Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help from those with more experience!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from those with more experience!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tinner2500

Okay, so now after researching and test riding some, I have come up with different options.... Now looking at either 08 AC 700 EFI, or for same money leftover 07 Kawi BF750i. I know the BF is carbureted rather than EFI, and that is one of my major concerns, not knowing how big a deal it really is considering that a few years back none were EFI. I like the ride on both (although completely different). I like the fact that the BF has backup recoil starting ability, in case the battery goes south while out in the field.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have my current bike (04 Honda 400EX) all cleaned up an dready to put up for sale, so plan to pull the trigger soon. (If any are interested in the 400EX pm me for info and pics) Thanks.</end quote></div>

I really not a big fan of the suspension on either of the bikes you mention. Over the long run and think you would find the BF more reiable than the AC machine.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Dragginbutt...So what about your 660 Yamaha Raptor? I bet it's faster than my Kawasaki Prairie 700 and would probably keep up with the Cat 700 he was looking at.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, you are right. Although I feel I am being baited here, yes I own one. And ride it occasionally... but more and more it sits there as most of my current riding has been trail riding in the mountains where I need 4x4 abilities. I bought a 500 class Rubicon and that was prety much all that Honda had at teh time. I had actually gone down to purchase a 500 yamaha Kodiak, but the deal I got on teh Honda was too good to pass up and it has been a good choice.

I am lucky that I can choose the machine for the job when I go riding. When I upgraded from my warrior, the 660 was pretty much the only thing available at the time. Why did I need it? Basically I had gained a hundred pounds, and wanted something with a little bit more handling etc. I am also 6'3" and weigh in around 300 pounds so finding something that "fits" is also an issue. I could have waited a couple years for the 450, but it wasn't available at the time. The 450 has proven to be a faster bike by the way and way more than what I needed. I'd still look at the 700 Raptor over the 450 by the way.

My comments are genuine.. but understand I am human too. I've bene looking at the new 550 Grizzly with a passion. It is identical to the 700 Grizzly with a smaller bore. I really think I am going to get one.. but like most humans, I look at the 800 dollars price difference between it and the 700 and say what the heck. Why not.

The point I am trying to make is that when searching for a new machine, the NEED for more power is probably not all that critical or honest. I still believe a 500 class machine will do 90 percent of what most people NEED a machine to do. Putting a big bore underneath me is not predicated on NEED, it is more ego at that point.

On a tight mountain trail, I can't say there is much of a difference. At least that is the case with my riding style. I am a little beyond the need to go fast, and don't ride these things to their potential so the difference is moot in my book.

What I find hilarious is the guy who oes out and buys a big bore 4x4 abd then goes out and tries to see how much "Air" he can get with it. Come on, jumping a big bore 4x4? That is an oxy moron.... and the reason I have a sport quad in the first place.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I find hilarious is the guy who oes out and buys a big bore 4x4 abd then goes out and tries to see how much "Air" he can get with it. Come on, jumping a big bore 4x4? That is an oxy moron.... and the reason I have a sport quad in the first place.

It sounds like you know my two friends who ride Grizzly 660s. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And so far a 500 has done <u>100%</u> of what I asked it to. It's not as quick as a 600-950cc but can out-tow a lot of the competition. Speed doesn't mean much when you can only get up to 15-20 mph on a trail no matter how big the engine is. A wimpy old Trailblazer can easily keep up most places I ride. The only reason I want something as big as a 500 is for plowing snow and pulling trees. I don't want anything that's going to do nothing more besides burn a lot of extra gas.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Dragginbutt: I agree with your assessment as can be seen earlier in the thread. A 500 class machine can do 90% of what needs to be done. I honestly ride the Sportsman 500 more than the Kawi 700.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly my point. The only reason I would consider upgrading at this point is that a) the machine would have EFI, and b) the machine would have EPS. As I get older, the EPS really is a God send. I spend teh majority of my time muscling an older Rubicon that is in 4x4 all the time. It can be a chore some times to steer it.

After riding mine for a couple hours in tight trails, then jumping on a Grizzly 550 with EPS, I thought I had died and went to heaven. It was a HUGE improvement. The only reason I'd go with the 700 versus the 550 is because there isn't a great deal of price difference. Otherwise the machines are the same. For $800, I might just as well. I don't honestly think it will be any faster, or that I will notice a difference in power. Besides, if I need to pull anything heavy, I would still use the Rubicon.

I am talking purely a comfort based decision at this point. I could be just as happy on the 550... but when considering resale etc, or in my case, when I kick and the kids need to liquidate my estate, I think the 700 would be easier to dispose of. There are a lot more guys out there that are convinced they need the bigger machines. I am not one of them though...

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you one other thing. I have a slight handicap to deal with as well. So comfort is paramount to me, and reliability is also at the top of any of my lists. I can't walk out like most people. I do just fine on level pavement, but put me on uneven dirt with hills and I stand a much better chance of survival if I stay with the machine and wait for rescue. Walking is not an option at that point.

After spending the past 4 summers on crutches recovering from 7 knee surgeries, and 1 to repair a severely crushed ankle (same leg), then you can understand when I way it is number one in my book. I feel pretty darn lucky that I do not have to use my cane any more. If you remember Joe Thiesman's ankle injury, then you know what I am going through. The first thing the emergency room Doc talked about was amputation... it was that bad.

The tibia broke off, and the fibula could only be described as totally exploded/shattered. They could not count the pieces there were so many. I have multiple steel plates with numerous screws holding the bigger chunks together but considering the alternative, you won't hear me complain.