The McPherson struts on the front aren't much to brag about though, and all wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive is a negative for me. The main problem with the Sportsman is its size and weight. It is so heavy that it does not have the mid-size sportier feel of the 400 to 500 class ATVs, but it doesn't have the power of the big bore ATVs either.

The Honda Rancher is light, handles good, has a good little engine. It has reasonable suspension, even without the IRS. No locker is a disadvantage, but most people that buy mid-size ATVs aren't looking for every bell and whistle either.

DV</end quote></div>

AWD is 4WD!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...7Y0WE&feature=related

Poor Honda!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...yS2i-w&feature=related

Old 04-11-2008 | 06:29 AM
Range Rover

One video would never convince me not to buy a Honda. Proves nothing to me. Maybe the driver is worst with no clue how to drive, tires may be worst, etc.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well, since the only thing we know is that it will be rough riding then you have to vote sportsman.

Old 04-11-2008 | 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Capita

One video would never convince me not to buy a Honda. Proves nothing to me. Maybe the driver is worst with no clue how to drive, tires may be worst, etc.</end quote></div>

A pic is worth a thousand words! Its easy to see what 4wd and a heavier machine can do. Its hard to screw up a tug of war.

Wanna hook your Honda to my Polaris?

Old 04-11-2008 | 11:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The Grizzly 450 has all the nice features like IRS and a front locker, and a good CVT transmission. But it has a fairly poor engine that is down on power compared to the others, and that vibrates as bad as any ATV on the planet. Yamaha needs to re-think their 421cc engine. </end quote></div>

The 421cc is rated at 26hp as is the 420 Honda ,so its about were a 420 should be. the 500 Foreman is rated at only 27hp while most 500 are 30-35hp. Honda Utility are know to be underpowered compared to most other makes.

Old 04-11-2008 | 02:16 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Ahhhh, again someone trots out those useless AT THE CRANK horsepower numbers from an engine run on a bench. These don't take into account important things like the weight of the machine (and how much of that is sprung and how much is unsprung), tires/rims, that heavy winch, etc., etc. Lots of big bore utilities look impressive, until you realize that they weigh hundreds of pounds more than the smaller machines.

And, without knowing at what rpm the engine makes that horsepower and at what rpm it makes maximum torque.....it's all just a pretty worthless bunch of numbers....but if your favorite machine looks good "on paper" and it makes you feel better, well then go ahead and keep fooling yourself!

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone has their likes & dislikes but feature to feature I will stick with Polaris. Ride, AWD which is true 4X4 without having to go through the diff lock thing. Being as I work mine pulling logs & plowing the weight & shift pattern are a plus.

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC
The 421cc is rated at 26hp as is the 420 Honda ,so its about were a 420 should be. the 500 Foreman is rated at only 27hp while most 500 are 30-35hp. Honda Utility are know to be underpowered compared to most other makes.</end quote></div>

They may be rated the same, but the Honda 420cc Rancher feels like it has a significantly more peppy engine than the Yamaha 420cc engine. Between these two ATVs the Honda is more fun to ride, irregardless of the actual HP ratings.

Old 04-11-2008 | 10:33 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Ahhhh, again someone trots out those useless AT THE CRANK horsepower numbers from an engine run on a bench. These don't take into account important things like the weight of the machine (and how much of that is sprung and how much is unsprung), tires/rims, that heavy winch, etc., etc. Lots of big bore utilities look impressive, until you realize that they weigh hundreds of pounds more than the smaller machines.

And, without knowing at what rpm the engine makes that horsepower and at what rpm it makes maximum torque.....it's all just a pretty worthless bunch of numbers....but if your favorite machine looks good "on paper" and it makes you feel better, well then go ahead and keep fooling yourself!</end quote></div>

Well actually my best friend I ride with has a new 07 500 Foreman (See Pics) mine and his ATV are both 500 Utilities and his ATV is 100lb lighter. When we let them go side by side from a dead stop, at no time are they ever even close to each other,start, middle, finish or top end. The Foreman is just plain left behind ,no contest.

We actually thought the Foreman was maybe not even running right but found out its the way it is. The Foreman is rated at 27 and the 500 h.o is rated at 36 and we both have to agree with that from our experiences.

Quick Reply: rancher, grizzly or sportsman?