Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

what introductry atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up everyone I just joined and I need your help already. I'VE never owned a quad, but thinking seriously about getting into the sport. I'm Kinda of leaning toward 2 or3 different ones. 1) IS THE POLARIS TRAILBOSS ,2) is the BEARTRACKER AND WOLVERINE 4X4 AND THE HONDA RECON OR THE NEW 250EX. as you can see price is a concern. Most of the riding (or trying to ride) I'll be doing is just for fun and recreation. any suggestions will be very helpful thanks Doug

Old 01-20-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Here's my two-cents worth.

Polaris- reliability relative to other quads has been an issue in the past.

Yamaha- a good quad overall. question your choice of model as compared to the Honda Recon which is only 2WD

Honda Recon- another good quad that has a sporty feel for it's class. However, never could understand why Honda didn't add an oil filter in the engine design

Beartracker- Yamaha's replacement for their Timberwolf which had a strong reputation for being underpowered. Same basic design but with a modified stoke and larger intake. Could not tell you if this one performs bettter.

250EX- great quad for pure sport. Will be out of place if you intend to do any utility work with it.

Old 01-21-2001, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Doug

I don't have any experience with the yamaha's that you mentioned, so I cannot comment on them. I own a Polaris Trailboss 325 and it is a pretty good machine. The reliability problems all generally stem from pre 97 Polaris models. My 98 and 00 Polaris's have been tough as nails. The trail boss is a fun machine to ride, but not overly powerful. My buddy has a 00 Recon. It is also a good machine. The only thing I don't like about it is that it felt too small for me to ride. The trail boss is my wife's primary ride, but I like to take it on runs. The recon is also not the most powerful machine out there. Both the Recon and Trailboss will run about 43-48 in stock form. I would ride as many machines as you can and decide which one feels the best for you. Post another reply if you have any specific questions.

Old 01-21-2001, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost bought a trailboss for my wife,however,I did NOT like the idea of not having a low range on it.I bought her a Recon.It is a perfect entre level ATV for her size.Heck,I even like riding the thing on occasions myself,but when I get off it and on to the Xplorer,its like im now on a monster mudder!
Bill

Old 01-21-2001, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

The best thing for you to do is to find some buddys and hop on their machines and see what you like and dislike. A avt club would be a good place to find that out to. I own a kawasaki Bayou 220 and I like it for what it is ment for. Like the Recon, it is a smaller machine, but the Recon is a sporty and fun machine that can work too, which is nice. I've ridden the Recon and I liked it alot, it has good and peppy power. I've also ridden the Polaris trailboss which isn't a too bad of a choice either, it has the bigger quad feel. If you're a bigger guy, I'd go with the Polaris, if not, the Recon would be a great choice.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Old 01-24-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

gren

Does $3,731 include tax and title? If that is the price of the machine, it is a little high. I paid 3,300 for my wifes 2000 trail boss. With tax and title it came to around $3550. Hope this helps. I know they raised the price of the 2001 models due to making some improvements to them.

Old 01-24-2001, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

ya that's out the door and with the 1% farmers tax, maybe I can talk to them alittle more. I thought it was high to. thanks for your help

Old 01-24-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Too bad you don't live here in Texas. You can apply for a Farm and Ranch tax exemption and not pay any sales tax on a new ATV.

Old 01-24-2001, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

i'm not hating polaris, but just my 2 cents.. the polaris is is kinda overweight..honda'z and yamaha are known for lightweight..and long term reliablilty..it weighs 461lb..compared to a 250ex 349lbs....so if you say it's sporty..it's a bit overweight....i've found beartrackers..for 2,999 at my local dealer the 2000 models..laterz

2000 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 4X4
2000 YAMAHA KODIAK 4X4